Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

EU To Ban Olive Oil Bottles From Restaurants

olive oil jugs bottles restaurants dipping bowls

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 5,685 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

"We are just making clear that when you want to have olive oil of a certain quality in a restaurant, you get exactly the one you are paying for," Mr Bailly said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those who expect the olive oil of a certain quality, will normally know  the difference.
And if there is a bottle of olive oil on the table, I do not expect to pay extra for it!
So what is this all about? Wickian has mentioned it.
I do agree that the bottles should be labled and if the owner has made their own, then it should say so, then it is down to the consumer to decide if its naff or not and complain if it is to the correct people.
But banning? thats just big brother trying to control everything and everyone....again!
I would rather they concentrate on trying to help small businesses by reducing the amount of taxes they charge them, instead of trying to fine them. Maybe there would be no need to cut corners then.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#17    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 6,953 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Poststevewinn, on 19 May 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

you have no room to talk, a yank preaching about the quality of food. home of the bouncing cheese etc... say no more.

"Michelangelo's famous statue, David, returns to Italy this week after a successful 12 week, 20 city tour in the United States of America."

Attached File  David.jpg   95.63K   9 downloads

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#18    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 7,942 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 19 May 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

"Michelangelo's famous statue, David, returns to Italy this week after a successful 12 week, 20 city tour in the United States of America."

Attachment David.jpg

brilliant, :clap: :nw:

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#19    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,480 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 19 May 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

If I recall right, you are producing your own olive oil? Man, I'm jealous! :yes:

Yep, and all that I consider below quality gets pressed again and sold as "extra virgin" elsewhere. No wonder they need laws.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#20    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

They can still refill the bottles once empty. Restaurants have been doing that with ketchup for years.

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,480 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostMichelle, on 19 May 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

They can still refill the bottles once empty. Restaurants have been doing that with ketchup for years.

a little difficult with the bottle caps required by law in Europe:

Posted Image

But yes, there are still very inventive people out there....

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#22    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

We have those little pop out plastic pieces on some of our bottles too. I buy certain things by the gallon and keep the jugs in the spare fridge. I refil the smaller bottles to keep in the kitchen.

#23    AlasBabylon

AlasBabylon

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 18 May 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

Dare I suggest that this bill was passed at the behest of someone who has a lot of money invested in commercial olive oil?

lol

Sounds like something out of "The Godfather"

#24    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 7,942 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 19 May 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

a little difficult with the bottle caps required by law in Europe:

But yes, there are still very inventive people out there....

while Rome burns literally the EU are more concerned with bottle tops and yet more imposed laws. costing even more money to enforce the new laws. all this in a time of high unemployment across the euro area, and youth unemployment at a record high. never mind times of austerity. - when is the EU going to get its act together? because the last time i checked there wasnt crisis of people concerned with olive oil. the way the EU as dealt with the situation passing LAWS you'd think restaurants were serving engine oil.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#25    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,480 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 19 May 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

while Rome burns literally the EU are more concerned with bottle tops and yet more imposed laws. costing even more money to enforce the new laws. all this in a time of high unemployment across the euro area, and youth unemployment at a record high. never mind times of austerity. - when is the EU going to get its act together? because the last time i checked there wasnt crisis of people concerned with olive oil. the way the EU as dealt with the situation passing LAWS you'd think restaurants were serving engine oil.

I looks like Rome burns from your side of the channel, mostly because that way you can avoid sweeping in front of your own door.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users