Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

I am going to join the Military.

military navy marines army

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Poll: Navy or Marines (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you recommend the Navy or the Marines?

1. Navy (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. Marines (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. Army (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

4. Air Force (5 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Yea I actually would not mind infantry, especially as its something that keeps you active and in shape and outside.

I dont think Navy has an infantry though.

Don't get me wrong, and it is my personal opinion based on what I have experienced over the past 12 years of my career in the military, the training has really slacked off, especially since the mid 2000's for new soldiers.

I personally came from a time when taunting, pushing, and physical correction was common during basic training.  It doesn't happen that way anymore.  LOL

Most of the medical MOS of the air force is also done along side with the army in San Antonio on Ft. Sam Houston as well.

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

#32    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,076 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

This is correct.

And yea I think Navy or Air Force is my choice, as much as I have a desire to be physical and and train I cant stop thinking about learning things that I can use for after I leave the military, again I dont want to get out and be stuck at a low paying job when I get out.

At least the Navy has SEALS and the Air Force have 2 special ops if I really wanted to try for them in the future. As of now im not sure which branch though.

I am assuming you're an American, SereneScene, and that simple fact disqualifies you from joining what are arguably the finest soldiers in the world!

Posted Image

But then I'm very biased!!!! Good luck in whatever you decide.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#33    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostTaun, on 10 May 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

I am firmly convinced that Infantry and Signal Corps are the best job fields in the Army...

I am convinced it is the Medical and Infantry.  Although I have a few buddies in the Signal, Psyops, and Engineering who would whole heartedly disagree with me.

Still working on getting my EFMB for promotion points.  Trying to get my 7 before I hit 14 years in.  Unfortunately my older brother did it in 13 which he hangs over my head daily.  He's currently station commander for the AMEDD recruiting battalion here in CA.

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

#34    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostRaptorBites, on 10 May 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

I spent my first 4 in infantry coming in as a PFC and left as a SGT at Ft Campbell with the 101st Airborne.  Then left after deployment to NTC.  Loved every minute of infantry and wouldnt change it for the world.  After my first contract I switched MOS to combat medic and working on my PA right now.

The opportunities are there for everyone to succeed.  Most people don't because they get complacent, which is why I want to instill the importance of getting your education while you are still single serving in the military.  Don't be like the other dummies that blow their money on stupidity and partying.

Use your head.

Thank You.

I want to secure my future at a young age, I dont want to struggle later on. Does it even matter the job you pick in the Navy if my main focus is advancing my schooling?

I am interested in this: http://www.navy.com/...air-rescue.html

As I said I am a physical person, like to be outside, train, etc.

#35    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

Any Navy jobs in particular I should look into?

#36    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

Thank You.

I want to secure my future at a young age, I dont want to struggle later on. Does it even matter the job you pick in the Navy if my main focus is advancing my schooling?

I am interested in this: http://www.navy.com/...air-rescue.html

As I said I am a physical person, like to be outside, train, etc.

You may want to check with the recruiter if there are any prior qualifications needed to be an AIRR.  Such as scuba certification, proof of hours spent under water, thing like that.  I remember a while back meeting someone at a bar that was a former naval rescue diver, and she had told me she used to take scuba lessons when she was younger.

Remember, always ask relevant questions to the job you are interested in, and do your own independent research.  Coming from having a brother who used to do enlisted recruiting, recruiters are required to tell you the truth, however, recruiting is a sales job and they are not required to tell you everything unless you ask.

Leave no stone unturned.  Always ask questions regardless if you feel it is stupid or not.  The worse thing anybody can do is join the service and become surprised once you touch boots at training.  That usually turns out worse for your own personal morale.

I have heard it many times in my career.  "The recruiter lied to me.". My response to that is always the same.  "No, the recruiter didn't lie to you, you let yourself become the knucklehead."

#37    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostRaptorBites, on 10 May 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

You may want to check with the recruiter if there are any prior qualifications needed to be an AIRR.  Such as scuba certification, proof of hours spent under water, thing like that.  I remember a while back meeting someone at a bar that was a former naval rescue diver, and she had told me she used to take scuba lessons when she was younger.

Remember, always ask relevant questions to the job you are interested in, and do your own independent research.  Coming from having a brother who used to do enlisted recruiting, recruiters are required to tell you the truth, however, recruiting is a sales job and they are not required to tell you everything unless you ask.

Leave no stone unturned.  Always ask questions regardless if you feel it is stupid or not.  The worse thing anybody can do is join the service and become surprised once you touch boots at training.  That usually turns out worse for your own personal morale.

I have heard it many times in my career.  "The recruiter lied to me.". My response to that is always the same.  "No, the recruiter didn't lie to you, you let yourself become the knucklehead."

Ha! You make a very valid point, its not that they lie you just never asked them! lol

All in all I just want a job that has me outside, is physical and I can gain some kind of skill from it; or if I can get a degree. I dont know if im asking for too much but yea, we'll see, im just gonna go for it, take the asvab, try to score high, ask questions etc.

#38    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Any Navy jobs in particular I should look into?

You seem highly interested in a very physical special operations job.  I can't help you when picking a job as I have very little knowledge of what is available in the Navy.

Your best resource is seeing a recruiter and checking to see what jobs they offer that requires a high degree of physical activity.  I am sure they have a filter for their MOS's offered.  Also, not all MOS's are available all the time due to over staffing/overstrength, which is common in the Army.

#39    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yea the best I can do is go talk to them and ask questions.

I am very excited to do this!

#40    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostSereneScene, on 10 May 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Yea the best I can do is go talk to them and ask questions.

I am very excited to do this!

Good luck.

Also, you can ask the recruiter if you can take a practice asvab test there at the recruiting station while your at it.  Recruiters like that because it actually shows interest and that your are some what serious in joining.  Most recruiters will never deny you taking the practice test.  Plus, it gives you a good idea on what kinds of questions you will need to study for to increase your score and show your weak spots.

Recruit asvab scores are like bragging rights to recruiters.  My brother always held a competition at his old unit to get the highest recruit asvab.  They always brag to other recruits of the jobs they have gotten their sign ups to fill and asvab scores are proof.  LOL.

#41    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,410 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

When you do finally decide on a branch and an MOS and get to your MOS school (after basic training/boot camp)... Do your "darnedest" to not only graduate the course, but graduate highly placed... Often (in the Army at least) you can wrangle an extra stripe (pay grade) out of it - or at least a choice assignment...

And if you should happen to wash out of the course, be advised that the service may not be obligated to placing you where you want, but "according to the needs of the service"...

edit: I meant placing you in another MOS field...

Edited by Taun, 10 May 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#42    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Yea I actually took the Navy practice test last year, I did the computerized one and he said I only missed paasing by like 2 points, he said brush up on my math and arithmetic (which I happened to guess a lot on that part) because well...I suck at math, not to mention I had not done math for a while prior to that.

I am confident I'll pass no doubt but I want to score high, I have an asvab book at home I will really start to study it up, God i hate math....

#43    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostTaun, on 10 May 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

When you do finally decide on a branch and an MOS and get to your MOS school (after basic training/boot camp)... Do your "darnedest" to not only graduate the course, but graduate highly placed... Often (in the Army at least) you can wrangle an extra stripe (pay grade) out of it - or at least a choice assignment...

And if you should happen to wash out of the course, be advised that the service may not be obligated to placing you where you want, but "according to the needs of the service"...

Oh yes i know of that last part, thanks for the advice on the school part though, i will try my absolute hardest at MOS school, especially if it involves a rank!

#44    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostTaun, on 10 May 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Yes! Yes! And yes!

Always give it 115% regardless of what anyone wants you to believe.  In the army, a DHG (distinguished honor grad) during MOS training receives an AAM (army achievement medal) which does give you promotion points.

Rember, all the bonuses and kickers promised to you are contingent based on you fulfilling your contract.  Meaning, if you were to wash out on your training for your mos and you get reassigned, you risk losing your bonus.

#45    SereneScene

SereneScene

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

Do you guys think I have been maybe a bit too focused on the future? Maybe I should just do the test, see what I can get based on my results and then just go through with it, perhaps im thinking too much of the future without living in the present? I mean there are so many variables in life, who knows what will change in the future, perhaps my path will be different once I get in there, so many things can happen, maybe I should just focus on living life...

Also tagged with military, navy, marines, army

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users