Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Nursing an infant in church ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    sear

sear

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

• "A prudent question is one half of wisdom." William James

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

More formal religions tend to be puritanical.
Not likely to see a Sunday gathering including topless women at the Presbyterian church.

And yet nursing infants is as natural as god could have made it.

So what's the rule?

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

have you seen this happen. i`m not a church goer, so does it happen?

Edited by freetoroam, 05 May 2013 - 04:41 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    sear

sear

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

• "A prudent question is one half of wisdom." William James

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

I've been to "church", mainly in my childhood, under parental mandate.
For the most part I was kept in the basement with my non-lactating childhood peers.

But human nature: I'd be astounded if it doesn't happen.
Perhaps nursing mothers sit in the back row.

No telling what happens when the preacher's jaw suddenly drops to the lecturn, and his eyes bulge in his silence (except for that faint sucking sound).

note:
I introduced the topic out of curiosity for the alarm nudity seems to inspire among the ostensibly god-fearing.
Seems to an agnostic like me we shouldn't shy from the beauty of god's creations.

#4    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postsear, on 05 May 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

note:
I introduced the topic out of curiosity for the alarm nudity seems to inspire among the ostensibly god-fearing.
Seems to an agnostic like me we shouldn't shy from the beauty of god's creations.

:huh:  Sounds somewhat contrived to me. Are you sure you didn't just want to encourage people to talk about breast-feeding?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#5    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

For Protestants of any denomination I can see a problem with this. And indeed with most of society, as it seems as we become more technologicaly advanced and more seperated from the natural world, then we become more prudish. Yet, and I am serious here, there should not be a problem for Orthodox and Catholics as the images of Mary and Jesus are simply a version of Isis and Horus, and Horus is usually shown suckling at the breast of Isis. But I already hear the howls of rage at this, and on sooo many levels :)

#6    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,642 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

Women usually are covered, I nurse all my kids and carry a blacket, no even knew,  but if the women is flaunting it all over the place, thats another story :):)

#7    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,554 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Yah. I've known plenty of women who breastfed, and not one of them was ever topless while doing it.

I have zero issues with breastfeeding of course, but I wonder about common courtesy.

Do other people eat in church? Do other people feed babies bottles in church? Then go ahead and breastfeed.

Really though, if the church is full of judgmental, nosy people... when exactly are they worshiping god?

Embrace the impossible.

#8    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,566 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

Only people that have nothing better to do then b**** about other people would complain.

People that worry mainly about themselves, and do not get involved with telling others how to live would have no problem with it at all.

Edited by Sakari, 06 May 2013 - 03:11 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#9    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,272 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

I see no problem with it. if the woman herself felt uncomfortable about it though she could always express and bottle feed there.

Really though a place of worship and a mother feeding her child, how can anyone see that as wrong.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#10    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

I'd have more of an issue with her bringing the baby into the church in the first place.  
Many churches provide a room in the back for women with babies or who need to breastfeed.  

#11    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

I would rather they provided me a room to do that in.  Wouldn't want all those christian men looking at me.

Would rather they fed the kid than have to listen to it scream.

#12    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'm against booby control.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#13    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Why didn't you put this in the 'Religion' forum? ........... if you really wanted to know.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#14    Miss Shadows

Miss Shadows

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

• Welcome to my home. Now get the **** out.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:47 AM

Well here's another question...what do they do about breastfeeding in places like the Middle East, where bodily modesty is a more austere matter?

American with an accent, Christian with a tat, sociopath with a heart, child with no mother, Lover with no Lover, confidently doubting, amused but not laughing, woman but child, feisty yet caring, sweet when not bitter.

#15    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

I think people should be allowed to breast feed wherever they like (as long as it's safe.... not while they are driving or something!).

I breast fed my babies.  Most people are advised to feed on demand now with babies, so you feed when the baby wants it and they generally fall in to their own routine.  It's pretty hard to plan your life around when a baby will need feeding.

When you feed a baby, the kids head is in the way so even without a blanket or throw over, there really isn't much boob on display.  Ladies can display way more boobage just by wearing a low cut top!  Having said that, myself and any other mummy friends I know have used a lightweight cotton muslin throw when feeding in public.

I don't go to church, but if I did I would happily feed my kid there.

Plus in the UK we now have the Equality Act that came in 2010 I think it was.  So you cannot be treat infavourably for breast feeding.  If someone in the UK was breast feeding in church and was asked to leave (or asked to do it in the toilets which is a common request!) then those in charge in the organisation could find themselves in county court.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users