Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

I've been knocked back from 450 jobs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

A job-hunter claims he has been left unemployable because he is covered in tattoos.

Yusuf Hameed, 40, has been knocked back from dozens of jobs over the last year because of his unconventional appearance.

His body art includes a Buddhism symbol on his forehead, two Thai boxing tattoos on the back of his head, and a yin yang on the back of his head.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,621 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

While I do empathize with him in some ways, the real world is not accepting of anything, especially tattoos.
The harsh reality is that we are judged by our appearance each and every day, all day long and when you go for interviews, those sorts of tattoos are going to attract attention.

I understand his plight in that he is well qualified to do the jobs he has applied for but if you are going to apply for an office job then sadly those same tattoos are going to be a stumbling block. He has few choices except to either have them removed or cover them somehow.

I feel for the man but sadly tattoos are just not acceptable in the workplace these days.

#3    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,283 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I was expecting a lot worse before I saw his photo.  He only has a few tattoos.   He could be a car mechanic or a sales clerk at a record store.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#4    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,104 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

Sorry, but I have very little sympathy with this sort of thing. Every day  I see young people with facial tattoos, ear stretchers & nose & facial piercings and the first thing I think is 'okay you're making a statement about your individuality, but did you stop to consider that you've severely limited your chances in the job market.'
I've yet to see an attractive tattoo. I know that people shouldn't be judged on appearance but the fact of the matter is they are.
At the end of the day your appearance sends a message & it's a message employers do not want to send.

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 17 May 2013 - 10:25 PM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#5    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,621 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

I agree. There is a time and place for lots of things but when it comes to jobs and interviews, those sorts of things need to be left at home.
It is no different than a child being told that 'No they cannot wear their mickey mouse pajamas to school' or telling your kid that a halter-top and ultra short shorts are not acceptable garb for school or college.

We all have restrictions placed on us depending on where we are..it's life and it is also very necessary too.

#6    William Walker

William Walker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

View Postxsas, on 17 May 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Here is a idea don't be a numnut and get loads of stupid tattoos.

#7    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

lol hell ive delt with this kinda bs all my life like my jr year of high school that summer i got my first ink  and i was proud of itthat whole transfurence from a teen to manhood  only did i realy under stand later on in life it wasnt what defined me as who i am today now many years later  since that first ink i have  2 full sleeves and a1/2 back several blow outs and a lot of scare cover ups
but still it doesnt change me for who i am only what others think i might be ..i did my 5 years in college got my masters was in the armed forces  got the office /public job after life tossed a bad hair ball i lost my self driveing truck cross country only to end up back finding my self where i once started being me for my self  my ink i wear only tells part of my life story from one page to the next
but ashamed 'im not my ink defines me as only me  unlike every one else there for i do stand out in a croud i am my self and no one else is me

#8    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,665 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

I really like his tattoos, but his beard on the other hand, ugh it just does not suit him.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#9    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

I can't believe we live in such a judgamental society.
But maybe he should just get rid of his tattoos. his beard isn't a problem, loads of muslims have those beards and they get work

#10    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postxsas, on 17 May 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

If someone has facial tatoos then they should be applying for jobs where they'll have no face-2-face contact with customers like in a warehouse or an office. I dont think thats his problem.

I think its that he looks like Charles Manson causing people to make negative judgements about his character.

#11    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,104 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

View Postali smack, on 18 May 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

I can't believe we live in such a judgamental society.
But maybe he should just get rid of his tattoos. his beard isn't a problem, loads of muslims have those beards and they get work

But we do, & because of his tattoos it's now his problem. All bodily adornment, piercings, tattoos etc are just another aspect of fashion & as we all know, fashions change.
He may have thought that facial tattoos were cool when he was 19 or 20 but when you start entering your 'golden years' they just look ...well...chav.

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 18 May 2013 - 04:21 PM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#12    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,516 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

weird thing is, this guy lives in my home town, he lives where I live, and, noticeable as he may claim to be, i've never seen him before in my life!
and it's a VERY small town.....

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
b¡t¢h due to your lack of understanding.

#13    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,981 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

I think at this point, this fella needs to create his own job within the area that his tatoos represent.
With the potential for hyperinflation, no one is going to be buy new, to be buying big. So creating a job for yourself, including food and service industries, may well the the direction this world is going to take, as less and less people use Wal-marts and Targets. In fact, Wal-mart is wondering where all their customers are, I heard. So basically, even creating a local for-profit thrift shop is a really great idea. Let go the need to be rich, the need to have insurance, or find an insurance group that is for the individual, and start your own business. Get a jump on the world that is taking a really crazy, neuro-leptic economic direction.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#14    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

I think it's the beard! :w00t:

Edit:

View Postshrooma, on 18 May 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

weird thing is, this guy lives in my home town, he lives where I live, and, noticeable as he may claim to be, i've never seen him before in my life!
and it's a VERY small town.....
Haha that's interesting. Why don't you find him and help a brother out?!

Edit 2: 'it has a population of 49,448 (including Birstall)' - from Wiki. Is that accurate? If so, town ain't 'VERY small'.

This is a very small town: :whistle: Can't image there'd be 450 jobs to apply for in Moneta though...
Posted Image

Edited by Timonthy, 19 May 2013 - 01:41 AM.

Posted Image

#15    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

It's not just his tattoos, it's also his age. The work market today is the epitome of apartheid: everything counts. Even if you had facial tattoos, it wouldn't be a problem in some places if they looked cooler but his looks just like some scribbling even if it's a holy art. Piercings, tattoos and age dont have to mean you dont get a job, all them combined can make things more difficult than having just one of those, but they still wouldn't prevent it so much if he could portray them in a cooler manner, with more street credibility.

I think the first and foremost main reason is his age: the older you are past 40, the less likely you land a job, especially one which is more physical than an office job. The second heaviest reason is him not coming across as cool guy, it's a heavy reason in interviews. Those tattoos come third, the way they are contributes nicely to the second reason but he could still migitate it with attitute and clothes, a bit. Working history may also contribute alot... it's not so easy if you've been unemployed a longer period. Even if you wouldn't had been, but it doesn't make it any easier if you have been.

Starting your own business can be a real hell... if this guy had some internet skills I could offer him to partner up with me and give him a cut of my future profits but I doubt it due to his age. Meh..

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users