Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

78,000 people apply for trip to Mars

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46    Lex540

Lex540

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• I am unique and distinct

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

whats the gain being the first 78000 people on mars i think its joke

#47    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,577 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Welcome to the Forum  Lex540 ! Well until we invent mass transit to Mars the only thing going to Mars are our little probes ! THe Manned missions is far,Far away !

This is a Work in Progress!

#48    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,082 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

View Postdanielost, on 16 May 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yes, we have.  Yet the shows on nuclear subs. Clearly state that they make their own water.
The make their own DRINKING water by PURIFYING salt water. A big difference. Go back and look at the link to my original post. I showed, with sources, that you were wrong. You made claims then, as you are now, that your sources did not provide. The big difference between you and I is that I don't make stuff up and then claim I saw it in TV, I provide sources for my claims.

Besides the shuttle made its own water.
Correct, water is a waste product of the power cells which generate electricity by reacting hydrogen and oxygen together (see HERE). The thing is that the amount of hydrogen and oxygen you have to carry is equal in mass to the water you generate. The shuttle needed to supply 7 people for maybe 2 weeks, not dozens of people for months or years. That is why submarines don't use this technique and instead PURIFY the water that surrounds them.

The only water they carried was for the station.
They didn't even carry water for the station. The fuel cells provided more water than was need for the shuttle crew. Before the ISS this water was dumped over board. This "waste" water is what the shuttle provided to the station.

Lost water will be replaced by carrying it over from the Shuttle or from the Russian Progress rocket. The Shuttle produces water as its fuel cells combine hydrogen and oxygen to create electricity, and the Progress rocket can be outfitted to carry large containers of water.
Source: Science at NASA

Seems you need an engine or a power generater to make your own water.
You need a fuel cell.
Ask yourself the following question: a nuclear submarine gets all the power it needs from a nuclear reactor, it is surrounded by water, why would it need to carry vast quantities of a highly explosive gas (hydrogen) and fuel cells to make water when it is surrounded by the stuff? How does that make any sense?

Further the apollo ships didn't carry water.
Correct.

They taped their engine for it.
Wrong.

The Apollo Service Propulsion System used a mixture of hydrazine and unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine for fuel and nitrogen tetroxide for oxidiser. These are toxic.

They carried hydrogen and oxygen for the fuel cells in the same way the shuttle did and it was this that provided the water.

Service Propulsion System

The 20,500-pound-force (91,000 N) SPS engine was used to place the Apollo spacecraft into and out of lunar orbit, and for mid-course corrections between the Earth and Moon. The engine used was an AJ10-137 engine[6] using Aerozine 50 as fuel and nitrogen tetroxide (N2O4) as oxidizer. The propellants were pressure-fed to the engine by 39.2 cubic feet (1.11 m3) of gaseous helium at 3,600 pounds per square inch (25 MPa), carried in two 40-inch (1.0 m) diameter spherical tanks.
Source: Wikipedia

The only apollo that needed tp store water was 13  and that is because they had to shut down their engine.
Nearly right. In fact the engine wasn't in use at the time. They were coasting towards the Moon. The service module engine would next have been fired to place the spacecraft in lunar orbit (which of course it never did). The service module engine was not used again because it was not known how badly damaged it was.

What exploded on Apollo 13 was an oxygen tank. As I have already shown above this was not needed for the service module engine. It was needed however for the fuel cells. It was the shutting down of the 3 fuel cells that led to the shortage of water.

I will take the shows word over yours becaue you have been wrong before.
Yes I have been wrong before but far fewer times than you. The other difference between you and me is that I admit when I'm wrong. I don't get proven wrong and then repeat the same mistakes in another thread. I don't just make up stuff and then say "I saw it in TV". You don't have to take my word because I provide sources, you NEVER do. If you choose to believe your self over reliable source that is your choice, but I will continue to put right the misinformation you post in topic after topic. I don't post for your benefit, I post for others that deserve the truth.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 20 May 2013 - 11:51 PM.
typo

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#49    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

You were correct, after I did some more research.  How ever they should to fuel cells.  Because the steam  noise can be detected by sonar and the salt trail can also be detected.  Your links did not help two years .

My point was we know how make water.

Edited by danielost, 23 May 2013 - 07:49 PM.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users