Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Climate change to make millions homeless

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,841 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Climate change expert Lord Stern has warned that rising carbon dioxide levels could destroy communities.

Guardian Unlimited said:

The prospect of Earth returning to these climatic conditions is causing major alarm. As temperatures rise, deserts will spread and life-sustaining weather patterns such as the North Indian monsoon could be disrupted.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,346 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

please remind me not to invite Lord Stern for dinner. :cry:

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Yes it will, places that are lush and green now could be deserts.  The coastal communities that are here now will be no more with rising sea levels.  Places that are too cold now will be the livable places of the future.  Storms will get worse and more deadly.  May even be a mass extinction like in the Permian period if temperatures rise enough and they very well could.

#4    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 12 May 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

please remind me not to invite Lord Stern for dinner. :cry:

I doubt he'll have the time. Most of His Lordship's dinner engagements are with wind-farm developers and County Councillors!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,346 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

View Postealdwita, on 12 May 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

I doubt he'll have the time. Most of His Lordship's dinner engagements are with wind-farm developers and County Councillors!
Well how convenient is that! Don`t start me on them, don`t do I tell ya! not on a Sunday!!

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well the general view is that most of the Delta and several coastal cities will be under sea-level..  Moving them will be expensive but is already underway (via not granting construction permits in areas that will be flooded) and thereby gradually forcing the population inland.  Why don't other countries prepare like this?  

The planet experiences "millions homeless" every year and adjusts.  We'd like it otherwise but we have to live where we live.

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,346 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 May 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Well the general view is that most of the Delta and several coastal cities will be under sea-level..  Moving them will be expensive but is already underway (via not granting construction permits in areas that will be flooded) and thereby gradually forcing the population inland.  Why don't other countries prepare like this?  

The planet experiences "millions homeless" every year and adjusts.  We'd like it otherwise but we have to live where we live.
Flooding goods, bring it on! my boat is ready. :tu:

ps: boat will go on stilts if the water runs dry.

Edited by freetoroam, 12 May 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,346 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostHilander, on 12 May 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Yes it will, places that are lush and green now could be deserts.  The coastal communities that are here now will be no more with rising sea levels.  Places that are too cold now will be the livable places of the future.  Storms will get worse and more deadly.  May even be a mass extinction like in the Permian period if temperatures rise enough and they very well could.
As pointed out later, (in a roundabout way)  the councils and property developers will have concreted on most of those lush green areas before we dry out. They will flood the surrounding areas first with their concreted estates.

#9    Him over there

Him over there

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

It is interesting to note that one important factor has been omitted from these words of doom, namely a time scale for this "end of life as we know it" event to happen.     I have read other articles that say it will be something like 3 million years before it might happen, but there again the sun will enter a new cycle of heating and cooling before then and the tune will change to the one of an impending Ice Age.     So you pays your money and takes your pick, cook or freeze.

#10    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

We may be facing other problems such as plagues brought on by rising temperatures as well as lost farm lands.

#11    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostHim over there, on 13 May 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

It is interesting to note that one important factor has been omitted from these words of doom, namely a time scale for this "end of life as we know it" event to happen. I have read other articles that say it will be something like 3 million years before it might happen, but there again the sun will enter a new cycle of heating and cooling before then and the tune will change to the one of an impending Ice Age. So you pays your money and takes your pick, cook or freeze.

Another thing to remember, the climate change experts were telling us we were heading into anither ice age during the 1960's when the glaciers were advancing.  Another way to look at this is the Sahara was supposed to be a lush green area millions of years ago.  It turned into a desert without human help.  Who do the climate experts blame for that, the dinosaurs?

#12    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

People will say whatever they need to say to make a buck.
Look at Al Gore - He made more money scaring the daylights out of people than anyone could imagine.
And he cared so much about the cause that he donated exactly ZERO to any of the "Green" initiatives from the Billions he made.
....a fool and his money are soon parted.

#13    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostCapt Amerika, on 13 May 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

he cared so much about the cause that he donated exactly ZERO to any of the "Green" initiatives from the Billions he made.
....a fool and his money are soon parted.
surely that would mean that al gore is very clever indeed, wouldn't it??

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#14    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

sorry, no dinosaurs i'm afraid paperdyer.....
http://news.bbc.co.u...ture/390097.stm
(but you're right, it was nothing we did that was the cause.)

Edited by shrooma, 13 May 2013 - 05:00 PM.

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#15    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

I guess all the 'global warming is a myth' crowd must have the week off....?
:-)

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users