Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Durham University branded 'a disgrace'

picasso warhol paintings gallery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

A top university has been criticised by students for spending £1.4m on famous artwork while raking in £9,000 tuition fees and paying staff less than the living wage.

Durham University spent the money while kitting out their new £50m Palatine Centre with works by Picasso and Andy Warhol.

The building, which opened in October last year, now features a collection of work by 20th Century greats and pieces by north-east artists.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,455 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

why??  Durham is internationally renowned for its Scientific courses.!!

I suspect that the Dean came through the Classics courses (i.e. Useless) and fancied some pointless works of art over buying some original Tesla, Edison, Trevithick, works.

Where is the oversight in this?

#3    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 15 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

why??  Durham is internationally renowned for its Scientific courses.!!

Don't kid yourself. Sure the reputation's good but their treatment of us students and general attitude is atrocious.

It's the downside of this 'research led teaching'. In other words, the lecturers are at the top of their field and put their research above anything else.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Also tagged with picasso, warhol, paintings, gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users