Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japanese mayor: wartime sex slaves necessary

Keel M.

Not much to say about this except... wow.

TOKYO (AP) — An outspoken nationalist mayor said the Japanese military's forced prostitution of Asian women before and during World War II was necessary to "maintain discipline" in the ranks and provide rest for soldiers who risked their lives in battle.

The comments made Monday are already raising ire in neighboring countries that bore the brunt of Japan's wartime aggression and have long complained that Japan has failed to fully atone for wartime atrocities.

Full story

• Like 4

Tell that to the women .

I try to divorce myself from some of Japan's history ,but some of it ,should be known,just to make sure it never happens again .

I know the war stories ,and about Nanjing ,but nothing prepared me for this movie ,which I'm pretty sure,despite being called "Chinese propaganda", is pretty close to the mark.

Some scenes with comfort women ,are depicted

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/city_of_life_and_death/

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 4

Oh... Well since they were necessary...

I lived near Tokyo for 4 years and I admire a lot things about Japanese culture and the people... but they do seem to suffer greatly from a persecution complex... They seem to think that any criticism (no matter how justified) is a 'racist attack'... Not all of them - but a significant number do...

Wow is right! It just stagger the imagination.

Mabon.

• Like 1

It seems women in many cultures are abused and somehow the abusers can justify it.

• Like 4

Oh... Well since they were necessary...

I lived near Tokyo for 4 years and I admire a lot things about Japanese culture and the people... but they do seem to suffer greatly from a persecution complex... They seem to think that any criticism (no matter how justified) is a 'racist attack'... Not all of them - but a significant number do...

Really Taun !?!

I lived in Shinjuku for three years .

Where did you live ?

And well Japanese psyche is a learned thing . Trial and error . If you want to function there,the faster you get their motivations,the bettter off you will be .

I'm very homesick actually . I haven't been back since 2009 . I went at least once a year when I wasn't living there .

From 1999 on .

I went the first time in 1990.

• Like 1

Yoko Ono said it all aptly ..

[media=]

[/media]

It seems women in many cultures are abused and somehow the abusers can justify it.

~edit : post bumped

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

Simbi - I lived in Minami (Sagami-Hara Housing area), and Zama (near the Sobudai-Mai station) East and south of Tokyo... I was stationed at Camp Zama (at Sobudai-Mai)... I got up to Shinjuku frequently as it was where our train line connected to Tokyo...

Really enjoyed my time there... (early 1970's)...

BTW: Have you seen the movie "Flowers of War".. about a secific event during the Nanjing "events" of 1937?..

It's a pretty good flick (though the -American - critics hated it), starring a lot of Chinese actors actually from Nanjing and Christian Bale...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

Simbi - I lived in Minami (Sagami-Hara Housing area), and Zama (near the Sobudai-Mai station) East and south of Tokyo... I was stationed at Camp Zama (at Sobudai-Mai)... I got up to Shinjuku frequently as it was where our train line connected to Tokyo...

Really enjoyed my time there... (early 1970's)...

BTW: Have you seen the movie "Flowers of War".. about a secific event during the Nanjing "events" of 1937?..

It's a pretty good flick (though the -American - critics hated it), starring a lot of Chinese actors actually from Nanjing and Christian Bale...

Oh,you were there with the military ? Is either of those near the base at Yokasuka ? I had a few friends stationed there at one point.

And no ,I haven't see it. I will definately check it out . I will let you know how I like it. I like a lot of Chinese actors ,but most of them aren't as active as they used to be . Whole new generation of them out,that I know nothing about .

The early 70s .Wow .It must have been very different there in the 70s .

They progress so slowly there mentally,but not technologically . Their cell phones and gadgets ,a re always five years ahead of ours .

Then ,they didn't get birth control pills there,until the year 2000.

It's an odd place ,but I feel at home there.

Zama is about half way to Yokoska - though it is still further west and a bit north of Yokoska (I know I said East earlier - sorry I meant West).... They form a rough triangle...

The 70's definitely were different than today - no doubt!... Electronics were no where near as main stream as today... Walkman's hadn't even been invented yet, if you wanted portable music - you used a transistor radio or a smaller version of the infamous "Boom Box"... it was considered very rude to use the later in public... Anime was not as all consuming there as I hear it is now - no one going about dressed up as a cartoon characters - though they had other odd (to us at least) 'fashion statements'...

The Zama area was considered 'rural' at the time and had a slightly slower pace than other more 'urban' areas... Looking at it now on Google Earth it looks like another suburb of Tokyo - no open fields at all...

I lived in Nagoya and Ichihara Chiba. I love Japan. Going back next winter of 2014 to visit the in-laws and get my Daughters 20th birthday photos done. Its a big thing there when girls turn 20.

As for the comments i don't find them shocking, because you always get a some idiot any where in the world saying crazy stuff. I think most Japanese are embarrassed by what happened in WW2.

• Like 1

I lived in Nagoya and Ichihara Chiba. I love Japan. Going back next winter of 2014 to visit the in-laws and get my Daughters 20th birthday photos done. Its a big thing there when girls turn 20.

As for the comments i don't find them shocking, because you always get a some idiot any where in the world saying crazy stuff. I think most Japanese are embarrassed by what happened in WW2.

It's a big deal for everyone turning 20 there . That's coming of age day .

I hate Nagoya personally . It's always so grey there . Dunno. I just don't like it . I've spent time in Mie though ,and its very rural and quaint ,but I really couldn't deal with everything closing at 7 pm,and the pitch darkness .

No street lights really ,and no internet cafes . It is quite shell shocking ,compared to a big city .

Have you been there recently ?

It's changed a lot since the late 90s .

I haven't been there since the tsunami though . Things are very different since that event,of course ,so I'm behind the times .

My partner is Filipina. She holds Japanese in the lowest regard thanks to stories passed down from her female relatives.

Lets say it how it is. These woman were tied to a bed, often for years on end, and raped repeatedly. How that is justified is beyond belief. If anything it makes the nukes dropped on Japan seem like justice. In fact, if it was up to me, i would have nuked every last Japanese city if it ment that one underage girl wasn't subjected to years of abused.

On a side note, the Japanese prime minister a few years ago offered payment to these woman for their "services" and therefore stating outright that these women were prostitutes. Apart from the most poor, none accepted the money. They were not prostitutes, they were woman who were raped.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

There's a cure for that... and the US military seems to be implementing it.

My partner is Filipina. She holds Japanese in the lowest regard thanks to stories passed down from her female relatives.

Lets say it how it is. These woman were tied to a bed, often for years on end, and raped repeatedly. How that is justified is beyond belief. If anything it makes the nukes dropped on Japan seem like justice. In fact, if it was up to me, i would have nuked every last Japanese city if it ment that one underage girl wasn't subjected to years of abused.

On a side note, the Japanese prime minister a few years ago offered payment to these woman for their "services" and therefore stating outright that these women were prostitutes. Apart from the most poor, none accepted the money. They were not prostitutes, they were woman who were raped.

*sags*

This is a fine line. Trust me. I understand ,but the people who did this,were all military .

Many of these men were following orders ,as the Japanese are trained to do ,and some ,took things into their own hands

All of this was written out of Japanese history books,until the mid 2000s.

Yes,the public had no idea. When it was first introduced in schools there,children went home crying .

They asked their parents how can this be,and their parents had no answers,given they never learned it in school .

My uncle explained to me ,why we dropped the bombs on them ,and if anyone thinks the Americans in the war didnt rape women all over Europe ,Vietnam,Korea ,they are living in fantasy land.

Dropping bombs,that have affects that's last for decades later ,is not the answer .

It just,isn't .....

• Like 2

My uncle explained to me ,why we dropped the bombs on them ,and if anyone thinks the Americans in the war didnt rape women all over Europe ,Vietnam,Korea ,they are living in fantasy land.

Show me where it was institutionalised rape amongst American/Allied forces please.

• Like 2

Show me where it was institutionalised rape amongst American/Allied forces please.

rape is rape // ask any woman you have the pleasure of knowing

• Like 3

Third Eye,

Sir Wearer of Hats can correct me if I misunderstood his post. He meant there were rapes committed by a segment of American/Allied personnel but it wasn't a sanctioned industry operated by or for the military.

I know men who fought in WWII they are very honorable (for the most part) and the thought of brutalizing a woman regardless of the situation would have been disgusting to them. There is always a segment whose violent tendencies toward women will use any opportunity to indulge that dysfunctional aspect of themselves and war makes a perfect excuse. If something like that did happen it's very likely that the others of the squad took care of the man/men in question on the quiet. Soap in socks and a blanket thrown over the person/s in question has a way of making a point.

Mabon.

• Like 4

rape is rape // ask any woman you have the pleasure of knowing

quite right.

However in the Allied army it was a xrime punishable by court martial, in the Japanese one it was a good night out and a way of maintaining morale.

one of these is more abominaale then the other.

• Like 1

quite right.

However in the Allied army it was a xrime punishable by court martial, in the Japanese one it was a good night out and a way of maintaining morale.

Oh yes,American men never ever stormed villages and completely destroyed the places . No ,that never happened .

Given OUR OWN WOMEN ARE RAPED REGULARLY ON AMERICAN MILITARY BASES ,ALL OVER THE MIDDLE EAST,RIGHT NOW ,TODAY ,21ST CENTIRY ,AND OUR DEPT OF DEFENSE COVERS IT UP ,I dare say no one gives a Damn about maybe being court martialed now,let alone while on enemy soil .

Give me a bit,but I will find plenty I am sure

Vietnam

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/03/rape-wartime-vietnam

http://hnn.us/articles/1802.html

WW2

Doooo read this one,its eye opening ,not to mention our guys rape women in Japan ,NOW ...google that .

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2007/09/366078.shtml

I love the line about how Eisenhower had to cover up the 100s of rapes committed by American GIs ,as it was just so embarrassing .

http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=80987

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_war_crimes_during_World_War_II

Korea

http://www.iacenter.org/Koreafiles/ktc-civilnetwork.htm

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-korean-war-the-unknown-war-the-coverup-of-us-war-crimes/23742

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Third Eye,

Sir Wearer of Hats can correct me if I misunderstood his post. He meant there were rapes committed by a segment of American/Allied personnel but it wasn't a sanctioned industry operated by or for the military.

I know men who fought in WWII they are very honorable (for the most part) and the thought of brutalizing a woman regardless of the situation would have been disgusting to them. There is always a segment whose violent tendencies toward women will use any opportunity to indulge that dysfunctional aspect of themselves and war makes a perfect excuse. If something like that did happen it's very likely that the others of the squad took care of the man/men in question on the quiet. Soap in socks and a blanket thrown over the person/s in question has a way of making a point.

Mabon.

quite right.

I understand quite well what everyone meant ... what I meant was let's not cast stones to find out who is in the house of glass ...

28140_10151572629260708_1844577055_n.jpg

~edit : a tired soul makes mistaken quotes ...

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 2

You know... I spent 34 years in the Army... Went all over the world, and I NEVER raped anyone... I never had anyone from any of my units that EVER raped anyone, and any soldiers I ever heard about that were involved in anything LIKE rape were all prosecuted...

Reading all the UM threads about how evil,murderous,stupid and vile we of the US Military are I'm starting to think that maybe I was just an underachiever...

This article was about JAPANESE actions druing WWII... And JAPANESE officials not addressing those actions... What the heck does American actions of the past/present or future have to do with any of this?...

• Like 6

Sorry if my last post came off as a bit "sharp'... I'm having a "not good" day...

• Like 1

Third Eye,

I don't want to be antagonistic since this is an emotional subject. I would never have expected this to be the sentiment expressed in a modern age. Looking back through any countries history there are always aspects that are brutal to the point of history we are at now; so the mayor looking back to WWII from 2013 and not condemning the actions taken by the Japanese Military seems archaic and barbaric. It makes me wonder why he felt it necessary to express these views.

Mabon.

• Like 1