Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Two-headed skull of ? found on beach

skull two-headed anomolly unknown freaky

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Definitely not a skull, there is nothing comparable to the eye orbits, naris or fenestra openings that are common for virtually all skulls.

My guess would be a piece of hard coral, of which there are over a hundred species.

Hard coral is calcium carbonate, while bone is calcium phosphate.  An easy way to see if it is calcium carbonate is to cover it with vinegar in a container, and look for bubbles.  That is the carbon dioxide being produced from the chemical reaction.  It may take minutes or hours with rocks that contain calcium carbonate, but if it is made entirely from of calcium carbonate, it may be more immediate.  If you don't want to risk the whole specimen, chip off a small piece and soak that.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#32    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostAMBERTRACKS, on 07 May 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

ALLOW ME TO ASSURE YOU THAT THIS IS NOT A HOAX OF ANY SORT OR AN ALTERED PIECE OF WOOD OR CLAY

Well that has me absolutely convinced. Nothing like yelling about a two headed skull to make a convincing argument...

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#33    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,320 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

I can't identify it specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's an egg case from some marine critter. Did you find it on a beach?

#34    Cryptid_Control

Cryptid_Control

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

• “When the snows falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

I agree with everyone else that it doesn't look like a skull, I actually have a gargoyle statue in my backyard and it does resemble it material wise, but the shape is odd. Just to be sure definitely take it to your local museum

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#35    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,098 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostHerNibs, on 07 May 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

I'm going with some type of vertebrae.

Nibs

The atlas to be specific.

#36    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,320 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 09 May 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

I can't identify it specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's an egg case from some marine critter. Did you find it on a beach?

Whoops, looked at a few more pics and now go with 'vertebra'. Or maybe from a crinoid stem?

Edited by PersonFromPorlock, 12 May 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#37    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

I doubt this is a vertebrae, the body of most is fairly flat and there would be an unobstructed opening for the spinal canal.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#38    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,098 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostInsanity, on 12 May 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

I doubt this is a vertebrae, the body of most is fairly flat and there would be an unobstructed opening for the spinal canal.

There are many different kinds of 'atlases', but you are right: I just now watched all the photos and it does look more like something carved from coral or bone or something. On the other hand: they do carve vertebrae into decorative figurines.

#39    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

Currently my best guess is the theca from a blastoid, a species of echinoderm, now extinct but fossils are commonly found.
The theca is the casing, which were fairly small and were supported above the sea floor by a stalk.  This object appears small when compared to the penny in one of the photos.  The opening seen in the first image may very well be where the stalk was connected. The stalks were less likely to be preserved.  The top view shows what may be small openings or pores that could be spiracles.

They usually have a five-fold symmetry, which this object doesn't have, but there are some that are a bit irregular

Here are a few images of some;
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#40    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,954 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostAMBERTRACKS, on 07 May 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

a gargoyle seems to be the closest type of creature description so far, good call kasey
A gargoyle isn't a type of creature.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#41    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,954 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostAMBERTRACKS, on 07 May 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

this is something from DNA thank you
You've done DNA tests on it?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#42    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,035 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

When does this get listed on ebay?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#43    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,109 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

The user wont come back so no point carrying on

#44    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,362 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

What if he did come back wanting his shell, wouldn't that be freaky.

#45    Pod99966

Pod99966

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

• I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage, with my books, my family, and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon,
    THOMAS JEFFERSON

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

I'm going with mutated 2 headed pixie, or fairy of some type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users