Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Man copies Bible out by hand

phillip patterson bible

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,926 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Writing something by hand is a great way of committing it to memory, perhaps he felt the need to both read and remember as much of the bible as possible for once in his life.  I know for myself I only read small portions at a time and while I generally know where all the particulars are in the book it's my favorites only that I can quote without having to look them up for accuracy and context.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#32    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,978 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

And let's not forget, whether he was bored of work or not, he's 63 years old, is suffering from AIDS, and requires two walking canes just to walk around.  it's not like he's got the energy to waste going to local dance parties or talking it up at office Christmas parties.  Unfortunately his partner died several years ago.  I don't think we should make jokes in light of that (you know who you are), especially considering what it likely was that his partner also died from.  He wasn't a 70-year old virgin lazy bugger who thought the easiest way to avoid working was to write out a Bible from start to end.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#33    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwķt éoredmęcg

• 4,902 posts

• Hige sceal že heardra, heorte že cenre, mod sceal že mare, že ure męgen lytlaš.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 07 May 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

Maybe the text was in Latin, but the name is not Latin'. it's Germanic (here: Saxon):

eald = old, wita = 'knower', one who knows

Ooops - I thought the poster was referring to the illustration I posted! I never imagined for a moment he was referring to my user name! (Put it down to age)

...........................................................................................................................................................

FAO szentgyorgy, .......(What Abramelin said!)  Posted Image

Edited by ealdwita, 08 May 2013 - 04:55 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#34    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,402 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

The story has an almost pathetic aspect to it, kinda reminding me of the sickly old men who walk on their hands and knees to Lhasa.  To us it seems so pointless, but what in life can we say really has a point anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users