Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

78,000 people apply for trip to Mars

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,943 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostEldorado, on 09 May 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Has anyone from UM volunteered?

Not that I know but I could put a few names forward...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#17    paperdyer

paperdyer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 09 May 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Oh and just a personal note, I'm pretty sure the only applicants that will be selected will be the good-looking ones...
a ) Because there will be 4 live HD video feeds running 24/7 so Earth can watch this historic event
b ) One of the team members is a marketing/entertainment whiz
c ) Because eventually procreation will need to happen or there's no point in starting a colony... :whistle:

Edit -- formatting

Wanta bet one of the Networks will try to show this as the ultimate reality show? :yes:

View PostLady Shade, on 09 May 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Sounds like Total Recall (the first movie).
The better one, too.

#18    merlinof2

merlinof2

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

If they're still looking for applicants, let's just let the info slip that there was an accident on Mars, and some rich person may have caused it.  About a Trillion lawyers will leave for Mars to jump on that issue, and improve life on Earth in the process.

#19    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 09 May 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Wanta bet one of the Networks will try to show this as the ultimate reality show? :yes:

Let's see - there are 10 members on the "team". 3 of those members are bringing business/communication to the table as their area of expertise. Let's not forget about our most important member of the "advisors" list:

Steve Carsey - Steve Carsey is a UK television executive with a reputation for creating, developing and producing successful formatted entertainment, factual entertainment and event based programming for the international market

I'm not trying to discredit this project because I really, really want it to succeed, but we ALL know how media works: if they're going to be broadcasting 4 live HD streams 24/7, project sponsors will want their logos displayed as much as possible and the people on Mars have to look like they belong on TV. This seems like a serious scientific endeavour, but also reeks of a profitable media experiment... :passifier:

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#20    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,553 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 09 May 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

How do you survive without supply? Is it possible to create air, food, water out of nothing on Mars?

We can make air and water, usa's nuclear subs do.  For food hydroponics.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#21    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

i am not sure about these people signing up with no way back especially when its a suicide mission too.my life is valuable so i won't throw it away.anyway the best i could say to these people is good luck i love good old planet earth here so i am staying.but i have to admit mars does sound fun and exciting a new discovery and new life somewhere else is cool and fun to look forwards too i am glad to admit. what do these people get to a least increase their chances of surviving and etc though?

#22    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

if it's a one-way trip, I reckon most of the chosen will be old folks.
fit ones, but still coming to the end of their three-score & ten, so I guess they'll be needin' a grave-digger.....?

#23    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,404 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

View Postmerlinof2, on 09 May 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

If they're still looking for applicants, let's just let the info slip that there was an accident on Mars, and some rich person may have caused it.  About a Trillion lawyers will leave for Mars to jump on that issue, and improve life on Earth in the process.
Now thats the Smartest Thing all day ! Welcome to the Show merlinof2 !  Your our kinda Thinker !

This is a Work in Progress!

#24    Amalthe

Amalthe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

It is completely idiotic notion to consider one way trip to Mars a suicide mission. Sure there will be no return, but that is a necessary first step in practical colonization of another world, and people sent there are not expected to die in 1st year after their arrival, they are expected to put grounds for future mass colonization. It's like labeling first europeans who went in Australia or Americas as suidicers. The basis of suicide is desire to end ones life, and those guys would be leaving earth to begin a life.

#25    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,162 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

View Postshrooma, on 09 May 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

if it's a one-way trip, I reckon most of the chosen will be old folks.
fit ones, but still coming to the end of their three-score & ten, so I guess they'll be needin' a grave-digger.....?

Honestly, sending us 'old folks' to colonize a planet would be one heck of a dumb move. Even if any of us 50+ folks would agree to go (and I doubt many would) the physical stamina needed just isn't there.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#26    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,632 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostLilly, on 10 May 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

Honestly, sending us 'old folks' to colonize a planet would be one heck of a dumb move. Even if any of us 50+ folks would agree to go (and I doubt many would) the physical stamina needed just isn't there.
Oh I don't know Lilly, I'm pretty sure the gravity is much lower on Mars - we could rediscover our childhoods, imagine batting a home run 10 miles up the road :w00t:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#27    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,950 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

They should name this first colonization to Mars, Roanoke 2. It's gonna be interesting to see how history repeats itself.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#28    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,358 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

View Postdanielost, on 09 May 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

We can make air and water, usa's nuclear subs do.  For food hydroponics.
If we could make it on Mars, why couldn't we make it on Earth. If we could there wouldn't be famine and pollute air and water.

#29    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostAmalthe, on 10 May 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

It is completely idiotic notion to consider one way trip to Mars a suicide mission. Sure there will be no return, but that is a necessary first step in practical colonization of another world, and people sent there are not expected to die in 1st year after their arrival, they are expected to put grounds for future mass colonization. It's like labeling first europeans who went in Australia or Americas as suidicers. The basis of suicide is desire to end ones life, and those guys would be leaving earth to begin a life.

Absolutely! I was halfway through typing a very similar response. This is only the second time in all of human existence that someone will have the opportunity to be the first to set foot on another world! What's more amazing is that this time, the opportunity is being extended to the common man! Who wouldn't want to forever be recorded as the first human being to land on the red planet?

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#30    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,553 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 10 May 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Oh I don't know Lilly, I'm pretty sure the gravity is much lower on Mars - we could rediscover our childhoods, imagine batting a home run 10 miles up the road :w00t:

You know those golf balls the hit into orbit on the moon.  The truth is they didn't go any further than they would have on earth.

The pods they,ll be living in would be temp. Structures.  Plenty of sand there to make a dome.  To redeation proof it they need lead.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users