Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Meet the world's newest country

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

http://www.sbs.com.a...-campaign-to-UN

The Murrawarri tribe of Australia are an Aboriginal people whom devised a republic-based government and they alerted the United Nations, Queen of England, the Prime Minister of Australia, and the premiers of New South Wales and Queensland are "put on notice".

It may well be the first Aboriginal Australian republic and could start off other "republics" in Australia's Aborigines and indigenous peoples around the world: there is the Republic of Lakotah by the late AIM activist and actor Russell Means to represent the Lakota or Sioux people of the Northern Plains of the USA.

Historically, the Indian Territory of Oklahoma are sovereign nations: Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek or Muskogee, and Seminole. In addition, 50 other Native American tribes were located into the territory from 1838 to 1907, when Oklahoma became a US state.

Currently, there is no Native American republic in the world, but the countries of Guatemala, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and Paraguay have indigenous American majorities or large minorities. Canada in 1999 designated a self-governing territory Nunavut for the Inuit people, formerly of the Northwest Territories. Greenland has a mostly Greenlandic Inuit majority as well, but is part of Denmark.

Australian Aborigines and Native Americans are last in line for nationhood, not just as tribes under the jurisdiction of a larger country. South Africa under Apartheid used to have "Bantu homelands" as independent nations from the early 1970's to until the early 1990's, a scheme to further separate Blacks from the white ruling government.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,797 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

Good for them.
Now, how many others will they be dispossessing for their republic? What will wages there be like? Will they be an importing nation or an exporting one? How often will there be elections? Can anyone become part of their republic or must you be Murrawarri? How will they police their laws? How will they ensure the least of them gets cared for?

Not saying Australia's great on all those things but there's more to being a nation then saying "we've been oppressed in the past, we don't like how we're being treated now, we're going to make our own nation". Incidentally - up until recently Australia had succession laws that had been used.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

I bet Australians won't want their tax dollars going to pay for their medical bills or will they still want that part of it.

#4    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Seeker

• 2,967 posts

• "When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

Way to go. Maybe they have some knowledge to teach all of us. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

#5    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

Over here indigenous Australians get heaps of money and opportunity from the government as well as private companies. I also think that is one of the reasons why a lot of them arent too well off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users