Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Disc-shaped UFO caught in NASA photograph

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#31    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Whats wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 09 May 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Or maybe just most probably it's these :

wiki
Man theres sooooo much junk up there. WOW

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#32    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,862 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 09 May 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Man theres sooooo much junk up there. WOW

that's part of the reason the space programs stalled for such a length of time .... its a dangerous passage out to space and its going to get worse when the satellites orbiting the earth now gets junked.

From the earliest days of the Space Shuttle missions, NASA has turned to NORAD's database to constantly monitor the orbital path in front of the Shuttle to find and avoid any known debris. During the 1980s, these simulations used up a considerable amount of the NORAD tracking system's capacity.[31] The first official Space Shuttle collision avoidance maneuver was during STS-48 in September 1991.[90] A 7-second reaction control system burn was performed to avoid debris from the Cosmos satellite 955.[91] Similar manoeuvres followed on missions 53, 72 and 82.[90]
One of the first events to widely publicize the debris problem was Space Shuttle Challenger's second flight on STS-7. A small fleck of paint impacted Challenger's front window and created a pit over 1 mm (0.04 in) wide. Endeavour suffered a similar impact on STS-59 in 1994, but this one pitted the window for about half its depth: a cause for much greater concern. Post-flight examinations have noted a marked increase in the number of minor debris impacts since 1998.[92]
The damage due to smaller debris has now grown to become a significant problem in its own right. Chipping of the windows became common by the 1990s, along with minor damage to the thermal protection system tiles (TPS). To mitigate the impact of these events, once the Shuttle reached orbit it was deliberately flown tail first in an attempt to intercept as much of the debris load as possible on the engines and rear cargo bay. These were not used on orbit or during descent and thus were less critical to operations after launch. When flown to the ISS, the Shuttle was placed where the station provided as much protection as possible.[93]

wiki

~edit : wikiquote

Edited by third_eye, 09 May 2013 - 06:36 PM.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#33    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 09 May 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

What is there to hide when there is none to hide ?

These pictures of 'inexplicable' objects caught on camera is just what it is .... objects, out there.
It is the property of NASA and nobody has any right to it except NASA, not any single person no matter how high up.
To NASA its just pictures of unknown objects. That is all.

Most probably it's space garbage/debris from all the 'space programs' of the early days ...

I'm not saying these particular pictures are something alien (though intriguing) I'm saying that with all the eye witness testimony (and a LOT of video footage) out there that tells us something is going on (alien or not) we're entitled to know about it. This particular footage might be property of NASA but space itself, isn't. It belongs to everybody and if NASA or the government have one shred of evidence we've been visited or that we're not alone, people deserve to know. A little hysteria or not.

Personally I think confirmation of alien life out there would be good for this planet. We might actually stop squabbling and realise the potential of this planet and our race. For me, I find it ignorant for anyone to believe:

a ) alien life doesn't exist

or

b ) alien life does exist but hasn't got the technology to visit us.

Man, Earth is so young and even a race a mere 100 years ahead of us would be much, much more technologically advanced. Just look how far we've come in the past 10 years. Plus, scientists these days don't believe aliens would travel long distances in the conventional sense but actually bend space, like a piece of paper, to connect two points together. That seems a likely option to me, which heightens the chances we have been visited or at least observed.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#34    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 09 May 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

it is definitely not extra terrestrials or aliens .... just UFO in its pure sense of the word and definition : Unidentified Flying Objects

Well, in this particular case no can say what it is but you can't just say "it is definitely not extra terrestrials or aliens" because you don't know either.

And, thanks for clearing up what UFO means. I had no idea.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#35    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Whats wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 09 May 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

I'm not saying these particular pictures are something alien (though intriguing) I'm saying that with all the eye witness testimony (and a LOT of video footage) out there that tells us something is going on (alien or not) we're entitled to know about it. This particular footage might be property of NASA but space itself, isn't. It belongs to everybody and if NASA or the government have one shred of evidence we've been visited or that we're not alone, people deserve to know. A little hysteria or not.

Personally I think confirmation of alien life out there would be good for this planet. We might actually stop squabbling and realise the potential of this planet and our race. For me, I find it ignorant for anyone to believe:

or

Man, Earth is so young and even a race a mere 100 years ahead of us would be much, much more technologically advanced. Just look how far we've come in the past 10 years. Plus, scientists these days don't believe aliens would travel long distances in the conventional sense but actually bend space, like a piece of paper, to connect two points together. That seems a likely option to me, which heightens the chances we have been visited or at least observed.
You make a very good point, But as long as the powers that be are in control of things I dont see them telling us anything about space, and whats flying around in it.  Id love for aliens to exist and Im sure they do, but like I said the powers that be dont want us to know about it were probably not going to know about it.  Thats even if aliens are visiting this planet

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#36    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,862 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

~snip

~snip

agreed

View PostSweetpumper, on 09 May 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Well, in this particular case no can say what it is but you can't just say "it is definitely not extra terrestrials or aliens" because you don't know either.

And, thanks for clearing up what UFO means. I had no idea.

Though we cannot say we know for sure what it is , one thing we can say for sure is it is definitely not extra terrestrials or aliens.

Look guys, my personal opinion ?

IF and that's a BIG if .... there comes a day or time when 'proof' or evidence of aliens or whatever life other than on this little blue marble planet of ours do surface and becomes available, the scientific community would be jumping with excitement besides themselves, not to mention the kind of fame and big bucks they can be expected to roll their way.... so don't worry.... they'll be yelling it to your face regardless if you're interested or not.

:tu:

Look I highly recommend this read : NEW WORLD NEW MIND - PDF Edition
Even if you only read a book a year ... read this one.... its essential reading to our generation //

Have fun :)

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

#37    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 09 May 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Though we cannot say we know for sure what it is , one thing we can say for sure is it is definitely not extra terrestrials or aliens.

I understand, you probably haven't seen anything that can't be rationally explained away.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#38    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,862 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 09 May 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

I understand, you probably haven't seen anything that can't be rationally explained away.

On the contrary .... I have more experiences beyond the rational than I care to remember ... :yes:

To me there is non-science and non-sense, but that will have to wait for another time and place, I'm tired and sleepy and soon to be grouchy :lol:

nightey nites boys ...

'

#39    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,470 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 09 May 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

There's a few pics from the same series on NASA's website showing something similar.

Here's another:

Posted Image

*puts on flame proof suit*

It's lens flare.
So does that mean it's a photographic artifact?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#40    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 10,949 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

<snip>

or

Frankly, and with all due respect, I find the above a bit presumptuous. What if the speed of light truly is the ultimate limit and there are no practical means of creating wormholes or similar, only mathematical constructs?

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#41    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 09 May 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

On the contrary .... I have more experiences beyond the rational than I care to remember ... :yes:

To me there is non-science and non-sense, but that will have to wait for another time and place, I'm tired and sleepy and soon to be grouchy :lol:

nightey nites boys ...

If you've told of them here before, point me to them, I'd like to read about them.

#42    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 09 May 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Frankly, and with all due respect, I find the above a bit presumptuous. What if the speed of light truly is the ultimate limit and there are no practical means of creating wormholes or similar, only mathematical constructs?

Cheers,
Badeskov

It's not my theory, it's one held by many scientists. I just happen to find it a logical possibility.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#43    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,863 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 09 May 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Why do you think no-one can say what it is? I can say what it is with reasonable confidence.

It's lens flare.  It's pretty clear when you exam the previous few and next few in the same sequence and if you're familiar with what the symptoms are of this type of lens flare.

Apologies for the size of the image, but when blown up you can see what I'm getting at.  Note that when I draw a straight line from the center of the image through the UFO and the bright splotches caused by lens flare, it makes a neat straight line through the centre of the picture, a very common symptom of lens flare.  It happens whereever the UFO is.  I had to heavily brighten the pic the OP is based upon as the other lens flare artefacts were pretty subtly hidden in the blackness of space.  I understand such mundane explanations won't satisfy some people but it is what it is.

Posted Image

Edited by Archimedes, 09 May 2013 - 07:09 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#44    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 09 May 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Why do you think no-one can say what it is? I can say what it is with reasonable confidence.

It's lens flare.  It's pretty clear when you exam the previous few and next few in the same sequence.

Apologies for the size of the image, but when blown up you can see what I'm getting at.  Note that when I draw a straight line from the center of the image through the UFO and the bright splotches caused by lens flare, it makes a neat straight line through the centre of the picture, a very common symptom of lens flare.  It happens whereever the UFO is.  I had to heavily brighten the pic the OP is based upon as the other lens flare artefacts were pretty subtly hidden in the blackness of space.  I understand such mundane explanations won't satisfy some people but it is what it is.

Posted Image

I'd agree in this case, sure. And if it's not, it really could be any number of things.

#45    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,863 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 09 May 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

I'd agree in this case, sure. And if it's not, it really could be any number of things.
What else could cause what I showed above?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users