Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Sphinx head - Is it the original?

sphinx egyptology egyptian sphinx egypt schoch

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#121    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

One mystery solved. (mine) Well next time I went to museum I hope I found him.
Thanks cormac.

Posted Image

Ignore last sentence from picture.

Edited by the L, 21 May 2013 - 08:44 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#122    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,746 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

View Postthe L, on 21 May 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

One mystery solved. (mine) Well next time I went to museum I hope I found him.
Thanks cormac.

Posted Image

Ignore last sentence from picture.

You're welcome. I think I need more than a mule for my library. :lol:

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#123    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,906 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 21 May 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

While there is some truth to this, it shouldn't be seen as semi-nomadic peoples coming into Egypt and 'suddenly' creating Ancient Egypt. Not that you're doing this Harte, you're not, but we both know there are some who will attempt to make this claim.cormac

Yes, I'm aware of claims associated with "sudden" appearances! :w00t:

Hey L, is he talkin' about you? :lol:

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#124    Harte

Harte

• 9,906 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

View Postthe L, on 21 May 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

I have more questions about AE.

Is it true that word pyramid come from greek pyramidos meaning fire in the middle?
No.
The term comes from the name of a Greek cake that is roughly pyramid shaped.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#125    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 21 May 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

You're welcome. I think I need more than a mule for my library. :lol:

cormac

You are lucky man then. Especially if you have time to read them all.

View PostHarte, on 22 May 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Yes, I'm aware of claims associated with "sudden" appearances! :w00t:

Hey L, is he talkin' about you? :lol:

Harte

I dont know. Did I ever used word "sudden" in this debate? :innocent:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#126    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,061 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

View Postthe L, on 21 May 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

I have more questions about AE.

Is it true that word pyramid come from greek pyramidos meaning fire in the middle?

I was just exploring the different topics and came across this one about the Sphinx. Harte already answered your first question, which is the prevailing theory on the origin of our word "pyramid."

And that Egyptians called pyramids Per Neter meaning house of nature?

The most common ancient Egyptian word for pyramid was mr ("mer"), whose etymology is not well understood. The term rose into use later in the Old Kingdom. The glyph is simply a pyramid atop a thin base, which is self-explanatory but doesn't tell us exactly what mr meant in the ancient language.

There were numerous different words for "tomb" in ancient Egyptian, and there were also words for specific types of tombs. Mr is the word for a pyramid-type tomb. A more common generic word was pr-kA ("per-ka"), which can be translated as "soul house." Tombs, in other words, were thought of as homes for the souls of the deceased, although the word kA is fairly complicated and cannot be cleanly translated, hence the use of our word "soul" (about as close as we can come).

Pr-nTr ("Per-Netjer") is a common word in ancient Egyptian for any sort of temple. "Netjer" is another of those words that's complicated to translate cleanly but is well understood, based on how the ancients themselves used it in their writing. It has a whole range of meanings, from "god" to "divine." That said, pr-nTr can be translated as "the god's house" or "divine house," hence "temple."

There is no equivalent word in the ancient Egyptian language for our term "nature."

Is it true that Egyptians have had many words for water?

Not all that many, really. It would depend how the word is used in context, such as referring to water in general terms or to something that modifies it, such as "cool water."

What does Asgat mean on Egyptian?

I myself do not recognize "Asgat" as an ancient Egyptian word. I might be able to make more sense of it if I could see it spelled in hieroglyphs, and preferably in the context of a sentence in which it is being used.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#127    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Kmt
could we translate Ntr as life?
I remember once reading about Asgat priest. So I wondered what that mean?
How many words AE have had for different type of water?

#128    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,061 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

View Postthe L, on 25 May 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

Kmt
could we translate Ntr as life?

I've never seen it translated that way, and in my own translation experience I can't think of instances where I myself would've translated it that way. The word for "life" is anx ("ankh").

I remember once reading about Asgat priest. So I wondered what that mean?

I have to admit this "Asgat" business had me curious so I had to resort to Google. I couldn't seem to find anything about an "Asgat priest" but I came across quite a few references to "Asgat nefer" in the sense of "Harmony of Water." The problem is, in every case where this is mentioned it's either some woo-woo New Age crap or some reference to Chris Dunn's work, which isn't any better. At least I finally tracked down the glyphs where this supposed "Asgat nefer water" comes from. They happen to be circled on the following web page of a Google book. If the link doesn't bring you to the correct page for some reason, it's on page 143.

To be honest I have no idea where people are getting the word "Asgat" for the anthropomorphic legged pot from which water is flowing. The glyph in question is designated D60 in Gardiner's classification and it's common to see in inscriptions. Whoever the modern New Ager is who invented the word "Asgat," he or she was taking the concept of water too seriously (no doubt due to the water depicted flowing out of the pot). The ancient Egyptian word is not "Asgat" but wab, which translates as "pure." In essence the water issuing from the legged pot represents the act of anointing, hence making something ritually pure. For this reason the same word, wab, can also mean "priest."

Anyway, I'm droning on as usual. The pair of glyphs circled in the above linked web page certainly don't say "Asgat nefer" but nfr wab, "good and pure." I don't think I can help you further with this unless you happen to have a link showing the glyphs for "Asgat priest," but in all honesty I do not think "Asgat" is a real ancient Egyptian word in the first place.

How many words AE have had for different type of water?

I looked into this and came across four different words for "water": mw (the most common), nwy, nt, and Hbbt. Verb forms are different, such as iwH for watering a farm plot. Then there are any number of words for water-related terms such as water jar, watermelon, water mint, water pot, water skin, and the like.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#129    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,060 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

I believe the "scientific" term for "water" was "nun".

There were many words associated with water tangentally such as "high nile", "inundation",
"hapy", "osiris" etc, etc...

I believe there are even more than Egyptologists recognize and water in a desert is life.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#130    woopypooky

woopypooky

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

The Sphinx used to be Anubis the jackal head. and some pharoah ( i forgot what name) chopped off the head and carved his own face on the jackal neck. thats why it looked disporpotionate.

#131    conspiracy buff

conspiracy buff

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

This is an interesting topic and one the archeology does not have a straight answer for.  No one knows for sure exactly how old the Sphinx is let alone whether it has the original head or not.  If historians cannot agree on age, they definitely cannot agree on anything more detailed.  There needs to be a more comprehensive study done with more efforts devoted on narrowing the age of the Sphinx down within a few years and then and only then will more specifics be available to debate.  Sadly, I think a lot of these older historical monuments have lost their secrets to time and we will probably never know definitively.

There is a grain of truth in every conspiracy known to man, you just have to be intelligent enough to find it.

#132    Harte

Harte

• 9,906 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Postwoopypooky, on 17 June 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

The Sphinx used to be Anubis the jackal head. and some pharoah ( i forgot what name) chopped off the head and carved his own face on the jackal neck. thats why it looked disporpotionate.
Supremely unlikely.

Harte

Anybody like Coleridge?

#133    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,218 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postbloodworld, on 20 May 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

They are wrong about the Lion is because There is no TAIL duh! if they build a statue of a Lion in the first place then where is the TAIL ? So, no they did not build a statue of a lion and case closed :)

Case not closed, the Sphinx has a tail :tu:

The back right paw and tail

Posted Image

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#134    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,218 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostHarte, on 20 May 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

Let's not all trip over our ignorance at once.

Sphinx tail:

Posted Image

Of course the sphinx has a tail.  After all, remember the title of that classic tome that I hope you one day can read - "Everybody Poops."

Harte

:tu:   Ah you beat me to it, Im just starting on this thread. kudos!  I wont post again till Ive read it all so I dont repeat posts

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#135    Harte

Harte

• 9,906 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

View Postseeder, on 17 June 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

:tu:   Ah you beat me to it, Im just starting on this thread. kudos!  I wont post again till Ive read it all so I dont repeat posts
That's okay seeder, as long as you acknowledge how funny my post was.

I'm waiting...

Harte

Anybody like Coleridge?

Also tagged with sphinx, egyptology, egyptian sphinx, egypt, schoch

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users