Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

I am going to join the Military.

military navy marines army

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Poll: Navy or Marines (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you recommend the Navy or the Marines?

1. Navy (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. Marines (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. Army (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Air Force (5 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostRaptorBites, on 10 May 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

US military service members get paid by rank, not job or branch.  Regardless of your a marine grunt (infantry) or an air force enlisted flight crew, you get paid the same which is all based on rank and years of service.  

I will admit that Navy and Air Force active duty stations are more well off than Marines and Army which is a perk to being the brains behind the brawn.

This is correct.

And yea I think Navy or Air Force is my choice, as much as I have a desire to be physical and and train I cant stop thinking about learning things that I can use for after I leave the military, again I dont want to get out and be stuck at a low paying job when I get out.

At least the Navy has SEALS and the Air Force have 2 special ops if I really wanted to try for them in the future. As of now im not sure which branch though.

#17    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

Just a regular guy, HS diploma, fairly smart, decent shape.

Any reason for Air Force?

Just by going off what other former Marines have told me, the chances of ranking above lance corporal (e3) is about as low as any other service.

In the US Army, (which I currently service under as reserves) E4 is given just based on time in service, moving up from there requires open slots, promotion points, and a board review.  Might want to do research on the branch you plan on joining to see what is needed to get to the next rank.

Aquatus1 is correct, please ask the recruit what you need to enter in as an E3.  If you get promised anything by a recruiter, such as rank or extra bonus, location of duty station, make sure it is in writing prior to arriving at MEPS to see the career councilor.

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

#18    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

This is correct.

And yea I think Navy or Air Force is my choice, as much as I have a desire to be physical and and train I cant stop thinking about learning things that I can use for after I leave the military, again I dont want to get out and be stuck at a low paying job when I get out.

At least the Navy has SEALS and the Air Force have 2 special ops if I really wanted to try for them in the future. As of now im not sure which branch though.

The Air Force has Para-Rescue.  Doubt they have another one other than that.

Being that my dad has been in the Navy 25 years retiring as a Master Chief, he got to travel a lot due to his host leaving port 6 months out of the year practically every year.  He visited a lot of countries while being pcs'd to Yokosuka Naval Base Japan.

Air Force, you get your choices of many OCONUS stations, however, unless you are flight crew, you probably won't travel all too often uncles you TDY or PCS.  

So if seeing the world is your thing, you get a better chance in the Navy.  As a fair warning, your living quarters on the boat as a low level enlisted is going to be cramp.

Your decision is really going to be based on your plan for the future.  If you haven't decided on what you plan on doing after your service, then I really wouldn't recommend joining until you know that much.

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

#19    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

View PostRaptorBites, on 10 May 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

The Air Force has Para-Rescue.  Doubt they have another one other than that.

Being that my dad has been in the Navy 25 years retiring as a Master Chief, he got to travel a lot due to his host leaving port 6 months out of the year practically every year.  He visited a lot of countries while being pcs'd to Yokosuka Naval Base Japan.

Air Force, you get your choices of many OCONUS stations, however, unless you are flight crew, you probably won't travel all too often uncles you TDY or PCS.  

So if seeing the world is your thing, you get a better chance in the Navy.  As a fair warning, your living quarters on the boat as a low level enlisted is going to be cramp.

Your decision is really going to be based on your plan for the future.  If you haven't decided on what you plan on doing after your service, then I really wouldn't recommend joining until you know that much.

Navy and Air force have a couple actually:

http://m.airforce.co...cial-operations

http://www.navy.com/...operations.html

Im not gonna lie the rescue ones sound interesting but the more I look into these combat/very physical roles it makes me wonder what they will offer me after the service...

Obviously if I was to go into matinance or computers that would have a much larger benefit for after I leave.

As far as what I want to do after I leave? I simply do not know, there are too many variables to consider, how long will I stay in the military? Just 4 years or 12 years? Who knows, will I have a family in a few years? Who knows? Its hard to say for sure.

#20    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

Navy and Air force have a couple actually:

http://m.airforce.co...cial-operations

http://www.navy.com/...operations.html

Im not gonna lie the rescue ones sound interesting but the more I look into these combat/very physical roles it makes me wonder what they will offer me after the service...

Obviously if I was to go into matinance or computers that would have a much larger benefit for after I leave.

As far as what I want to do after I leave? I simply do not know, there are too many variables to consider, how long will I stay in the military? Just 4 years or 12 years? Who knows, will I have a family in a few years? Who knows? Its hard to say for sure.

Special Operations is different than SEAL/Para-Rescue.  The Army has a SOC (Special Operations Center) as well like other services, which offer support to the SpecOps operators such as the Green Berets.

FYI, if you plan on staying past 10 years, you might as well finish your 20.  By the time you retire from duty, you receive a portion of your pay based on the TOS and Rank at time of retirement for the rest of your life.  Cheap medical/dental for you and your spouse.  (Beats having to pay the ridiculous cost of health care now a days).

And, based on your current age, you will be 43/44.  Which means you will still be coherent enough to continue education or work.  

Take it from me, while serving, get your bachelors degree.  It helps with your rank promotion and it will benefit you in the end.

#21    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

wow 20 years!

Honestly that thought is not really intimidating, the only thing would be being away from family; I mean sure I would be able to see them each year on leave and what not but still, I guess you have to make sacrifices. Man...my mom will be 83, my brothers 52, 61 and my sister 62....and me 44, all in 20 years...crazy!

Its hard to say until I actually join though, maybe I'll love it and stay for years, maybe I'll hate it and leave after 4, only one way to find out.

My main focus is branch and job, obviously it would help to take the asvab before anything but...branch, honestly at this point its AF or Navy, im not too sure what to base my decision on though.

You did mention travel which is something I certainly want to do which I hear Navy does get the most of.

#22    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostRaptorBites, on 10 May 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

US military service members get paid by rank, not job or branch.  Regardless of your a marine grunt (infantry) or an air force enlisted flight crew, you get paid the same which is all based on rank and years of service.  

I will admit that Navy and Air Force active duty stations are more well off than Marines and Army which is a perk to being the brains behind the brawn.

True, true.

Also, from the get go you will be treated better and put in a better base in the Air Force than the Army or Marines.

#23    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

wow 20 years!

Honestly that thought is not really intimidating, the only thing would be being away from family; I mean sure I would be able to see them each year on leave and what not but still, I guess you have to make sacrifices. Man...my mom will be 83, my brothers 52, 61 and my sister 62....and me 44, all in 20 years...crazy!

Its hard to say until I actually join though, maybe I'll love it and stay for years, maybe I'll hate it and leave after 4, only one way to find out.

My main focus is branch and job, obviously it would help to take the asvab before anything but...branch, honestly at this point its AF or Navy, im not too sure what to base my decision on though.

You did mention travel which is something I certainly want to do which I hear Navy does get the most of.

Navy can mean being on a boat most of the time, maybe at sea? Sure you can visit places if allowed to when at port, unless for some reason, usually safety or threat conditions, they do not allow you to get off the boat.

Then when at sea you cannot simply leave base and go visit with the locals unless your idea is swimming with sharks.

Also in the Navy you can be at your duty station, the guy or gal who is supposed to come relieve you from your shift decided to get drunk, they get a mark and lose priveleges, you get stuck doing a double.

Another thing to consider is overall you will be around more intelligent people in the Air Force and more simple people in the Navy. You don't need the highest ASVAB scores for some Navy jobs, you do for quite a few Air Force ones. Up to you to decide who you would be more comfortable around, overall.

Finally, there is this.

In the Navy your first place to go training will be Great Lakes. If you are not used to the cold time it out to not be there in the winter.

In the Air Force your first place to go training will be in San Antonio. If you are not used to the heat time it out to not be there in the summer.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 10 May 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#24    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Yea I guess it depends on your actual job, I think I'll talk to both recruiters, tell them my situation and just ask whatever questions I may have.

#25    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

I spent 34 years in the Army (Active and Reserve), and I had some highly technical jobs that translated well into the civilian world... And I've know Marines who also had high tech jobs - so don't think that "The Smart Ones are in the Air Force and Navy and the dumb Grunts are in the Army and Marines"...

Yes - overall the Navy and Air Force have a wider range of High Tech jobs, but they don't have a monopoly on them...

One thing to consider - that I get from a lot of ex-Air Force types... The Air Force is VERY officer oriented.. An enlisted person - while generally given good quarters (lodging) and such is very much in a support role to the Officer Corps...  Now you will get that in any branch (obviously) but the Air Force seems to be the most Officer Oriented of them...

As for travel.... I've lived in Italy, Japan, Korea, Germany, Turkey, Jordan, The Philipines and several States of the US... I've also "visited" Viet Nam and Iraq... Foreign travel was one of my reasons for joining when I first did...

The other posters were right about your ASVAB - so do the best on it you can, and don't overlook MOS's like Infantry - promotion is faster than in the tech fields, and you could always change MOS's after achieving rank - depending on your ASVAB and availability....(I actually went from High tech to Infantry and never regretted it) - plus (outside of Combat situations) Infantry training was actually enjoyable...

Edited by Taun, 10 May 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#26    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yea I actually would not mind infantry, especially as its something that keeps you active and in shape and outside.

I dont think Navy has an infantry though.

#27    Taun

Taun

• 7,568 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Yea I actually would not mind infantry, especially as its something that keeps you active and in shape and outside.

I dont think Navy has an infantry though.

They are called Marines...

#28    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostTaun, on 10 May 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

They are called Marines...

Yea techniclly. But its a different branch, lifestyle...

#29    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostTaun, on 10 May 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

I spent 34 years in the Army (Active and Reserve), and I had some highly technical jobs that translated well into the civilian world... And I've know Marines who also had high tech jobs - so don't think that "The Smart Ones are in the Air Force and Navy and the dumb Grunts are in the Army and Marines"...

Yes - overall the Navy and Air Force have a wider range of High Tech jobs, but they don't have a monopoly on them...

One thing to consider - that I get from a lot of ex-Air Force types... The Air Force is VERY officer oriented.. An enlisted person - while generally given good quarters (lodging) and such is very much in a support role to the Officer Corps...  Now you will get that in any branch (obviously) but the Air Force seems to be the most Officer Oriented of them...

As for travel.... I've lived in Italy, Japan, Korea, Germany, Turkey, Jordan, The Philipines and several States of the US... I've also "visited" Viet Nam and Iraq... Foreign travel was one of my reasons for joining when I first did...

The other posters were right about your ASVAB - so do the best on it you can, and don't overlook MOS's like Infantry - promotion is faster than in the tech fields, and you could always change MOS's after achieving rank - depending on your ASVAB and availability....(I actually went from High tech to Infantry and never regretted it) - plus (outside of Combat situations) Infantry training was actually enjoyable...

I spent my first 4 in infantry coming in as a PFC and left as a SGT at Ft Campbell with the 101st Airborne.  Then left after deployment to NTC.  Loved every minute of infantry and wouldnt change it for the world.  After my first contract I switched MOS to combat medic and working on my PA right now.

The opportunities are there for everyone to succeed.  Most people don't because they get complacent, which is why I want to instill the importance of getting your education while you are still single serving in the military.  Don't be like the other dummies that blow their money on stupidity and partying.

Use your head.

#30    Taun

Taun

• 7,568 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostRaptorBites, on 10 May 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

I spent my first 4 in infantry coming in as a PFC and left as a SGT at Ft Campbell with the 101st Airborne.  Then left after deployment to NTC.  Loved every minute of infantry and wouldnt change it for the world.  After my first contract I switched MOS to combat medic and working on my PA right now.

The opportunities are there for everyone to succeed.  Most people don't because they get complacent, which is why I want to instill the importance of getting your education while you are still single serving in the military.  Don't be like the other dummies that blow their money on stupidity and partying.

Use your head.

I am firmly convinced that Infantry and Signal Corps are the best job fields in the Army...

Also tagged with military, navy, marines, army

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users