Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Obama says reject those who warn of Tyranny

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#46    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Gonna take a lot more than that to convince me the West isn't a tyrannical dictatorship, Mr. President.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#47    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

gimcrack

• 10,440 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 06 May 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

Context is required. Listen to the full speech in either of the two links below.

http://www.cbsnews.c...h/?id=50146232n

Well ...... I dutifully listened to this all the way through and didn't find that the context made any difference. Although I did find it interesting that he seemed to emphasise 'the middle classes' quite a bit, how their lot in life deserved to be improved. No mention of 'citizenship' meaning an involvement in the plight of those currently less well off or even downright poor!

But the line that made my jaw drop was this: "There is not a country on Earth that would not change places with the USA!" !!! This is the sort of statement that causes people to hate the US and all it stands for ..... not envy it! Why? because implicit in that statement is the USA as the pinnacle of human civilization ........ which it blatantly isn't when you think of all the mayhem it creates around the world.

Something popped into my head when I was watching the vid: American soldiers ordered to shoot on American students protesting about the Vietnam War ...... in America ......

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#48    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 07 May 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

Well ...... I dutifully listened to this all the way through and didn't find that the context made any difference. Although I did find it interesting that he seemed to emphasise 'the middle classes' quite a bit, how their lot in life deserved to be improved. No mention of 'citizenship' meaning an involvement in the plight of those currently less well off or even downright poor!

But the line that made my jaw drop was this: "There is not a country on Earth that would not change places with the USA!" !!! This is the sort of statement that causes people to hate the US and all it stands for ..... not envy it! Why? because implicit in that statement is the USA as the pinnacle of human civilization ........ which it blatantly isn't when you think of all the mayhem it creates around the world.

Something popped into my head when I was watching the vid: American soldiers ordered to shoot on American students protesting about the Vietnam War ...... in America ......

Amen.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#49    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

I can only address this topic with a brief quote from the wisdom of the ancient ages...

"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotism"....Aristotle

Those that think it is impossible for tyranny to arise in this day and age have obviously forgotten history and thus shall be doomed to repeat it.

Despotism arises when the people...tired, helpless, or afraid... relinquish their freedom and their voice in hopes that someone will protect them or take care of them...this is the fastest way into the death spiral....slavery and genocide are always just one generation away...

Edited by Jeremiah65, 07 May 2013 - 12:29 AM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#50    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

You are trying to abolish an amendment that you were sworn in to protect, yeah, I believe anything that comes from your mouth Obama...

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#51    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,024 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

But the line that made my jaw drop was this: "There is not a country on Earth that would not change places with the USA!" !!!
Yes there is - Australia.
First of all - same size (not counting Alaska). Second of all - better climate. Thirdly - we're a self-sufficent nation, we're exporters.
So NAH! :P

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#52    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

I was worried that the conspiracy theory section was bleeding over into this thread. Glad to see I was wrong.

Far too many simply seem to interpret the world through the conflict thesis where the elites class, corporations, are out to enslave the 99%, or whatever percentage you would assign us.

It is an us-vs-them type of mindest based on competition, zero-sum games, and the ironically the conflict thesis is the invention of Marx.

I favor functionalism which is based on cooperation, understanding different parts of society work with each other, and no matter how far one component of society pulls one way or the other that balance will always be restored, naturally regained, through the course of our relations.

It is a simplified view but optimistic. Definitely a less stress-inducing approach. Win-win games ftw!

While we can oppose our enemies and their platforms as a group, even in war, we should always honor them on an individual basis. For after the war we will have to work with each other again and at times we can even help each other during war.

Far too many are easily offended when their group is assailed and take it personally and want to personally strike back. Or maybe that is just the general overall style of some, to attack persons and not platforms.

In either case a study of history will prove things always work out. The elite will always be checked and so will the masses when they overstep, in due time, progress is not about speed but direction and the course of history has moved in the general, overall direction of progress. From the ocean we crawled out, into he trees, then down from them, and each stage, regardless of temporary setbacks such as the last World Wars, depressions, and recessions, there is life to be live and the general direction has been forward.

The opposing belief that things were better in the past is a position of despair but better known as laudatio temporis acti. It is a medieval mindset where one believed that the world is decaying and was only pure and golden in the garden. The Renassiance overturned that and gave us hope, democracy, and the ability to recognize the progress that has always been with us.

This is what I love, these ideas, these concepts, and while others might assail me for them, one has no choice but to be sincere to themselves, approach the world as themselves, and no one should ever let others tell them they can't love what they do or see the world as they do.

Wil Wheaton Explains To A Newborn What It Means To Be A Nerd

ďMy name is Wil Wheaton. Itís 2013. And youíve just recently joined us on planet Earth. So welcome. Iím an actor. Iím a writer. And Iím a Dad. Your mother asked me to tell you why itís awesome to be a nerd. Thatís an easy thing for me to do because I am a nerd.

I donít know what the world is going to be like by the time you understand this. I donít what itís going to mean to be a nerd when you are a young women. For me, when I was growing up, being a nerd meant that I liked things that were a little weird. That took a lot of effort to appreciate and understand. It meant that I loved science, and that I loved playing board games, and reading books, and really understanding what went on in the world instead of just riding the planet through space.

When I was a little boy, people really teased us about that, and made us feel like there was something wrong with us for loving those things. Now that Iím an adult, Iím kind of a professional nerd, and the world has changed a lot. I think a lot of us have realized that being a nerd Ö itís not about what you love. Itís about how you love it.

So, thereís going to be a thing in your life that you love. I donít know what thatís going to be Ö and it doesnít matter what it is. The way you love that, and the way that you find other people who love it the way you do is what makes you a nerd. The defining characteristic of [being a nerd] is that we love things. Some of us love Firefly and some of us love Game of Thrones, or Star Trek, or Star Wars, or anime, or games, or fantasy, or science fiction. Some of us love completely different things. But we all love those things SO much that we travel for thousands of miles Ö we come from all over the world, so that we can be around people who love the things the way that we love them.

Thatís why being a nerd is awesome. And donít let anyone tell you that that thing that you love is a thing that you canít love. Donít anyone ever tell you that you canít love that, thatís for boys Ö you find the things that you love, and you love them the most that you can.

And listen: This is really important. I want you to be honest, honorable, kind. I want you to work hard. Because everything worth doing is hard. And I want you to be awesome, and I will do my very best to leave you a planet that you can still live on.

Read more: http://www.uproxx.co.../#ixzz2SZ9Fm9x7

There are many others who live in their own world, who ignore these topics, and while others might call them sheeple, that is a bit dehumanizing, they are simply following what they love or trying to find it, in themselves, in others, in each other, and in the Universe at large.

The world goes on...leave the "crabs in a barrel syndrome" behind if you can, we should leave a better inheritance to the younger generations, our children. The sooner the better.

When you feel your best years are behind you, any future ones should be worth that much more.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 07 May 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#53    Big Jim

Big Jim

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

I expected to be bothered by Obama's statement.  Many things that he does and says bother me.  But honestly, all I heard was a clumsy way of saying "we must all pull together to keep the ship of state afloat".  The bit about ignoring voices that warn of tyranny seemed like just a thinly veiled barb at Republicans from a President who is always in campaign mode.  That's a major short coming in a person and position that we expect to be able to rise above petty differences and focus on the task at hand.  None of the foregoing means that I am not concerned about encroaching tyranny and continual erosion of our freedoms, just that I heard nothing malevolent in the short clip presented.

#54    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 12,945 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

That " middle class " is a joke. They all try to make it out like those are the ones hurting.

Look up what our Government considers " middle class".......Depending on what party, it ranges from $200,000 a year to $250,000 a year......

Ya right, the middle class is hurting and needs help.

WTF am I ( and most people ) that make 40 to 50,000 a year, with overtime?.....And the wife not working full time, so lets say 10,000 a year for her.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#55    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,881 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 07 May 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

I can only address this topic with a brief quote from the wisdom of the ancient ages...

"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotism"....Aristotle

Those that think it is impossible for tyranny to arise in this day and age have obviously forgotten history and thus shall be doomed to repeat it.

Despotism arises when the people...tired, helpless, or afraid... relinquish their freedom and their voice in hopes that someone will protect them or take care of them...this is the fastest way into the death spiral....slavery and genocide are always just one generation away...

Fine quote, sir.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#56    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,611 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostKafkaesque, on 07 May 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Fine quote, sir.

But not one that Aristotle actually said...

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 07 May 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#57    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 6,811 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

lmao.

http://www.brainyquo...otle136351.html

RESIDENT TROLL.

#58    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,611 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

View Postaztek, on 07 May 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Yes, one can find that online. But what one will not find online or in any library is the exact work of his that has that quote.

Now, I wonder what else one might believe, without actual sources, without proof, without context, simply because they read it online?

How can we take someone who does that seriously when they are discussing other topics? Four letter arguments are rarely convincing.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 07 May 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#59    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 6,811 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 07 May 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

Yes, one can find that online. But what one will not find online or in any library is the exact work of his that has that quote.

can you find it, and show us you are not talking out of your azz??? cuz almost every post of yours shows exactly that.
and i'm in no way interested to convince you in anything, you sound like brainwashed kid, stay that way, lol you are more entertaining like that. keep up the good work

oh, i get it, since  one will not find online or in any library is the exact work of his that has that quote, but you know it, than he must have told you that personally, lol.

Edited by aztek, 07 May 2013 - 08:50 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#60    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,024 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 07 May 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

But not one that Aristotle actually said...
I remember it like tomorrow, it was a barmy Greek evening, some time after six IIRC, Arry was deep into his cups and really having a go at the idea of a Republic. Last thing I remember him shouting was something like "this horse is eating my sandal" and then getting into a brawl with a mule. Fun days.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users