Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Stephen Hawking Joins Israeli Academic Boycot

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Renowned theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking, 71, has decided to pull out of a major conference, hosted by Shimon Peres, that Hawking was scheduled to headline in Jerusalem. Hawking said it was "his independent decision to respect the boycott, based upon his knowledge of Palestine, and on the unanimous advice of his own academic contacts there."

http://www.guardian....cademic-boycott

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,965 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

I support his right to choose but it seems improper to boycott an event that is purely about science.  He has attended other functions there so he certainly isn't an anti semite.  The very fact that he has lived with ALS for so many years has to be some kind of miracle in itself.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Good, glad he has. I hope the point is made more public as well.

View Postand then, on 08 May 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

I support his right to choose but it seems improper to boycott an event that is purely about science.  He has attended other functions there so he certainly isn't an anti semite.  The very fact that he has lived with ALS for so many years has to be some kind of miracle in itself.

Of course he isn't an anti semite..... It's the typical card played by the extreme Zionist Jews when they don't get their own way or when someone disagrees with them. It's like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum.

If I made up a new religion and tried to play a card like that, everyone would laugh at me. But since WW2 and the nasty stuff the Nazi's did the Jews have had that card.

Edited by Coffey, 08 May 2013 - 01:50 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#4    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,601 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

I support his right to choose but it seems improper to boycott an event that is purely about science.

How is it improper? It´s his way of demonstartting his feelings about what is happening there.

He has attended other functions there so he certainly isn't an anti semite.  

No he isn´t. But everyone has their line in the sand and I guess his has finally been crossed

The very fact that he has lived with ALS for so many years has to be some kind of miracle in itself.

Yes it is. However, it has absolutely nothing to do with Judaism.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#5    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,063 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

I do hope it's possible for someone to say that they object to the Israeli govt's policies and actions without having to worry about being labeled an anti Semite.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,965 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 08 May 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

I do hope it's possible for someone to say that they object to the Israeli govt's policies and actions without having to worry about being labeled an anti Semite.
It absolutely is possible and happens regularly.  I reserve the term myself for only the most obvious, egregious cases.  Antisemitism is not disagreement with the policies of Israel's government, it's the hatred of Jews just for being Jews.  In my opinion there are a couple of those here at UM but it isn't my place to call them out.  Most here are genuinely angry about the mistreatment of the Palestinians, have joined on the bandwagon of public hue and cry and find it fashionable to decry the "oppression and apartheid" policies of the Israeli government.  My chief issue with them is that they have no sense of balance or fairness regarding cause and effect in this conflict.  EVERYTHING is Israel's fault.

#7    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

"critics say he should stop using Israeli technology in computer equipment that allows him to communicate"

""Hawking's decision to join the boycott of Israel is quite hypocritical for an individual who prides himself on his whole intellectual accomplishment. His whole computer-based communications system runs on a chip designed by Israel's Intel team. I suggest if he truly wants to pull out of Israel he should also pull out his Intel Core i7 from his tablet," said Nitsana Darshan-Leitner of Shurat HaDin."

#8    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,063 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

View Postredhen, on 09 May 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

"critics say he should stop using Israeli technology in computer equipment that allows him to communicate"

""Hawking's decision to join the boycott of Israel is quite hypocritical for an individual who prides himself on his whole intellectual accomplishment. His whole computer-based communications system runs on a chip designed by Israel's Intel team. I suggest if he truly wants to pull out of Israel he should also pull out his Intel Core i7 from his tablet," said Nitsana Darshan-Leitner of Shurat HaDin."
And that just shows that the Israeli scientific community is not spiteful or vindictive in any way, doesn't it.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#9    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

LOL, like some thing out of a sketch show.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#10    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

It might have been made in Israel, but Intel is an American corporation. Otherwise I would agree with the logic.

#11    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,901 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Trying to claim the i7 for Israel was a bit spanky I must admit.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#12    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,063 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 09 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

It might have been made in Israel, but Intel is an American corporation. Otherwise I would agree with the logic.
Actually, I think there's a flaw in their argument. They say "Hawking's decision to join the boycott of Israel is quite hypocritical for an individual who prides himself on his whole intellectual accomplishment", but Intel didn't help with his intellectual accomplishment; that was all his own work. Where they helped was to help him communicate it; his intellectual accomplishment had nothing to do with israel. And by their argument, China might just as well claim credit for the accomplishments of American technology, mightn't they, since a lot of it was probably made there.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 09 May 2013 - 08:01 PM.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#13    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,298 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postjugoso, on 08 May 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

How is it improper? It´s his way of demonstartting his feelings about what is happening there.

No he isn´t. But everyone has their line in the sand and I guess his has finally been crossed

Yes it is. However, it has absolutely nothing to do with Judaism.

So I take it your all for the hundreds of rockets fired into isreal and don't think they should defend themselves.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#14    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,901 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:22 AM

View Postdanielost, on 09 May 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

So I take it your all for the hundreds of rockets fired into isreal and don't think they should defend themselves.
A small minority of the rockets came from Gaza, yet Gaza is under siege and the West Bank, Golan Heights, Lebanon, the Sinai, and Syria are not.   Obviously, "the hundreds of rockets" are no excuse for treating some Palestinians any differently.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#15    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,965 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postdanielost, on 09 May 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

In a word - YES.  This is exactly what they think.  There can be no other conclusion, though they are not ethical enough to be honest and say what the intent is.  These are the same kind of people who shook their heads and maybe uttered just a tsk,tsk when they heard and saw the results of the kristallnacht.  "Unfortunate - but after all, don't they deserve it?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users