Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

'Crazy' ants driving out fire ants

crazy ants fire ants

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

View Posthighdesert50, on 19 May 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

Learn to adapt. They vastly outnumber us ... thousands per square meter on average. Insects will probably still be here long after us unless, of course, we adapt to eating them.

Animals have been eating them since they crawled out on land.  They still rule the world.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#17    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,090 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

When I was a kid in Florida I was messing around with a fire ant mound.

Bad mistake. They attack and hurt. Duh!!!!!!!!

Never had an encounter with these so-called "crazy ants", that I know of.

#18    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,773 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

If you can't Beat'em...Eat'em :w00t:

Edited by Hawkin, 20 May 2013 - 06:09 AM.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve.
But to much skepticism can make you narrow minded to extraordinary possibilities.

#19    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,090 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

Roasted with a slather of chocolate? OK, that could work.

Yuk.  :cry:

#20    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

These crazy ants are a potent problem with one entomologist's take I read calling them impossible to stop. They just climb over their dead comrades and continue on.
They ruin pool motors, which has me worried. Take my toaster or even my A/C, do NOT take my pool. It's southernTexas for heat sake!
I thought I found some in our backyard last summer, but we haven't suffered from them, so I'll have to learn to identify them better. We live where they were first discovered in the U.S.
We don't mind our fire ants. As someone said, you just avoid their mounds and you're okay. But we don't have any children running around our yard either.
And I believe they are why our pets have no fleas.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 20 May 2013 - 10:58 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#21    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Makes me more fond of the fire ants in my front yard. Y'all can stay as refugees now.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#22    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

I may have some of these. When I make coffee I have to immediately unplug the coffee maker and move it when I'm done, otherwise ants show up out of nowhere and get all over it.

Great.

We may have created these ants ourselves with our insecticides, much like penicillin made different kinds of bugs evolve to be more resilient. Now these ants don't eat the same poisons as fire ants... or maybe they eat them and say "Yummm!" (in a tiny ant voice).

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#23    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 20 May 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

I may have some of these. When I make coffee I have to immediately unplug the coffee maker and move it when I'm done, otherwise ants show up out of nowhere and get all over it.

Great.

We may have created these ants ourselves with our insecticides, much like penicillin made different kinds of bugs evolve to be more resilient. Now these ants don't eat the same poisons as fire ants... or maybe they eat them and say "Yummm!" (in a tiny ant voice).

Interesting...the other day we had a cup of water on the night stand...there were all of these ants...in the water...it was one of those hard plastic cups with the permanent straw.   there were no other ants anywhere else...not on the nightstand...not on the curtains, or the floor...could this be the beginning of crazy ants?

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#24    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 20 May 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Great.

The little tiny black ants are called suger ants they are harmless.  Only the warriors can make you know they are there.

We created the killer bees.

Edited by danielost, 16 July 2013 - 03:49 AM.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users