Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Material needs and Spiritualism?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:46 AM

Sooner or later someone or more is/are going to be obscenely rich multi-millionaires. Maybe tomorrow night. Or maybe next Wednesday night.

Do material need/greed and spiritualism mutually exclusive or can they co-exist in a person's mind?

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,764 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 18 May 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

Sooner or later someone or more is/are going to be obscenely rich multi-millionaires. Maybe tomorrow night. Or maybe next Wednesday night.

Do material need/greed and spiritualism mutually exclusive or can they co-exist in a person's mind?
Excellent question.  I believe they can coexist up to a point.  That is, need and spirituality -NOT greed and spirituality.  Focusing totally on what wealth can be and do for an individual is just a way of taking God out of the equation - not good imo.  But using such a windfall to secure needs - not only for oneself but also for the friends, family and community at large is easily compatible with spirituality.  BTW, I play the lotto and hope to win.  If I do then no one at UM will ever hear of me again ;)
Just kidding - I'd still come around.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

Filthy lucre corrupts one spiritually.  Clean it up.  This isn't hard with gold and coins, but paper money is hopeless.

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,332 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Send me some cash and I'll give it a try.

I think you can have wealth and be spiritual, but greed is kind of an obsessive thing. I would say greed would block an spiritual path. You have to be able to focus on the inner self to walk a spiritual path and if you are too focused on material things then you can't focus on the spiritual.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#5    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Was punk rock a form of spiritualism? It seemed to reject the profit motive and even held suspicious the corporate world.

#6    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

"I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." - Jeshua ben Jospeh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users