Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Christian teacher in Egypt faces trial

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,421 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

This is the offense.

According to London-based rights watchdog Amnesty International, the complaints arose after some students alleged the teacher in the southern city of Luxor said she “loved Father Shenuda”, the late Coptic Pope Shenuda III.
She was also alleged to have “touched her knee or her stomach when she spoke about the Prophet Mohammed in class,” Amnesty said in a statement that demanded her release.

http://www.rawstory....lting-religion/

Way to strict and touchy.  Disobeying religious law shouldn't get you arrested.

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,803 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

Why is touching one's stomach or knee when speaking of the Prophet Mohammed an issue? Any muslims here have some insight on that?

Edit to add:
Laws need to be secular to protect people from this sort of witch hunting mentality and religious folk need to learn to give others the same rights they expect to have themselves - which is to live their lives as they see fit so long as they are not breaking secular laws of the land and/or hurting others (physically).

Edited by libstaK, 15 May 2013 - 05:04 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,531 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

Its a witch hunt ... and the media is playing advocate ..... its a mess there now ... everyone wants a piece of the heaven/paradise pie

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,421 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

I don't know what the big deal is with touching your stomach or your knee.  Never heard that one before.  Sometimes I think they  make it up as they go along just to have an excuse to arrest someone they don't like.

Egypt is so messed up since the Arab Spring.

Edited by Hilander, 15 May 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#5    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,601 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

We monkey around with these people for two generations and then we wonder why they're clinging to their guns and religion? Americans, really? The southern evangelical conservative christian Americans?   Really? Can we really be so selfish and one-way minded?   I think these statists who insist on a world controlled by Washington DC would be the first to drop their pikes and run at the first sign of trouble after the chickens come back home to roost.

Our foreign policy in the Middle East plus Israel encourages results just like the OP of this thread.   Hundreds of them and then thousands of them.   "Why is this happening to us?" they cry.  "Because we're not following our religion exactly enough!" they're answered.   Fire and brimstone Imams can draw a huge audience when the Middle East region is being tickled, kicked and scraped by foreigners the way it is.   We have reactionary policies that kill people on our target lists and we're too clueless to understand that the reason these people are on our target list is because of our foreign policy.   If causing the problems just to claim credit for solving them, like government bureaucrats always do, is the game we're playing here then this is a very good racket.   Going to war against a foreign religion is a surest sign of a dying Republic, but it greases the golden parachutes of its protagonists with the blood of others.

Edited by Yamato, 15 May 2013 - 03:31 PM.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#6    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

It's sad that radical Islamists seem to have no faith in their religion. If they did they would know their religion is strong enough to survive a few "insults". They might also clue in that the only ones attacking Islam is them.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#7    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,629 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Never mind.

Edited by Sweetpumper, 15 May 2013 - 04:04 PM.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#8    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,142 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostCorp, on 15 May 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

It's sad that radical Islamists seem to have no faith in their religion. If they did they would know their religion is strong enough to survive a few "insults". They might also clue in that the only ones attacking Islam is them.

http://en.wikipedia....tive_narcissism

Christianity is also.

Drunk with blood..
Dangerous cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,775 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 15 May 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Freud?  :w00t:   Guess I'd better rethink my faith if HE thinks it's a bad idea.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#10    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,531 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Maybe this is coming back to haunt us all :

Amalric supposedly answered (in French): “Kill them all. God will recognize his own.”

link

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

#11    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,421 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 15 May 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Maybe this is coming back to haunt us all :

link
Glad Christians don't do stuff like that now and if they did they would be arrested.  Now if Islam would grow up and stop killing people over Islam.

#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,421 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 15 May 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I agree religions do seem to have a inflated view of their ingroup.  That's fine as long as its not being shoved down my throat or I'm being arrested because I think they are wrong and don't want to practice what they preach.

#13    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,531 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostHilander, on 15 May 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

Glad Christians don't do stuff like that now and if they did they would be arrested.  Now if Islam would grow up and stop killing people over Islam.

You didn't read the linked page ...

~edit : Oh I get it now ... sorry ... I'm half sober and half asleep

apologies

Edited by third_eye, 15 May 2013 - 10:29 PM.

'

#14    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,421 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 15 May 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

You didn't read the linked page ...

~edit : Oh I get it now ... sorry ... I'm half sober and half asleep

apologies
That's okay, I do the same thing.

#15    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,421 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostYamato, on 15 May 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

We monkey around with these people for two generations and then we wonder why they're clinging to their guns and religion? Americans, really? The southern evangelical conservative christian Americans?   Really? Can we really be so selfish and one-way minded?   I think these statists who insist on a world controlled by Washington DC would be the first to drop their pikes and run at the first sign of trouble after the chickens come back home to roost.

Our foreign policy in the Middle East plus Israel encourages results just like the OP of this thread.   Hundreds of them and then thousands of them.   "Why is this happening to us?" they cry.  "Because we're not following our religion exactly enough!" they're answered.   Fire and brimstone Imams can draw a huge audience when the Middle East region is being tickled, kicked and scraped by foreigners the way it is.   We have reactionary policies that kill people on our target lists and we're too clueless to understand that the reason these people are on our target list is because of our foreign policy.   If causing the problems just to claim credit for solving them, like government bureaucrats always do, is the game we're playing here then this is a very good racket.   Going to war against a foreign religion is a surest sign of a dying Republic, but it greases the golden parachutes of its protagonists with the blood of others.
So your saying its the US and Israels fault Islamist will arrest you or kill you for doing anything against Islam.  I thought that was just Islamic law.

I agree our foreign policy for the middle east isn't great but you can't blame their barbaric laws on anyone but them.

Edited by Hilander, 15 May 2013 - 11:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users