Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
687 replies to this topic

#46    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,670 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 06 May 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Well cows and sheep that wouldn't be out there except for our taste for beef and mutton and our use of wool and leather.

The climate is such a complicated business that I wouldn't be the least surprised if maybe ten years from now it will turn out that they had it all wrong -- that all the signs and the increase in carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses was real enough but that the planet has self-correcting mechanisms and thinks we should have an ice age so we will have one (I anthropomorphize mercilessly).  What egg on faces that sort of thing would be.

Or it may happen that technology will save us.  This natural gas technology seems headed that way, and I read a bit (which may have been hype but is the sort of thing one sees more and more often) that a CO2 neutral way of getting natural gas from industrial waste is spreading and could result in unending supplies with no net greenhouse gases at all.

Or we may go as we are going and have to expend billions moving populations and adjusting, but still work through it and do fine.

Or we may go extinct.

Whether or not one believes Global Warming is real or  a conspiracy or whatever, one things for sure, the seas are changing due to all the emissions - and my view is, we really dont want to poision our waters and mess with ANY parts of the foodchain:

some snippets from the following article

"Climate change is affecting the Arctic Ocean in ways that may deal a severe blow to marine life and people. The world’s oceans are becoming more acid, says a new report from the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme"

As a result, marine ecosystems in the Arctic are “very likely to experience significant changes due to ocean acidification,” states the AMAP report, being discussed at a conference in Bergen, Norway April 6 to April 8.

Over the past 200 years, the average acidity of the surface of the world’s oceans has increased by about 30 per cent, scientists involved in the report said.

Ocean acidification occurs because some of carbon dioxide spewed into the atmosphere from the burning of fossil fuels dissolves in the ocean. There, carbon dioxide reacts with water to produce an acid, called carbonic acid, which causes the oceans to become more acidic.

Scientists have already determined that the surface waters of Arctic Ocean are corrosively acidic during the ice-free season

The problem? This acid eats away at the shells of clam and other tiny marine life. Increased acidity is already affecting the size and weight of shells and skeletons of urchins, sea snails and other sea creatures.

As seawater becomes more corrosive, the impact will ripple through the food chain, making it hard for fish to find food or for whales to navigate by sound.

The AMAP report says that since the marine food chain in the Arctic is relatively simple, these marine ecosystems are vulnerable to changes when external factors affect key species.

So everything, from plankton to fish, is at risk of being affected by ocean acidification directly or indirectly, its authors say.

At the same time, Arctic marine organisms are also experiencing “other large, simultaneous changes,” including climate change, harvesting, habitat degradation and pollution.

“When marine ecosystems are affected, this will also have implications for humans,” scientists say.

http://www.nunatsiaq...ion_new_report/

So conspiracies aside, some things are measurable

Edited by seeder, 06 May 2013 - 04:01 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#47    rustygh

rustygh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• “For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

You're assuming that global warming is a thing. That this, what we see now isn't normal.

#48    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

NNNOOOOO!!
my member title is now 'conspiracy theorist'!
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!
*sound of uncontrollable sobbing*
:-(

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#49    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,670 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

View Postshrooma, on 06 May 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

NNNOOOOO!!
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!

Now thats a conspiracy indeed, the secret govt army silencers have got it in for you, and they always begin with denting your credibility!!  :w00t:

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#50    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,919 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Whether what is going on now is "normal" or not is moot; if we are inconvienced or harmed or even rendered extinct, it can be as normal as blueberry pie and we still won't like it one bit.

#51    rustygh

rustygh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• “For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Shrooma, that's kinda funny. ツ

#52    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

View Postrustygh, on 06 May 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

You're assuming that global warming is a thing. That this, what we see now isn't normal.
no i'm not rusty, i'm not assuming anything.
what i'm saying, is that the world is getting warmer AND THE GASSES WE'RE RELEASING ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THAT WARMING.
yes, I understand that the earth fluctuates between cycles of glaciation & heating, i'm not stoopid, what i'm saying is that WE'RE CONTRIBUTING TO THAT HEATING. you can't honestly, with all conviction, tell me that we aren't? that the pollution we're causing IS HAVING NO EFFECT AT ALL??
that all the greenhouse gasses we're releasing are somehow magically disappearing?!
i'm not saying we're CAUSING global warming, merely that we're ADDING TO IT.

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#53    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

because the world is not what it seems to be that's why

#54    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,943 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Folks, this site has dozens of global warming topics, this isn't one of them.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#55    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 06 May 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Folks, this site has dozens of global warming topics, this isn't one of them.
it's a conspiracy by the moderators to silence us!!
:-D

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#56    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postrustygh, on 06 May 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

Shrooma, that's kinda funny. ツ
rusty, how do you do that cool little smiley??
I want one!!
(or are you all conspiring against me to keep me from having one?!
*sob*
:-)

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#57    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

View Postshrooma, on 06 May 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

NNNOOOOO!!
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!
Be at peace with this temporary inconvenience for it shall pass quickly if you post often enough.  I recently passed through that terribly uncomfortable phase as well and am available for counseling should you desire it.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#58    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

cheers kludge!
how many posts do you have to make before you can pick your own title?
i've got a couple that at least won't make me sound like I should be wearing a tin-foil hat so the Govt. can't read my brainwaves!

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#59    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,670 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

View Postshrooma, on 06 May 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

cheers kludge!
how many posts do you have to make before you can pick your own title?
i've got a couple that at least won't make me sound like I should be wearing a tin-foil hat so the Govt. can't read my brainwaves!

I too am unaware of how to add a personal title, but I should be able too by now surely?  so yes Kludge pls reveal the method?  Cheers

#60    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

I believe in some because official story is like swiss cheese which gets better with years.. Not everything they tell us is true that has been shown by history and i dont need proof for that...

Still there are some out there who are making them as fruit growing in garden...like Alex Jones or Coast2Coast... both are fantastic source for movie scripts..

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

SHTFPlan Source for all sorts of news and updates!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users