Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Consider All Communications Monitored

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

This is getting scary....

May 14, 2013, 8:48 a.m. EDT

How to stop the FBI from reading your email

Officials can read messages older than 6 months without a warrant

Emails are not private. A message may have one sender and one recipient but it can, with little effort, be read by a third party. In fact, despite the Fourth Amendment’s protections against unlawful searches, federal agencies do not necessarily need a warrant to read emails older than six months.
Concerns over such government snooping were raised by the American Civil Liberties Union, which last week noted a “troubling picture” of email surveillance practices by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Justice. The agencies may be taking advantage of a component of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, which requires warrants only for emails that have been stored on a third-party server for less than 180 days.
Taken from: http://www.marketwat...4?siteid=yhoof2

Also see: http://www.infowars....eing-monitored/

Edited by Kowalski, 14 May 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

They can have our privacy, but they can't have our souls.

#3    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,240 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

don't for even a tiny moment think that your mobile sms texts or mms are 'private' too //

all those hackers caught hacking accounts are just scape goats,
the ones that releases those private intimate photos especially of the famous, into the wild wild web are usually those working in the telcos ...

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a paid-up member of the tin foil hat brigade

• 24,419 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Older than 6 months? I suppose this must be for long term surveillance jobs. Does that mean that if I write an email containing a few choice keywords, like "Obama", "North Korea" and "chorizo", it'll be at least six months before the Feds can flag it up as suspicious? where's the fun in that?

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 14 May 2013 - 04:44 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostMnemonix, on 14 May 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

They can have our privacy, but they can't have our souls.

Don't be so sure - they might get those too eventually

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,799 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

All you got wrong was the date, George.

Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,719 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

well there are pbly billions of e mails gonig around at any given hour, in the world, i don't see how fbi can manage to track, read, and figure what is relavant what is not. i doubt fbi, or entire us gvmnt has manpower to do it.  they can collect billions of terrabites of data, ok, than what?
unless they are looking at someones in particular (and i'm pretty sure, if you are in buissnes where fbi needs to see your e mails, you'll find a way to avoid it). all the data wont do much good to them.
same for sms, mms....

not to mention those that want to comunicate without being traced use shared email account and write drafts, never sending a single e mail out.  general pertreus used that with his mistress, and millions of cheaters in the world do it as well. no emails sent, no trails. and no gvmnt organization has resourses to read every e mail account iin the world.

from leagl pov it conserns me, a "what is next" question pops to mind,  but from practical pov, good luck fbi.

Edited by aztek, 14 May 2013 - 04:53 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,392 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Anything you say on the internet or emails is there forever and it doesn't surprise me that they read them.

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,392 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

View Postaztek, on 14 May 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

well there are pbly billions of e mails gonig around at any given hour, in the world, i don't see how fbi can manage to track, read, and figure what is relavant what is not. i doubt fbi, or entire us gvmnt has manpower to do it.  they can collect billions of terrabites of data, ok, than what?
unless they are looking at someones in particular (and i'm pretty sure, if you are in buissnes where fbi needs to see your e mails, you'll find a way to avoid it). all the data wont do much good to them.
same for sms, mms....

not to mention those that want to comunicate without being traced use shared email account and write drafts, never sending a single e mail out.  general pertreus used that with his mistress, and millions of cheaters in the world do it as well. no emails sent, no trails. and no gvmnt organization has resourses to read every e mail account iin the world.

from leagl pov it conserns me, a "what is next" question pops to mind,  but from practical pov, good luck fbi.
They look for key words and have computers to find this for them and flag it as suspicious.

#10    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,240 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

The point is ... if you ever get in a bind with anything the 'authorities' perceives as 'questionable' they have a trail of months of digital activity associated with you to pull out of the archives ....

You'll be stuck in a room with four walls constantly replying "it was a joke" to questions for hours upon hours ...
if you are fortunate enough to have that privilege to a benefit of a doubt ....

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#11    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

I've been planning on moving to a secure offshore email account for a while now. Guess it's time to pull the trigger on that. It's sad that we have to go out of our way to have privacy online...

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#12    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,719 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostHilander, on 14 May 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

They look for key words and have computers to find this for them and flag it as suspicious.
yea, i've seen that movie too, however, i really doubt that is how it is done in real world.

Edited by aztek, 14 May 2013 - 05:19 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

View Postaztek, on 14 May 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

yea, i've seen that movie too, however, i really doubt that is how it is done in real world.

You would need a helluva lot of processing AND network power to monitor just one countries total email exchange. Just thinking about my company alone and the constant stream of emails being sent just to me, let alone between all the employees, on just a daily basis. That's just one company, in one city. There must be millions, if not billions of emails sent daily across the nation.

Technologically, I personally don't see how this is feasible. To monitor a "person of interest", sure. That's easy. But everyone? I suppose if email server hosts were required by law to monitor their own traffic for certain keywords and flag those users, it would take all the strain off of a single surveillance network.

But that ridiculous, right?

Edited by Dark_Grey, 14 May 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#14    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a paid-up member of the tin foil hat brigade

• 24,419 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

View Postaztek, on 14 May 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

How else could they do it? Have crack teams of Spooks monitoring everything everyone ever says or writes? I saw a list of the keywords they use once; quite amusing, some of them are, and I try to make a point of using as many of them as I can. In fact, I expect there are at least three in this very post. See if you can guess what they are.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#15    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

Another thread sourcing infowars and which belongs in the conspiracy theory section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users