Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

At least a dozen shot at Mother's Day parade

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#16    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 12 May 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

i think he means about shootings started by gangs, you dont see any of them being reported in the UK. I guess the british press dont want people to become scared when going on holiday

I agree that gang violence is not reported as it should be. Here (and there too?).

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#17    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 14,662 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostF3SS, on 12 May 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

3 people involved? Sounds to me like some street beef. Couple idiots wearing different colored shirts saw each other and fired at will. If this is the case it wouldn't exactly be a standard mass shooting. This is what happens when rabid animals with no regard for others have illegal guns. Oh I'm sorry. Maybe we should try to understand them first. Yea right. Find 'em and hang 'em.
We understand them - we understand that they're pillocks.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#18    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 9,855 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

i think he means about shootings started by gangs, you dont see any of them being reported in the UK. I guess the british press dont want people to become scared when going on holiday
We do not need the British press to tell us about gang crimes.But when there are gang crimes they do report them, they got no choice today, what with twitter and that.
So far none of the news reports have mentioned gangs, on this side of the Atlantic or theirs.

#19    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

No I meant gun violence.  In the UK we don't bat an eyelid anymore because we hear so much coming from the states.

We are of course sympathetic to the victims, but don't really find it surprising whether it is gangs, lone nutters or terrorists.

Posted Image

#20    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,641 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Unfortunately most violence in this country comes from gangs but I'm not seeing any news agencies yet blame it on gangs.

I hope the victims survive this.

#21    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 9,855 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

I really do hope this changes the way the American government look at the gun culture and who they really should be targeting. NOT the responsible gun owners who respect their guns and others lives, but the gangs!
After all that has happened, all the poor children killed because of a nutter with a gun, all of the fighting over whether the laws should be changed, all those people fighting for their rights to own a gun, what happens? some low life gang members go out and have a shoot up like the rabid animals they are!
For crying out loud American, you do not need to fight your government to keep your guns, you should be fighting your government to hunt down those gangs which literally do seem to get away with murder, let alone the press coverage they deserve!

#22    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

View Postskookum, on 12 May 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Probably because mass shootings are so frequent in the USA now it is not really shocking news.

So horrific it has got this bad.

The BBC in the UK had a small piece on it.  It came after a football manager that has retired.  It use to big a big deal but seems to be a regular monthly occurrence.
It does seem "the norm" and the shock factor is lessening for me with each case. I'm afraid Sandy H ook, shocked the shock outta me . Just saddens me so much, that it's common.

#23    Big Jim

Big Jim

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

I don't know New Orleans.  I've never been there.  But there are places in my hometown where shootings and finding bodies in the street are no longer news.  As soon as you hear the name of the neighborhood on the evening news you know what's coming next.  .  I suspect most big cities are the same.  They all have places that locals know to avoid.  Places where nothing good ever happens.  The fact that it's Mother's Day is immaterial.  It happens on Christmas and the Fourth of July.  The problem is not lack of gun control.  As I understand it guns are very strictly controlled now, even though there are holes in the background check portion of the law.  But I would wager that most crimes are committed with illegal guns, stolen from legal owners with pristine pedigrees and traded on the black market.  No matter how strict the laws become those guns will be just as available as they are now.  The problem, as I see it, is the tolerance we have for these kinds of events and the people who commit them.  Whenever there is a list of suspects to accompany the story on the news, or the perpetrators are caught, they always show pictures with lines behind their heads.  In other words, mug shots.  They've been caught before, often for other gun related crimes, and released.  I hardly ever see a novice involved in a street crime.  So what we need to stop the carnage on our streets is not gun control but criminal control.  The laws that need to be toughened are the ones concerning the shooters, not the thing being shot.  Since most shooters of this type are repeat offenders, automatic life sentences for use of a gun in a crime, the first time, would go farther towards ensuring the peace than anything currently under discussion.

#24    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 12 May 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

I really do hope this changes the way the American government look at the gun culture and who they really should be targeting. NOT the responsible gun owners who respect their guns and others lives, but the gangs!
After all that has happened, all the poor children killed because of a nutter with a gun, all of the fighting over whether the laws should be changed, all those people fighting for their rights to own a gun, what happens? some low life gang members go out and have a shoot up like the rabid animals they are!
For crying out loud American, you do not need to fight your government to keep your guns, you should be fighting your government to hunt down those gangs which literally do seem to get away with murder, let alone the press coverage they deserve!

I agree. Gang violence is out of control in the major cities. Something needs to be done about these animals. And their guns are always obtained ILLEGALLY. Why won't the government address escalating gang violence?

View PostBig Jim, on 12 May 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

I don't know New Orleans.  I've never been there.  But there are places in my hometown where shootings and finding bodies in the street are no longer news.  As soon as you hear the name of the neighborhood on the evening news you know what's coming next.  .  I suspect most big cities are the same.  They all have places that locals know to avoid.  Places where nothing good ever happens.  The fact that it's Mother's Day is immaterial.  It happens on Christmas and the Fourth of July.  The problem is not lack of gun control.  As I understand it guns are very strictly controlled now, even though there are holes in the background check portion of the law.  But I would wager that most crimes are committed with illegal guns, stolen from legal owners with pristine pedigrees and traded on the black market.  No matter how strict the laws become those guns will be just as available as they are now.  The problem, as I see it, is the tolerance we have for these kinds of events and the people who commit them.  Whenever there is a list of suspects to accompany the story on the news, or the perpetrators are caught, they always show pictures with lines behind their heads.  In other words, mug shots.  They've been caught before, often for other gun related crimes, and released.  I hardly ever see a novice involved in a street crime.  So what we need to stop the carnage on our streets is not gun control but criminal control.  The laws that need to be toughened are the ones concerning the shooters, not the thing being shot.  Since most shooters of this type are repeat offenders, automatic life sentences for use of a gun in a crime, the first time, would go farther towards ensuring the peace than anything currently under discussion.

Great Post! :tu:

#25    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,641 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

The gangs are out of control.  I think cops in a lot of cities are afraid of them and with good reason.  I think its sad because you are poor and have to live in a city you have to put up with gangs.  Not a life I would want.

Shooting victims are up to 17 now.

http://www.cbsnews.c...s-day-shooting/

#26    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,672 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

My neighborhood had gang problems and still does but not to the same degree. I have seen it get worse then better now. Understanding what causes them: lack of good schools, access to good jobs, limited transportation, and parenting.

Luckily are city leaders are paying attention and helping us. There is no one-shot solution but a multi-tiered solution which is required.

Those of us who actually live in the inner-cities understand the problems and still want gun reform. Every gun obtained illegally was first manufactured and sold legally.

Those alarmist who claim gun control will only mean gangs will have guns and try to sell us their story using fear tactics would be surprised that we do not buy that.

We trust in law and order and our government from the local to national level. We trust in academia and solutions with results. We don't trust right wing media or those who don't actually live here. Arming more people or making more prisons is not something we would ever consider as primary solutions while ignoring more educated approaches which not just decrease gang violence but make our neighborhoods more liveable and sustainable.

The American public is not really focused on gangs even if our city will continue to focus on our neighborhoods.

The American public is focused on mass shootings now where random children die in all kinds of neighborhoods not just those in the inner-city. It is a problem that is all of ours and not relegated to some side of town. So it makes sense everyone is on board.

They will remain focused on that no matter how much others try and defer.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 13 May 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#27    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,141 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Gang stuff......

If gang crimes were on main stream news, they would need at least one station devoted to that 24/7 .....

We need hunting permits for gang members, with rewards for filled tags.

( and I lived in Cities, with gangs )

Edited by Sakari, 13 May 2013 - 12:07 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#28    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,672 posts

-AF

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

You probably don't live in neighborhoods with gangs. No one from our neighborhood wants to see teens be shot simply because they are in a gang. We want and are seeing better neighborhoods.

Your view is definitely an outsider one where you would not mind seeing teens from our neighborhoods die.

Luckily your prejudice will not be realized. Hunting humans would not improve out city. Dehumanizing others and calling them animals would not help. Putting young fathers in prison or killing them would have other detrimental effects overall.

We like life and want to see all live healthier ones. I've mentored and done graffiti wipeouts. Some from far away just complain. We know which opinions are from the outside and which are from here.

And no longer are all afraid either. Gentrification is well under way making inner-city neighborhoods which were once in decline now thrive. Old houses from the Victorian era are beautifully restored.

There is also something to be said about MCM homes which are sought after by those who appreciate living in town as supposed the cookie cutter suburbs.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 13 May 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#29    F3SS

F3SS

Heading towards the unknown

• 9,443 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 12 May 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

My neighborhood had gang problems and still does but not to the same degree. I have seen it get worse then better now. Understanding what causes them: lack of good schools, access to good jobs, limited transportation, and parenting.
Just parenting is the answer. Do that well and those other things will come naturally due to a more respectful responsible community.
When people discovered they can get more free money being a single parent the nuclear family was destroyed and the results weren't good and has spread like wildfire. Many of the schools in these neighborhoods used to be good and jobs were plenty and people took public transportation or walked to their dam jobs if they had to but that's when two parent families were important.

Also, I don't think you hear about gangs so much because they generally stick to their own neighborhoods. Should they become a suburb problem and you'll be hearing more about it.

#30    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,672 posts

-AF

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

Restoration of marriage and giving people back relationship skills is a huge part of the solution.

Schools should teach things like how to balance a budget, how to parent, and how the value of marriage.

Sadly companies paying less as a way to force both parents to work to make ends meet removed parents from homes too.

Conpanies outsourcing and sending jobs to China or Mexico is another part of the problem.

Technology which help erode connection with others and family also play a role.

The economy which require many to graduate from college and move far away from family for an opening does not help.

In the end we used to have grandparents and others around to teach the younger newlyweds how to parent.

The "stop shaking your baby to get them to stop crying" campaign was sadly needed but has helped stop that from being a rising trend to a declining one. Thank God.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 13 May 2013 - 12:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users