Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Minoan civilization was made in Europe

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,649 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

That's what I like to do to solve the puzzles, some call it lego-linguistics, whatever, I don't see them coming up with any alternatives...

Remind me of people who whine about everything and when you say "well what do you think could be a solution?" they say "I dunno...".

Atlas is a good example and I've followed enough words to see the pattern. When a words etymology is unknown, the language it originated in remains unknown. If the etymology can be figured out, it's likely the parent language will become known. I can make what I like out of Atlas and it's no better or worse than anyone else can do.

The etymology of the name Atlas is uncertain and still debated. Virgil took pleasure in translating etymologies of Greek names by combining them with adjectives that explained them: for Atlas his adjective is durus, "hard, enduring",[6] which suggested to George Doig[7] that Virgil was aware of the Greek τλήναι "to endure"; Doig offers the further possibility that Virgil was aware of Strabo's remark that the native North African name for this mountain was Douris. Since the Atlas mountains rise in the region inhabited by Berbers, it has been suggested that the name might be taken from one of the Berber languages, specifically adrar, Berber for "mountain".[8]
Some modern linguists derive it and its Greek root from the Proto-Indo-European root *tel, 'to uphold, support'; others[citation needed] suggest that it is an Indo-European name. Others hold it is non-Indo-European, or Pelasgian in origin, associated with the word "thalassa", meaning "sea".

http://en.wikipedia....tlas_(mythology)

Edited by The Puzzler, 20 May 2013 - 08:38 AM.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#47    Echosignal

Echosignal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hello everyone!

There is an ancient Greek myth about ''Kourites'' (Κουρήτες). Kourites were the first inhabitants of Crete. Heracles (not the known demigod), Epimedes, Peonios, Iasios and Idas. It is speculated that ''Kourites'' is the origin of the word Crete. ''Crete'' in Greek, is (Κρήτη) Kriti.
Kourites = Krites (Cretans - the residents of Crete) = Kriti. It makes sense, but then again it is just a speculation as I previously mentioned.

Here is a link with some info about them http://www.crete-kre...protectors-zeus

Edited by Echosignal, 22 May 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#48    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,270 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

One says, "I dunno" when one doesn't know and when the evidence strikes one as unconvincing and just guesswork.

The threshold between accepting something as true and seeing it as only an interesting possibility is subtle and is going to be different for each person.  Since I have childhood knowledge of several languages, I am well aware of the phenomenon of "false friends," words that indicate they mean one thing but in fact don't -- linguistic similarities that can lead one all over the place and achieve nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users