Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
687 replies to this topic

#166    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,707 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Just curious ... I know Project Paperclip (wiki link ) is as true as the historical records states but how about this one :

Project MKUltra was the code name of a U.S. government covert research operation experimenting in the behavioral engineering of humans (mind control) through the CIA's Scientific Intelligence Division. The program began in the early 1950s, was officially sanctioned in 1953, was reduced in scope in 1964, further curtailed in 1967 and officially halted in 1973.[1] The program engaged in many illegal activities;[2][3][4][5] in particular it used unwitting U.S. and Canadian citizens as its test subjects, which led to controversy regarding its legitimacy.[6][7][8][9] MKUltra involved the use of many methodologies to manipulate people's mental states and alter brain functions, including the surreptitious administration of drugs (especially LSD) and other chemicals, hypnosis, sensory deprivation, isolation, verbal and sexual abuse, as well as various forms of torture.[10]
The scope of Project MKUltra was broad, with research undertaken at 80 institutions, including 44 colleges and universities, as well as hospitals, prisons and pharmaceutical companies.[11] The CIA operated through these institutions using front organizations, although sometimes top officials at these institutions were aware of the CIA's involvement.[12]

link

conspiracy bunk ?

Project MKULTRA, or MK-ULTRA, was the code name for a covert, illegal CIA human research program, run by the Office of Scientific Intelligence. This official U.S. government program began in the early 1950s, continuing at least through the late 1960s, and it used U.S. and Canadian citizens as its test subjects.[1][2][3][4]
The published evidence indicates that Project MKULTRA involved the use of many methodologies to manipulate individual mental states and alter brain functions, including the surreptitious administration of drugs and other chemicals, sensory deprivation, isolation, and verbal and sexual abuse.
Project MKULTRA was first brought to wide public attention in 1975 by the U.S. Congress, through investigations by the Church Committee, and by a presidential commission known as the Rockefeller Commission. Investigative efforts were hampered by the fact that CIA Director Richard Helms ordered all MKULTRA files destroyed in 1973; the Church Committee and Rockefeller Commission investigations relied on the sworn testimony of direct participants and on the relatively small number of documents that survived Helms' destruction order.[5]

Princeton edu link

THE CIA'S PROGRAM OF RESEARCH IN BEHAVIORAL MODIFICATION

Wednesday, August 3, 1977 U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, and Subcommittee on Health & Scientific Research of the Committee on Human Resources
Following is an excerpt of an opening statement from Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.).
Senator KENNEDY. Thank you very much, Mr. Chairman. We are delighted to join together in this very important area of public inquiry and public interest.
Some 2 years ago, the Senate Health Subcommittee heard chilling testimony about the human experimentation activities of the Central Intelligence Agency. The Deputy Director of the CIA revealed that over 30 universities and institutions were involved in an "extensive testing and experimentation" program which included covert drug tests on unwitting citizens "at all social levels, high and low, native Americans and foreign." Several of these tests involved the administration of LSD to "unwitting subjects in social situations."

Science channel link

I seems to get conflicting feedback from people I meet .... its a hoax ... its a government cover up ....
what do you guys think ?

~

The knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God, as if He stood there and they here. This is not so. God and I, we are one in knowledge. ~ Eckhart

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#167    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,440 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

Sometimes the government investigates things like that but finds nothing of use.  They keep it a secret for several reasons (mainly they don't want to be criticized of wasting money).  Just about every government around has a few here and there who push to study such things, and sometimes they get it.  I dare say if anything of use were actually found we would never be told.

#168    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,323 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 01 June 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Just curious ... I know Project Paperclip (wiki link ) is as true as the historical records states but how about this one :

link

conspiracy bunk ?

Princeton edu link

Science channel link

I seems to get conflicting feedback from people I meet .... its a hoax ... its a government cover up ....
what do you guys think ?

~
not conspiracy bunk; the project was certainly real, but I think some of the things claimed of it were a little optimistic or exaggerated; all the stuff about mind control, for a start. There were a lot of things that the u.s. Govt, particularly in the 1950s, thought it might be worth spending sometimes not inconsiderable amounts on invesitgating, even if it largely turned out to be hogwash.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#169    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,707 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 01 June 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

not conspiracy bunk; the project was certainly real, but I think some of the things claimed of it were a little optimistic or exaggerated; all the stuff about mind control, for a start. There were a lot of things that the u.s. Govt, particularly in the 1950s, thought it might be worth spending sometimes not inconsiderable amounts on invesitgating, even if it largely turned out to be hogwash.

What about the senate hearings Colonel ? and the victims ? the stories are pretty intense from what I've gathered .... scary even ...

~

The knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God, as if He stood there and they here. This is not so. God and I, we are one in knowledge. ~ Eckhart

~

#170    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,323 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 01 June 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

What about the senate hearings Colonel ? and the victims ? the stories are pretty intense from what I've gathered .... scary even ...

~
Well, sometimes people claim all sorts of things, don't they, that the Govt. has been reading their mind, or attacking them with secret mind control weapons in order to drive them round the bend (often because they know too much about UFOs) :unsure2: ; but who knows, one of the reasons it was abandoned may have been because some of the things they tried did work, only not in the ways that they hoped, or in ways that might have been any use to them ... :unsure2:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#171    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,707 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 01 June 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

Well, sometimes people claim all sorts of things, don't they, that the Govt. has been reading their mind, or attacking them with secret mind control weapons in order to drive them round the bend (often because they know too much about UFOs) :unsure2: ; but who knows, one of the reasons it was abandoned may have been because some of the things they tried did work, only not in the ways that they hoped, or in ways that might have been any use to them ... :unsure2:

That much I can understand ... its the stories of the 'disappearing' witnesses ... the senate hearings being plowed under with corruption investigations ...

The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s. The five senators – Alan Cranston (Democrat of California), Dennis DeConcini (Democrat of Arizona), John Glenn (Democrat of Ohio), John McCain (Republican of Arizona), and Donald W. Riegle, Jr. (Democrat of Michigan) – were accused of improperly intervening in 1987 on behalf of Charles H. Keating, Jr., Chairman of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which was the target of a regulatory investigation by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board (FHLBB). The FHLBB subsequently backed off taking action against Lincoln.

link

... then everyone seems to just 'forget' anything ever happened ... just like that //

John Glenn Interview link

The Senate Papers Sub-Group contains 569 cubic feet of records documenting John Glenn's twenty-four years in the United States Senate.  First elected to the Senate in 1974, Glenn served four terms from 1975 through 1998.  In addition, the sub-group contains the records of his unsuccessful election campaigns for the U.S. Senate in 1964 and 1970.  Also included in the sub-group are materials documenting Glenn's political activities from 1965 to 1975, the period of time between his first unsuccessful bid for the U.S. Senate and his first elected term in office.  Notable among these materials are records from Glenn's affiliation with the 1968 presidential campaign of Robert F. Kennedy.  Other records cover his activities within the Ohio Democratic Party and his work as chairman of a task force formed by Governor John J. Gilligan in 1970 to study the environmental needs of the State of Ohio.

John Glenn papers link

John Glenn wiki link

Cold War Nonconsensual Experiments

3 Project MKULTRA, the CIA's Program of Research in Behavioral Modification before the ......
117 Senator John Glenn, Statements on Introduced Bills and Joint ...
pdf

Classified Experiments on Humans

This is the second time a major scandal involving human experiments for national security purposes has occurred. Past military and CIA experiments with toxic chemicals and for behavior modification were headline news in the 1970s. Congressional hearings uncovered illegal and extensive government programs including the CIA’s now infamous MKULTRA mind control experiments. As a result, a series of presidential executive orders were implemented.

link

the links that I collected years ago are disappearing fast .... :lol:

It does give pause to all the conspiracy theorists don;t you think ?

~

~

#172    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Telekinetic

• 7,374 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 01 June 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

~

Sorry I can't provide a link, but I've read stories about the involvment of the Canadian school, McGill University, that was very much involved in the MKUltra project.

Project Paperclip was very real.

#173    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,707 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 01 June 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Sorry I can't provide a link, but I've read stories about the involvment of the Canadian school, McGill University, that was very much involved in the MKUltra project.

Project Paperclip was very real.

Yeah ... Paperclip was what started it all for me ... then I stumbled on Monarch ... then Ultra ... I think the Canadian school you are referring to .....is lost among the links I remember seeing it but I can't seem to locate it anymore .. maybe its among the links in my previous posts ... its been so long I don;t really remember all the details ... the red herrings ... the false doors ... the blind alleys ... it does take a toll on my poor memory capacity ....

:yes:

edit : corrected links reference

~

Edited by third_eye, 01 June 2013 - 01:59 PM.

~

#174    Ove

Ove

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 05 May 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Moon Landing Faked!!!—Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Because some conspiracies are real, like the 9/11 a conspiracy, where a group of persons conspired to bring down the WTC

#175    stereologist

stereologist

Poltergeist

• 2,673 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

It is fun to see people use the existence of secret government project to claim conspiracies and then justify fantasies because governments keep secrets or were involved in some conspiracies.

A government secret does not mean conspiracy.
The existence of one conspiracy does not mean that another conspiracy has any basis.

#176    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Telekinetic

• 7,374 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Like Robert Bowman said, if they have nothing to hide, why are they hiding everything?  Just as a rhetorical question. :tu:

#177    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 02 February 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Like Robert Bowman said, if they have nothing to hide, why are they hiding everything?  Just as a rhetorical question. :tu:

Like I said: If your seeking the truth, how come you can't present any evidence to support it?

Or

If you say the official story is impossible, why does your theory rely on impossible physics?

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#178    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,323 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

View Poststereologist, on 02 February 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

It is fun to see people use the existence of secret government project to claim conspiracies and then justify fantasies because governments keep secrets or were involved in some conspiracies.

A government secret does not mean conspiracy.
The existence of one conspiracy does not mean that another conspiracy has any basis.
It can work the other way, though; just because some/many conspiracy theories might be nutty (and so might some of those who promote them), it needn't necessarily mean that all are. That's why i do sometimes wonder whether people like Alex Jones might be deliberate plants to discredit the whole field by their nuttiness.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#179    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,580 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

View PostColonel Rhubarb, on 02 February 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

It can work the other way, though; just because some/many conspiracy theories might be nutty (and so might some of those who promote them), it needn't necessarily mean that all are. That's why i do sometimes wonder whether people like Alex Jones might be deliberate plants to discredit the whole field by their nuttiness.

Alex Jones a disinfo agent? A conspiracy to discredit conspiracy theories? If that were true, it would be nutty. So nutty it probably would work.

*searches for tin foil*

#180    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,429 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!
    It is not my intent to make anyone feel bad because of what I am writing.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

View Postjpjoe, on 05 May 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

I hate extreme conspiracists. I find them the most untrustworthy type of people...

Research indicates that they are more trust-worthy than those that accept the official stance on things.

I say again, if the governments would STOP lying to us all the time, there wouldn't be any conspiracy theories. But since the governments hide nearly everything, since the official explanations do not jive with the things that are clearly indicated, there will be people who speculate on what really happened. IOW, stop accepting the lies, force governments to stop lying, and there will be no conspiracy theories.

Edited by regeneratia, 03 February 2014 - 12:12 AM.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users