Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Strange disappearances in national parks

disappearances missing strange abductions parks forests

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,511 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:03 AM

I have traveled deep into many wilderness areas mostly alone.  There is an evil spirit deep in the remote places of the world. It's name is stupidity. I'm not shocked at all that people go missing. I have seen some pretty stupid things that people do. Most of the time they manage but for every idiotic thing I have seen there probably is 1000 that i did not. I can probably list 15 things off the top of my head that can go wrong and no one will ever hear from the person again.

This dosnt mean the wilderness is all that dangerous. In fact you are in more risk driving there than being there. Just don't forget about  the dunning-Kruger effect.

http://www.google.co...afari#itp=open0

Edited by Seeker79, 15 May 2013 - 05:04 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#17    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

Sounds a lot like an ongoing advertisment in this thread.

So close to the major holiday too.

I suppose it is an age old scenario going back to leaving a trail of breadcrumbs to not get lost.

A good topic that doesn't require the need for a hard sale or heavy price tag imo.

#18    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

Cost to cost am did a story on this,there are a lot more people vanishing  that they claim its a cover up.

#19    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

..   it should come as now surprise that more people  'disappear' out in the boonies  than close to home?     .. add in the factor that people , alone , in the woods  are easier targets for predators ,  of ALL  sorts ?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#20    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 17 May 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

Sounds a lot like an ongoing advertisment in this thread.

So close to the major holiday too.

I suppose it is an age old scenario going back to leaving a trail of breadcrumbs to not get lost.

A good topic that doesn't require the need for a hard sale or heavy price tag imo.
if you go on holiday there you can take a book with you......now what books are there about this area...hmmm!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#21    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,511 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

View Postlightly, on 24 May 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

..   it should come as now surprise that more people  'disappear' out in the boonies  than close to home?     .. add in the factor that people , alone , in the woods  are easier targets for predators ,  of ALL  sorts ?
Unless you are in Certain parts of Africa there really is not even very many preditors that will mess with people. In north American it's really just bears and cougars. Very far north wolves Mabey.  Attacks are extremely rare. In California for example, despite it's image of coastal cities like LA or San Francisco, has sprawling wilderness areas and has only suffered 56 fatalities from bears since the 1920s despite haveing 10s of thousands of visitors to the parks and an over population of bears. These attacks are almost always in defense of young, on a wondering toddler, or someone being stupid. ( a nineteen year old girl painted herself in peanut butter for her boyfriend and a bear got her instead while she waited in his tent to surprise him). Cougar attacks are more rare than dog attacks. Unless you are in grizzly country the only dangerous animal you have to worry about in the woods is man.

Edited by Seeker79, 24 May 2013 - 11:55 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#22    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,300 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Sometimes I have gone to parks by myself and felt uncomfortable around some shady characters.   I do my best to keep my distance from these people.

When I went during the work week (Monday - Friday) there was hardly another soul there.  Plenty of peace and quiet, and yet eerie at times, too.

It's best to be vigilant and carry some kind of legal protection.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#23    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• Im so happy I bleed it.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Yea its rare that im craving a fresh book, sucks that its so costly. Add me to that discount list hilander.

Other life in the universe?, you dare to imply there are entities possibly far greater than us almighty humans, creators of canned ham and reality tv. Nonsense. Absurd.

The reality that stupidy exists in abundance doesnt bother me. Its the fact that theres still no cure.

#24    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 24 May 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Unless you are in Certain parts of Africa there really is not even very many preditors that will mess with people. In north American it's really just bears and cougars. Very far north wolves Mabey.  Attacks are extremely rare. In California for example, despite it's image of coastal cities like LA or San Francisco, has sprawling wilderness areas and has only suffered 56 fatalities from bears since the 1920s despite haveing 10s of thousands of visitors to the parks and an over population of bears. These attacks are almost always in defense of young, on a wondering toddler, or someone being stupid. ( a nineteen year old girl painted herself in peanut butter for her boyfriend and a bear got her instead while she waited in his tent to surprise him). Cougar attacks are more rare than dog attacks. Unless you are in grizzly country the only dangerous animal you have to worry about in the woods is man.

Yup,    I was thinking more of   human predators  taking advantage of isolated people...  but ya,,  good point animal attacks are VERY rare.     Snake bite  and accidents  probably account for some  ''mysterious''  disappearances?  

I'm usually not too worried about animals  when camping.. i worry more about people showing up...  they are unpredictable critters!

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#25    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Funny when I google the general topic, all I seem to get is this book or people talking about this book.

It doesn't really appear to be something that folks are talking about.

I think it would be really interesting to take all of his occurrences and research them to find out if they really happened.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#26    timewarrior

timewarrior

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

This is the Timewarrior speaking, the books can be found on the author's website for $25 each.  There are four now. . .the amazon books are sold by scalpers.

#27    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

View Posttimewarrior, on 05 September 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

This is the Timewarrior speaking, the books can be found on the author's website for $25 each.  There are four now. . .the amazon books are sold by scalpers.
This is the Praetorian-Legio XIII speaking, take yourself serious much, timewarrior. This is the Praetorian-Legio XIII thinking, yes you do.

#28    Helleal

Helleal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:10 AM

Hey guys, don't need to spend money, it is on you tube.
I've bee listening to it long time ago.
http://www.youtube.c... missing people

Dreams are my hope, sleep is my refuge, darkness is my life.

#29    timewarrior

timewarrior

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 05 September 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

This is the Praetorian-Legio XIII speaking, take yourself serious much, timewarrior. This is the Praetorian-Legio XIII thinking, yes you do.

This is the Timewarrior speaking.  Indeed I do.

#30    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

Missing people can be so weird.

I looked into UK's figures and it seems 275,000 people go missing a year.  looking at a snap shot of missing people I would say more than 90% just got up and left due to financial, relationship, mental illness etc.  However there are just a few cases where things look really weird.

Under 16 year olds who would usually cause a nationwide search seemed to have just vanished and the authorities don't seem to blink an eye.  One I read about was a 14/15 year girl who took a taxi to a beauty spot never to be seen again.  No indication she was meeting anyone, usually these cases would have been looked at for potential foul play but it was just classed as a missing person.

Another strange one was a mother of two.  She was at home and in the middle of preparing dinner for the children.  The husband/partner popped out and when he returned she was gone.  The food still cooking, no money taken, no documents.  They were described as a very happy couple by most who knew them.  Maybe she just ran off, but to abandon two children in a potentially dangerous situation just seems so weird.

In a day an age were you need banks, documents, national insurance numbers to do just about everything how can it be so easy to vanish?  The UK also has only 1000 unidentified bodies dating back to 1950.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users