Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UN urges people to eat insects

insects eat world hunger diet supplement

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#136    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 14,669 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

I eat mostly organic chicken and fresh fish. Every now and again I will eat grass fed beef steak. I don't eat any ground meat or junk food of any kind. I also eat lots of organic fruits and veggies. I do eat dairy, but only the low fat stuff. My blood pressure and cholesterol are normal. Most of my friends my age are on all sorts of medication, mostly due (IMO) to poor eating and exercise habits. From what I've seen it's not about being a vegetarian, it's about being a very healthy eater and keeping physically active.

Oh..and I never eat bugs (*shudder*).

Edited by Lilly, 16 May 2013 - 11:29 PM.
addition

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#137    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,208 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:10 AM

View Postunit, on 16 May 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

direct from the "UN", folks..
..i hope people are putting all this together

You know,I was sure I replied to this topic ,maybe on page one ,and I cannot seem to find it now ...
*ahem*

I dare say,the people urging us to eat bugs,are the same ones urging us to eat gmos .
The whole it will help the environment is such a farce ,given that methan foam the pig farms seem to grow ,would be a huge resource for alternative fuel,and yet they completely ignore that ,and cry the common man must eat crap.
You can bet none of them are following their own advice .

And those billions of ppl eating bugs,have done so for eons ,because of their culture .It's not like everyone in London Paris Tokyo and Chicago,suddenly gave up pasta and hotdogs,for some nummy locusts on toast .

They aren't new buggy foodie converts .Theyve always eaten them .
Some people in the western world do now indulge ,but its a far cry from even 1000s of new converts.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 17 May 2013 - 02:11 AM.

All dragons know that story.
What was to be their hope became their doom; a spoiled ungrateful child was given a great gift and destroyed it!

#138    shrooma

shrooma

Ugly bag of mostly water.

• 2,707 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

View Postredhen, on 16 May 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

The question you should be asking is "where do you get your fat?" Now that can be a difficulty.
if you're vegetarian, not vegan, you could always try veg stir-fry and veg fritters, both fried in butter, or lots of full-fat milk?
but if you WERE vegan, the only thing I can think of really is nuts?
(the oily brazil kind, not the 'i have to write in crayon coz they won't let me have anything sharp' kind!!)

''One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery, and a minimum wage.''
-Aldous Huxley-

#139    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

View Postshrooma, on 17 May 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

if you're vegetarian, not vegan, you could always try veg stir-fry and veg fritters, both fried in butter, or lots of full-fat milk?
(the oily brazil kind, not the 'i have to write in crayon coz they won't let me have anything sharp' kind!!)

LMAO!!!  You're a nut!!

Edited by Lava_Lady, 17 May 2013 - 09:59 AM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#140    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 4,567 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

I wonder if insects are on the menu at the UN....

Also:  Unless I am mistaken, there is no food production problem in the world - it is a food distribution problem...

Edited by Taun, 17 May 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#141    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

All this talk is starting to remind me of that old movie, "Soylent Green"....

#142    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostLilly, on 16 May 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

I eat mostly organic chicken and fresh fish. Every now and again I will eat grass fed beef steak. I don't eat any ground meat or junk food of any kind. I also eat lots of organic fruits and veggies. I do eat dairy, but only the low fat stuff. My blood pressure and cholesterol are normal. Most of my friends my age are on all sorts of medication, mostly due (IMO) to poor eating and exercise habits. From what I've seen it's not about being a vegetarian, it's about being a very healthy eater and keeping physically active.

Oh..and I never eat bugs (*shudder*).

I think you misunderstand when people say vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters (even though statistically, they are...) It's not that a vegetarian diet is healthier, at least to me, it's that you can be just as healthy as any meat eater (and healthier), without having to kill animals for it. Not to mention, a lot of meats are crammed with fat and going by the level of obesity in the world...they could do with laying off the slaughtered animal for dinner every night and try a bit of a fruit.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#143    GirlfromOz

GirlfromOz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

So when the UN says to eat insects,I automatically want to throw up.Now they are telling us that our food resources are running dry,they want us to eat the very insects that they are spraying & trying to kill. So how can you tell if the very insect you are about to eat isn't full of the insect spray that was used to irradicate them?

#144    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,595 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostGirlfromOz, on 19 May 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

So when the UN says to eat insects,I automatically want to throw up.Now they are telling us that our food resources are running dry,they want us to eat the very insects that they are spraying & trying to kill. So how can you tell if the very insect you are about to eat isn't full of the insect spray that was used to irradicate them?
You would be suprised how insects defense systems work.

#145    bloodworld

bloodworld

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

UN have fail because they are not educated! We are humans that we eat real food, but we are not animals duh!

#146    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,144 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

I guess certain insects can be very nutritious and, to some locals, even tastey.

Even Spec-Ops are trained to eat the right types.

But for me, as long as my trusty grocery store still exists, I'll pass.

Knowing that I likely eat half a pound of ground-up insect parts each year embedded in my "normal" food, of course.

#147    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

View Postshrooma, on 17 May 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Frying veggies in oil provides some fat content. Adding a spoon on coconut oil to meals or smoothies adds some short chain satruated fats which gave actually been proven (in moderation) to be quite healthy.

#148    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,595 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postbloodworld, on 20 May 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

UN have fail because they are not educated! We are humans that we eat real food, but we are not animals duh!
Humans are animals...duh!

#149    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,208 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostGirlfromOz, on 19 May 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

Oh gosh,Monsanto is now making genetically modified bees ,so soon,we can eat gmo crops,and gmo bugs ! Nom nom nom

All dragons know that story.
What was to be their hope became their doom; a spoiled ungrateful child was given a great gift and destroyed it!

#150    Big Jim

Big Jim

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

The UN can urge all it wants to.  That won't get it done. Until every last bit of hide, fur or feather covered meat is eradicated from the earth I will not be eating bugs. Since there are large populations that already refuse to eat either beef or pork, I will have their share of meat and they can have my share of insects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users