Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Kepler Suffers Malfunction

kepler exoplanets nasa

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Why did NASA invest 500 to 600 million for the Kepler telescope which would only last up to 3.5 years?  I guess the military industrial complex willingly looks for ways to keep sucking up the tax payers money. With that kind of money invested, it should be lasting a good 20 yrs. plus.  Could this have initially been planned some 3.5 years ago, in hopes that NASA during these economically harsh times could once again extend their hands out for another 600 million?

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#17    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

View PostNiteMarcher, on 31 May 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

Why did NASA invest 500 to 600 million for the Kepler telescope which would only last up to 3.5 years?
Because that's how much missions like this cost. You can't just buy space telescopes off the shelf. They take years of planning, designing and building. Each component has to be individually made and tested.

The $500-600 million compares well with other high-tech projects when you consider that the price includes design, development, manufacture, launch costs ($51 million alone), operational costs and the costs of the data processing. Compare that to the B2 stealth bomber which has cost total programme cost of $2.13 billion per aircraft {Source: wiki)

I guess the military industrial complex willingly looks for ways to keep sucking up the tax payers money.
Keep guessing, you might get something right eventually,

With that kind of money invested, it should be lasting a good 20 yrs. plus.
Care to enlighten us with your evidence to support this or is it just another guess?

Could this have initially been planned some 3.5 years ago, in hopes that NASA during these economically harsh times could once again extend their hands out for another 600 million?
This doesn't even qualify as a guess, it's just nonsensical drivel.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 31 May 2013 - 01:49 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#18    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 31 May 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

Because that's how much missions like this cost. You can't just buy space telescopes off the shelf. They take years of planning, designing and building. Each component has to be individually made and tested.

The $500-600 million compares well with other high-tech projects when you consider that the price includes design, development, manufacture, launch costs ($51 million alone), operational costs and the costs of the data processing. Compare that to the B2 stealth bomber which has cost total programme cost of $2.13 billion per aircraft {Source: wiki)

Keep guessing, you might get something right eventually,

Care to enlighten us with your evidence to support this or is it just another guess?

This doesn't even qualify as a guess, it's just nonsensical drivel.

I really don't think wasting tax payer's money should be considered as nonsensical drivel....when infrastructure such as highways, school buildings, etc. throughout the entire US is slowly falling to pieces under our feet. We have Social programs for the elderly, for children at risk etc.  We need to take care of what's going on back here on our own soil with tax payer's money...not take care of what's going on in outer space...this is reality!

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#19    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostNiteMarcher, on 01 June 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

I really don't think wasting tax payer's money should be considered as nonsensical drivel....when infrastructure such as highways, school buildings, etc. throughout the entire US is slowly falling to pieces under our feet. We have Social programs for the elderly, for children at risk etc.  We need to take care of what's going on back here on our own soil with tax payer's money...not take care of what's going on in outer space...this is reality!

If you consider science and exploration a waste of money then fine, start a topic on it rather than taking this one off topic.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

Also tagged with kepler, exoplanets, nasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users