Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mom Runs Down Daughter's Kidnapper

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 18 May 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

More interesting, and less misleading, something along the lines of "Man attempting kidnapping meets mother attempting manslaughter!"
how on earth is 'man attempting kidnapping meets mother attempting manslaughter' more interesting than 'mom runs down daughters kidnapper'??
I mean, yours sounds like two strange people going for a coffee, or an ad for the worst internet dating site ever, while the OP's sounds like a mother meting out righteous & vengeful justice!
yours would only be interesting to wearers of beige underwear, or people who write down the numbers of passing trains, or someone with no discernable pulse.....

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#17    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

If you like.

I was complaining about the headline leading to people assuming the mother ran over the daughter (and indirectly implying that people should actually read articles prior to commenting on them), apparently due to nothing more than the standard sensationalism.  Well, it seems that that they certainly know their audience, because your primary complaint against my suggestion is that it isn't exciting enough.  No surprise there.  After all, it wasn't meant to be.  It was, in fact, precisely what I was complaining about.

Personally, I find the story of a mother chasing down her daughter's kidnapper, forcing him off the road, and then following his car off the road and ramming his vehicle on top of that, to be quite exciting in and of itself.  You, apparently, prefer an interpretion with a mother channeling Steven Seagal.  To each their own; I won't argue the point with you.

While I freely admit that I am not experienced in the art of writing witty headlines, I still find the story of a fish poacher titled "Fisherman Caught, Fined, Released", to be far more clever than something about fish serial murder, or another of an alleged murderer titled "Man Accused of Killing Lawyer Receives New Attorney" to be far more ironically descriptive, yet still worth both a chuckle and read-through of an article that I would probably have otherwise skipped over.  There is often a false division between something being both clever and descriptive.  Perhaps that is because most people prefer something much less challenging to process, something a bit more blatant or misleading, even if the purpose is less to get people to read the actual story, and more to just get them to comment, often without even feeling the need to familiarize themselves with what they are commenting about.

#18    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

that's the thing aquatus, the headline WASN'T misleading, not in the slightest, as i'd READ THE ARTICLE, so knew exacty what had gone on. what I DID do was use a PLAY ON WORDS of the headline to illustrate a point.
and I thought I was pedantic.....!

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#19    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

If you like.  As I said, I am not going to argue about your preferences, particularly if you are going to continue to refer to mine as "like two strange people going for a coffee", "an ad for the worst internet dating site ever", "interesting to wearers of beige underwear, or people who write down the numbers of passing trains, or someone with no discernable pulse".  My preferences are not a bad movie, nor are you a movie critic.

And, since on a more personal basis you believe that I myself am "pedantic", I don't see any reason to continue asking my opinion on the matter either.

#20    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:23 AM

... what's wrong with beige underwear? :unsure2:  ...

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users