Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The man who lives without food

rob rhinehart soylent food

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

I love prepairing and consuming the food I cook. Nothing like a home cooked meal even if it is the 'healthy' variety that kids hate. But I can see it being used as a food supplement in some cases.

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,106 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

One at a time, he added extra magnesium, extra potassium, then extra phosphorous. “Every single one of those times,” he says, “I got very, very sick.” The potassium overdose wasn’t too bad. “I just had heart arrhythmia and really high blood pressure and my circulatory system was all out of whack.” The magnesium poisoning, though, was appalling. “I felt like my insides were burning.”
But by the end of week three, he realised he had it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He might of had it to suit him, but not everyone.  Will see the results of this in a few years time, if he is still with us.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Why did he name it "Soylent"???  Is it people??

He should name it something That doesn't have cannibalism and government endorsed death at 30.  

Anyway, you don't need most supplements if you way right.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#19    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,934 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

So he has made another liquid shake, the likes of which (and complan was mentioned) have been around for some time.  

Really the global food crisis is a big issue. And the past couple of years we have seen bad weather cause major problems for crops in the UK, US, Oz etc etc, and we cant really change the weather so that will always be an issue. But there are things that 'could' be done.

"Ugly vegetables and fruits" for example, cannot be sold commercially, when you go shopping you see perfectly straight carrots, and smooth nobble-free potatoes and perfect looking apples etc. The big chain buyers literally dictate to the farmers what they want, and veg thats just as nutritious, but 'ugly/bent' etc is unsellable. Totally barmy. I say give the ugly veg to the poor and hungry.

During the world wars, in the UK anyway, the entire country was motivated/advised to plant anything they could grow in their gardens, and people did so. But now people want to put wooden decking over any available greenery and go for a cool image rather than use their gardens for growing stuff.  I have a small mostly concrete patio, but I have 3 hanging baskets on the wall with cherry tomaotes, which grow so abundantly I cannot eat them all and give lots away. I have two big barrel planters that grow tonnes of potatoes in, I grow peppers and many herbs.

It doesnt stop me from having to buy food of course, but it does help!

Eating sprouted seeds is another very quick harvest crop. Only 4-5 days growing without soil, in a jar - and you have "extremely nutritous food.

"Sprouting Seeds: The Ultimate Food"

"Sprouts are one of the most alkalising, nutritious and easily accessible foods know to man. Being rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins and enzymes, they can be grown easily in four to six days and require no effort and very little cost".

A sprout possesses all of the energy, vitamins and nutrients and power that enables it to be transformed from a small seed into a strong plant. At this stage its nutritional value is at its highest for instance, sprouted seeds can contain 400% more protein than lettuce and over 3900% more beta-carotine.

Also, due to their size and taste you are able to eat hundreds of sprouted seeds at a time. In so many sprouts, you are eating the equivalent of hundreds of fully grown plants all at once – when else would you be able to get the goodness of one hundred mature plants in one meal?!

http://www.energisef...ng_benefits.php

see a short vid

and lastly, this guy grows a million pounds of food and fish, yes!!! 1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. ALL YEAR ROUND!! 1 pump, 10000 fish, 500 yards of compost

Pls watch all of this

just on the last vid alone, imagine some charity setting up that in poor hungry countries??  All you need is some land and a greenhouse

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#20    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,118 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Soylent eh? Don't try it if its green...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#21    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostEldorado, on 06 May 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

A liquid diet = a 'red-raw' butthole, in my experience, so I think I'll stick to solids. (only saying)

But did you absolutely have to? :(

Posted Image

#22    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 06 May 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Don't forget about the taste buds. :D

I'm sure that drinking the same old thing day in and out would get old REAL fast. I like real food too much to even take this seriously.
That's why most diets fail.  Not enough variety that's tasty for everyone.

#23    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Does the body absorb it all? We don't need to go to toilet anymore?

#24    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,716 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Fine if your eating through a tube. I know people who do, not by choice.   I like to cook and eat.   Shopping is good exercise, too. They have diet shakes I really don't see were he has come up with anything new.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#25    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

now here's a great idea i do believe it can help.me personally i say do it and go with the idea i would but it:)just don't add high fructose corn syrup  and sugar to be even more truly healthy as well.truly make it healthy but with flavor and cheap not expensive and make it worthwhile too.no dairy products or etc

#26    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,666 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 06 May 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Does the body absorb it all? We don't need to go to toilet anymore?

The body will still expel waste and unusable stuff regardless of whether you take it by mouth or a straw.
At any rate one can still eat healthy on a very limited budget. It just takes effort and a bit of ingenuity.

#27    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,934 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

and lets not forget.... that if such a product became commercially available, it will have a very short shelf life. So then it will be zapped with whatever preserving chemicals or electrical/microwave processes to make it last longer, which has a habit of killing nutrients to start with!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#28    13Homerun13

13Homerun13

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 167 posts

• "If we were blind and had no choice, would we hate each other by the tone of our voice?" - Anthrax, Schism

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

I'm one of the critics. i don't think it would be possible for something like that to actually work. It no good for body to take something so... artificial. how would something like that be easy to make anyway?

#29    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

This actually make sense to me. I predict that whats now being normal food will one day be food for elite.
Law of scarcity can be "avoided" only with full efficency.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#30    bigjonalien

bigjonalien

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

So we won't need teeth in the future, nothing wrong with a nice protein drink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users