Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

1 in 5 brit house holds borrowed money to eat

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

View PostGiant Killer B, on 07 May 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

It drove the cost of living up making our exports more expensive.
it also meant that a lot of companies only pay minimum wage, or thereabouts. why should they pay a tenner an hour when they can pay you six pound twenty?
I was earning almost double what I am now ten years ago.

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#32    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:51 AM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 07 May 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

There is no council tax benefit now I believe, but if a person lives alone, they should be entitled for 25% off the total council tax - at least they do here in Leeds, I'd assumed all councils would offer the same but might be worth checking.

Get a 25% discount off the total of council tax for sole occupancy, in the West Midlands too

Posted Image

#33    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

View Postshrooma, on 07 May 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

it also meant that a lot of companies only pay minimum wage, or thereabouts. why should they pay a tenner an hour when they can pay you six pound twenty?

What profession?

#34    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,313 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

View Postshrooma, on 07 May 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

this is exactly what happened. When the minimum wage came in, many companies took it as a good excuse to  pay less. it makes me laugh (sick laugh) when they advertise a job saying "we pay above the minimum wage" Yeah right, like 5p above, and yet years earlier they would have been paying 5 pounds more!

Fuel costs have crippled this country too, every time the fuel goes up, so does every thing else because it affects all those who have to use transport to delivery their goods, be it lorries delivering to warehouses etc etc etc , and there are not many who do not.
Fuel is not only used in transporting, it is also to produce things, so again, prices will increase to cover the extra costs in the fuels.

The rising cost of living is not  taken into account when the employers employ someone on a minimum wage salary.

#35    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,313 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostGiant Killer B, on 08 May 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

What profession?
My husband is an HGV driver and if he went to work for a company now the wages they are offering are basically the same as ten years ago. ....But its ok, cos its above the minimum wage!!

#36    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostGiant Killer B, on 08 May 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

What profession?
i'm an engineer B.
10yrs ago I was a crane driver, earning 55Kpa, now i'm a steel fabricator/welder, earning 32Kpa.
I make ammunition crates for the MoD, which is about the best paying employer in engineering these days if you don't include oil rig workers, but it's still only just half over what I was earning as a crane driver. kinda my own fault really, as I enjoy building things and found crane driving too much like sitting in a chair all day!
not complaining though, the money's irrelevant, it's enjoying what you do that counts!
:-)

Edited by shrooma, 08 May 2013 - 03:44 PM.

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#37    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Just another thing for anyone out there who might be struggling, if you get certain benefits such as tax credits, income support or job seekers and you have a young child, you might be entitled to Healthy Start vouchers which can be used for milk, fruit and vegetables.  It's not a fortune but if anyone knows people who are genuinely struggling maybe pass the details on as they might not be aware they exist.

http://www.healthyst...s/do-i-qualify/

#38    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,313 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

We know times are hard for many today, but I would say they are 'harder" because of the increase in household costs which has affected the lifestyle many have become accustomed to.. With many, even stopping or slowing down on the luxuries would still not put them into poverty or in a position where they have to borrow money for food.
Today many people see mobile phones, t.v`s and fridge freezer as essentials, so if you ask them if they class themselves as struggling, they will say yes because they can`t afford the electric or mobile bills......there is a solution, its whether they are prepared to recognize the real priorities over the "luxuries" which is the problem.

#39    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,951 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 08 May 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

We know times are hard for many today, but I would say they are 'harder" because of the increase in household costs which has affected the lifestyle many have become accustomed to.. With many, even stopping or slowing down on the luxuries would still not put them into poverty or in a position where they have to borrow money for food.
Today many people see mobile phones, t.v`s and fridge freezer as essentials, so if you ask them if they class themselves as struggling, they will say yes because they can`t afford the electric or mobile bills......there is a solution, its whether they are prepared to recognize the real priorities over the "luxuries" which is the problem.

hit the nail on the head.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#40    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

There's so much I want to say about this subject but it just depresses me to even think about it, never mind writing. In a nutshell: don't criticise a person's lifestyle until you have walked in their shoes for a year or more.

This link has different people's stories about living on very little:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...azine-22345958

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users