Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Armless man refused visa as no fingerprints

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostKasey2601, on 06 May 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

If his biometrics were of poor quality, that means that he does have alternatives to fingerprints, but whatever was provided by the government in Istanbul was not clear enough for the UK government to deem it acceptable. The article further states that his visa was not refused, so I don't know how such an extra-ordinary leap to him being refused a visa was made.

If anything, the UK government should realise that not every country is going to have 21st century up-to-the-moment technology to provide clear biometrics to other countries when necessary, as in this case.
True the article says his visa wasn't rejected, nor was it approved.  He was asked for better info, meaning reprocessing. It probably would not have been approved in time for the convention, so in his eyes that's the same as rejected.  I can see the point but it's not the official story.

#17    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 07 May 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Yeh It kinda reminded me of how some apes use their feet like extra hands... I guess our feet have slightly evolved to suit walking but the ability is still there if we put some training into it.

Yeah it will be to do with adaption I'm guessing. That's the key to evolution isn't it?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#18    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,235 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'm not sure what they are scared of....I mean he seems 'armless enough.

#19    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,106 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Yeah, granting a special pass to those whom have limited ability to ID themselves(and for no other reason or ID), likely is not good for anyone's sense of security.

Imagine that being allowed, and terrorists exploiting that.

So, I think he should have known that his condition could well be a problem(wouldn't anyone!), and perhaps should have made some type of prior legal arrangements for an alternative ID.

I blame him, not the officials.

Sorry for the loss of limbs, of course.

#20    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Couldn't they just concede and use his Big toe print instead???

Edited by ancient astronaut, 07 May 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#21    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,196 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostCoffey, on 07 May 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Yeah it will be to do with adaption I'm guessing. That's the key to evolution isn't it?

Its remarkable how humans can adapt when they have to. Truly we are indeed an amazing species. OK we cant regrow limbs, but we can rewire the nervous system to regain dexterity with almost redundant things like toes!!

Humans are amazing!  (some of us anyway)

And heres TEN more armless people doing some cool things, riding motorbikes, flying planes, playing golf, playing guitar, shooting a bow and arrow, and more

http://www.oddee.com/item_97470.aspx

Edited by seeder, 07 May 2013 - 07:52 PM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#22    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,890 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

If true that is Messed UP!!!

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#23    Hobbit Feet

Hobbit Feet

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

• Drop me off at Willoughby and take me to Aunt T's!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

They need to come up with a variety of ways for ID. A retinal scan would work for this, not for someone who's lost their eyes but I would think it would even work for some blind people. Voice recogniton? That's a little far fetched, I guess.  I assume that someday everyones DNA will be on record and encoded into our ID's.

#24    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,196 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostHobbit Feet, on 08 May 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

They need to come up with a variety of ways for ID. A retinal scan would work for this, not for someone who's lost their eyes but I would think it would even work for some blind people. Voice recogniton? That's a little far fetched, I guess.  I assume that someday everyones DNA will be on record and encoded into our ID's.

The Police have been known to use EAR PRINTS as evidence, just as good as fingerprints too!!

"Ears Could Make Better Unique IDs Than Fingerprints"

On a planet hosting 6.7 billion human beings, having proof you’re unique is of tantamount importance. The ear, it turns out, may be the best identification yet.

Posted Image

http://www.wired.com...identification/

and:

"Police are compiling what is believed to be the world's largest computer database of ear prints to be used in the same way as fingerprint evidence in linking suspects to crimes.

The database is the brainchild of the same organisation that last month successfully brought the first prosecution of a criminal on the basis of an ear print.

Mark Dallagher was convicted of murdering an elderly woman in Huddersfield after the prosecution showed that ear prints on a newly washed window could only have been left by him as he listened for signs of movement inside the house"

http://news.bbc.co.u...tech/246713.stm

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#25    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,890 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Would getting an earring or a gage be considered trying to hide your identify?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#26    stance

stance

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

I would of sent them a print of my testicles.

#27    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,196 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

View Poststance, on 08 May 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

I would of sent them a print of my testicles.

they probably need prints at least the size of a finger tho  :w00t:

Edited by seeder, 08 May 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#28    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Just plain byrocracy or idiotism to deny visa on this reason in this circumstance. "I must always follow the protocol", using your own sense and initiative comes second, it seems. Talk about systems being masters of the people, not other way around.

#29    Dr.Cricket

Dr.Cricket

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

"has spent the last 20 years campaigning for disarmament".

Sorry, but that's funny.

#30    wonderer of mystery 777

wonderer of mystery 777

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

thats halarious! no arms... no transportation... no visa for you armless man!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users