Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Sphinx head - Is it the original?

sphinx egyptology egyptian sphinx egypt schoch

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#31    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,786 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostHarte, on 12 May 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

It's pretty much a certainty that hieroglyphic writing developed right there in Egypt.

Ancient examples of early proto-writing there have been found on wood and ivory inventory tags made in predynastic times to label tax payments/tribute booty.

These early forms can be seen evolving over time into the earlier hieroglyphic forms.

Harte
Isn't that the same way the middle eastern Cruneiform evolved?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#32    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,966 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 12 May 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Isn't that the same way the middle eastern Cruneiform evolved?

Yes.
Counting, and keeping up with the count of, money seems to be a strong influence on the ways of humans, eh?

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#33    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,364 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 12 May 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Now that Aquatus 1 pointed out in a quote, i should state that this is highly improbable since them bassets always lie down with their long sloppy ears and drooling. never do they sit erect. So, the sphinx could have never been a Basset hound.

View Postjaylemurph, on 12 May 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

That's actually very true. Basset hounds never sit up with they can lie down.

Blindness!  Do you not see that your very own arguments support the BassetSphynx theory?

Would you yourselves not immortalize in ancient stone itself, something as utterly amazing and inconceivable as a basset hound that sat upright and attentively, as opposed to some common doberman or lion that sits so vainly all the the time?

#34    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,786 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 13 May 2013 - 01:07 AM, said:

Blindness!  Do you not see that your very own arguments support the BassetSphynx theory?

Would you yourselves not immortalize in ancient stone itself, something as utterly amazing and inconceivable as a basset hound that sat upright and attentively, as opposed to some common doberman or lion that sits so vainly all the the time?
Maybe the BassetSphinx drool was what powered Cladkings counterweights hanging off the North East cliff face? :whistle: :innocent: :no:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#35    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,819 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 13 May 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

Maybe the BassetSphinx drool was what powered Cladkings counterweights hanging off the North East cliff face? :whistle: :innocent: :no:

I've often thought that very thing!

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#36    Harte

Harte

• 8,966 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 13 May 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

Okay, but what did they do with the immense volumes of extra drool?

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson

#37    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

the Lake ... gentlemen ... you're forgetting the 'Lake' that used to be there in front of the sphinx ...

it all fits  ...

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#38    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,722 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 13 May 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

the Lake ... gentlemen ... you're forgetting the 'Lake' that used to be there in front of the sphinx ...

it all fits  ...

You mean to say that the AE drank and bathed in drool???

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#39    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 13 May 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

You mean to say that the AE drank and bathed in drool???

That's holy and divine drool to you ... do not raise the displeasure of the gods ... they find your lack of faith a source of annoyance ...

it is fermented drool if you must know :yes:

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#40    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostHarte, on 12 May 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

It's pretty much a certainty that hieroglyphic writing developed right there in Egypt.

Ancient examples of early proto-writing there have been found on wood and ivory inventory tags made in predynastic times to label tax payments/tribute booty.

These early forms can be seen evolving over time into the earlier hieroglyphic forms.

Harte

Posted Image

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#41    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,819 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

View Postthe L, on 13 May 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Posted Image

I can't speak to specifically Egyptian proto-writing, but there is evidence of (at times almost contemporary) proto-writing in proto-Elamite and several objects found in Eastern Europe (at least one or two have had threads here, and you may wish to look those up if you're interested -- keyword would be Vinca or Vincha).

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#42    Harte

Harte

• 8,966 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

Denise Schmandt-Besserat, Professor at the University of Texas at Austin, explains as follows the reasons why it is now held that writing spread from Mesopotamia to Egypt. Mesopotamia provides data that illustrates the step by step evolution of data processing from 8000 B.C. to the present. Clay counters of many shapes - tokens - were used to count goods in early agricultural communities from 8000 to 3000 B.C.. When the Mesopotamian script written on clay tablets appeared, coinciding with the rise of the state, about 3200 B.C., it visibly evolved from the token system. Tokens and writing had an identical function. Both served strictly for accounting the same types of goods, namely small cattle, cereals, oil, textiles, etc. The written signs were traced in the shape of tokens, bearing the same markings. The signs were organized using the same order as the previous tokens. Apparently, about 3100 B.C., the Mesopotamian state administration required that the names of the individuals, that either received or gave the goods stipulated, be entered on the accounting tables. These personal names could not easily be written logographically without the risk of overburdening the system. In order to solve the problem, the accountants resorted to writing individuals' names phonetically. This brought writing to a new course that, in the course of centuries or even millennia, developed into the cuneiform syllabaries (1 sign = 1 syllable) used by the Babylonians and Assyrians.

Thus, Mesopotamia is different from Egypt, where writing seems to appear suddenly, in that an uninterrupted sequence of data in Mesopotamia illustrates how accounting developed, requiring more and more sophisticated devices to deal with larger amounts of data with greater precision. Because Egypt provides yet no indication of any antecedents to writing, it was logical to assume that phonetic writing leap-frogged from Mesopotamnia to Egypt about 3100 B.C.. The borrowing was supported by the fact that the Egyptian rebus principle was identical to that of Mesopotamia and therefore seemed to be connected. Furthermore, there is evidence for a strong Mesopotamian influence in Egypt in the late fourth millennium B.C.. This is attested by the presence of typical Mesopotamian features of various nature. For example, a certain style of monumental architecture, the use of cylinder seals, specific decorative patterns featuring intertwined fantastic animals, and even the actual representation of the Mesopotamian Priest-king displayed with his unique status symbols. Because the reverse is not true, namely there is no trace of an Egyptian presence in Mesopotamia at that time, all seems to point to a flow of ideas from Mesopotamia to Egypt.
source
The glyphs themselves originated in Egypt, but the idea and style of composition came from Mesopotamia, which used a radically different form of characters (of course.)

Image of a few tags from the linked site:
Posted Image

Harte

#43    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 13 May 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

I can't speak to specifically Egyptian proto-writing, but there is evidence of (at times almost contemporary) proto-writing in proto-Elamite and several objects found in Eastern Europe (at least one or two have had threads here, and you may wish to look those up if you're interested -- keyword would be Vinca or Vincha).

--Jaylemurph

Im aware of Vinča script. But thats different continent. Btw there is earlier script in China.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#44    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:47 AM

@Harte

1. Why should I believe Larkin Mitchell/Denise Schmandt Besserat and not others Egyptologists? He didnt provide evidence what so ever.

2. From your site "Because Egypt provides yet no indication of any antecedents to writing, it was logical to assume that phonetic writing leap-frogged from Mesopotamnia to Egypt about 3100 B.C.. "
It wasnt logical at all. Again this wanna be famous Larkin Mitchell/Denise Schmandt-Besserat stressed out that that in Egypt there is no indication of any antecedents to writing. So he/she assume and conclude that phonetic writing came from Sumeria.

This is hilarious. On what basis? Because Sumerians,Akkadians, Assyrians came to Egypt. Egyptians came to Sumer too. Did Sumerian cuneiform influenced Indus valley script? I mean I see similarites, dont you?

3.Denise Schmandt-Besserat doesnt know that Sumeria influenced Egypt, culturaly, a lot more then she mentioned. Making me think that she doesnt know much about it.
I can give different explaination "why" then Denise. Sort as everyone trough history came to China. and not other way around. Except Ming voyages and similar. To me message is clear. You came to us- We are boss.

4. Tell me Harte, do you realy see similarites between Sumeria cuneiform and Egyptian hieroglyphs? Use common sense and logic to answer all this questions.

btw Denise just believe in this story. Same as Buddhists believe that they were once Platypus, Octopus and Giraffe.

Edited by the L, 14 May 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#45    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

Harte if so, what do you think, whats origin of mummies in Egypt? :w00t: America or Lybia? I mean there are Mummies in America.

Edited by the L, 14 May 2013 - 05:03 AM.

Also tagged with sphinx, egyptology, egyptian sphinx, egypt, schoch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users