Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Benefits of sun 'may outweigh risks'

sun skin blood pressure risks sunlight

  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 37,384 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

The health benefits of exposing skin to sunlight may far outweigh the risk of developing skin cancer, according to scientists.

Edinburgh University research suggests sunlight helps reduce blood pressure, cutting heart attack and stroke risks and even prolonging life.

UV rays were found to release a compound that lowers blood pressure.

Researchers said more studies would be carried out to determine if it is time to reconsider advice on skin exposure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-fife-22433359

Posted Image

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Joined:08 Oct 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alberta, Canada

  • if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Once again, science has painstakingly proven that what we all took to be common sense is actually right.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity


#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 12,586 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • I dunno --

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

From such a superficial report I have to wonder if maybe the reason those getting more sunshine seemed to live longer is that they were a healthier group going in.  Sickly people tend to stay indoors.

That is the problem with these press stories.  My view remains that we all need vitamin D supplements and that a little sun won't hurt, but probably only if it is gotten exercising, not toasting ourselves on the beach.  Skin cancer and premature skin aging remain risks.


#4    spartan max2

spartan max2

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,367 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Iv always argued with everyone that the sun is good for you despite what they say.

My logic? because everything needs the sun to survive ... so duh.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#5    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Joined:10 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tennessee, United States

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Maybe it's a case where a little bit is good but a lot is not?

Art


#6    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pensacola Beach

  • Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

People have been brained washed into believing that the sun is harmful to the point they'll smear their bare skin with all kinds of toxic chemicals and then bake them right into their bodies. Makes me laugh. I stick to the basic rule " if you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin". And living on the beach, I know all about sun exposure.  Alls I ever use is a water mist bottle and have never had a sun burn, Once again it should boil down to common sense.


#7    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 08 May 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

People have been brained washed into believing that the sun is harmful to the point they'll smear their bare skin with all kinds of toxic chemicals and then bake them right into their bodies. Makes me laugh. I stick to the basic rule " if you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin". And living on the beach, I know all about sun exposure.  Alls I ever use is a water mist bottle and have never had a sun burn, Once again it should boil down to common sense.



Yeah and those chemicals they use create a higher risk of cancer as well. It's hilarious.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 6,646 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Surely the skin colouring will make a difference too.
I would not believe that a person with black skin was at the same risk of sun damage than a person of very fair skin.
It does not say if the 24 volunteers were all of the same colour skin or whether they were all from the same parts of the world.
So the use of suncreams is still a must for some people. if someone burns very easily, then it does do damage to the skin.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#9    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,528 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 08 May 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Surely the skin colouring will make a difference too.
I would not believe that a person with black skin was at the same risk of sun damage than a person of very fair skin.
It does not say if the 24 volunteers were all of the same colour skin or whether they were all from the same parts of the world.
So the use of suncreams is still a must for some people. if someone burns very easily, then it does do damage to the skin.

No kidding. I am very, very fair skinned, so much so my husband teases me about glowing in the dark. I gave up trying to tan years ago because I would simply turn red and then back to white again. I have no choice but to wear sunscreen as much as I hate it.


#10    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,357 posts
  • Joined:21 May 2008

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 08 May 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

From such a superficial report I have to wonder if maybe the reason those getting more sunshine seemed to live longer is that they were a healthier group going in.  Sickly people tend to stay indoors.

That is the problem with these press stories.  My view remains that we all need vitamin D supplements and that a little sun won't hurt, but probably only if it is gotten exercising, not toasting ourselves on the beach.  Skin cancer and premature skin aging remain risks.

Well, one of the problems is it is kind of true, but sensationalized.   It is true that getting some sun exposure during peak vitamin D producing days and hours is more important than always wearing sunblock.  What is not true is that you have to chose between skin cancer and vitamin D.  You should always wear sunblock when spending long hours in the sun, like when swimming or boating.  If you garden a couple hours during the morning wear a sun hat and sun block on your face, shoulders, and exposed back/chest.  These areas are more prone to sun damage in general.  Don't bake in the sun on purpose.






Also tagged with sun, skin, blood pressure, risks, sunlight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users