Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

DoD space policy

dod space security

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: A chance of (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Military space station?

1. Yes i believe it exists (3 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Yes a possibility i guess (1 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. No i believe not (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. No most likely not (1 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. I dont know (0 votes [0.00%])

6. it would be amazing if there was not at least one military orbital facility (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 06 May 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Because current physics is all the currently is (the word current is a bit of a clue).

I didn't realise we were throwing logic and knowledge away and going into the realms of pure fantasy. My mistake for expecting a logical, scientific discussion in the science section.

You are missing the point ... IF there is such a station it would be in much use to DoD and similar agenices, they could make all sort of research and testing that they cant do on ISS, now you made a good point with China and Russia observing/detecting such a platform... but would a superpower go public by saying such a thing about other? Or would you rather be silent and still know what they are doing? In my opinion no one would ever go public with information of such magnitude except the makers/keepers of it.

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#17    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostOverSword, on 06 May 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

They may not be at the point of raining rocks on enemies, but I believe they are doing research to be able to implement that capabaility quickly should they feel the need arise.  Space is the ultimate high ground.  Eventually those who control the earth will sit at the top of the gravity well where it will be expensive for the oppostion to attack them and cheap for them to simply drop a rock.

I agree +1... Why use ground troops or UAV if you can simply do it without any of those. Well i'll check in later gotta fly now..

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#18    KateMortensen

KateMortensen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

You guys are so nutty.  The MOL was canceled 44 years ago.  Secretary of Defense Laird announced the MOL cancellation on the morning of June 10, 1969.

According to space historian Dwayne A. Day, the Manned Orbiting Laboratory (MOL) program was started in late 1963. The Air Force has declassified many documents on the first year of the MOL program. MOL appears to have started as a general purpose experimental military space station to determine if astronauts could perform militarily useful missions in low Earth orbit. But by 1965 MOL had evolved into an operational photographic reconnaissance satellite whereby astronauts would operate a powerful telescope, code-named DORIAN, to take images of targets inside the Soviet Union.

MOL had made itself vulnerable to cancellation because it was behind schedule and over budget, and by 1969 the robotic reconnaissance systems such as HEXAGON were so impressive it was difficult to argue that humans could contribute anything to the satellite reconnaissance mission.
The KH-9 HEXAGON was a CIA-led program for a robotic satellite that started after MOL.

President Nixon was apparently so intrigued by the real-time-readout system of HEXAGON that he decided to cancel MOL in order to fund the new system.  HEXAGON was not declassified until September of 2011. MOL remains partially classified.

Some other comments in response to postings:

- Nothing in DoDD 3100.10 can be interpreted to mean the DoD is putting weapons in space. If you think it says that, then I’m sorry but you can’t read.

- Everything in orbit larger than a softball is tracked and catalogued.  Nobody has anything up there as big as a manned station without the world knowing about it.  Period.

- Oversword said: “The USA has a military black budget that reaches into the high billions, none of which has to be acounted for to the public.”  The first part of that is true -- the second is not.  All “black” budgets are accounted for by members of elected members of Congress … elected by YOU to do so. It’s not revealed to the public because you can’t do that without also revealing it to potential adversaries.  That’s why we call it CLASSIFIED and have security clearances, etc etc.  What is so hard to understand about that?

- The X-37b can be used to fly research payloads into the space environment. Defense related experiments can be conducted on the ISS too, as far as I know. They do experiments on new technologies, not on weapon systems.  Sure, the technology might be used later on in some kind of weapon system, like any technology might be.  But to get there you have to do the science first.

- Oversword said: “Eventually those who control the earth will sit at the top of the gravity well…” … … ... uh … … what?  **SNIP**

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 05 June 2013 - 02:59 PM.
Personal attack removed.

#19    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,838 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

KateMortensen,

I strongly recommend you read the rules of the site before making any more posts. Pay particular attention to this one please:

3. Behaviour Please be civil and courteous to other members at all times.

Attack the point of view, not the person holding it please.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

Also tagged with dod, space, security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users