Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hofstra student killed by police

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostThanato, on 22 May 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

The officer was presented with an impossible situation. Attempt to save the life of the woman or potentially lose his and hers. He made his choice. Unfortinatlly hand guns are not that accurate at range. It is sad and unfortunate that this happened. However I firmly believe that the officer did what he could given the situation.

Had he retreated and waited for back up, who's to say that man wouldn't start killing people. Who's to say that young woman would be alive today. Police are faced with impossible decisions every day, some decisions end badly but to second guess those decisions in situations similar to this, is counter productive. What needs to be done is to re-asses the steps that lead up to this whole incident taking place. Which was for the parole board releasing a dangerous individual onto the streets.

I don't mean to say however that police are infallible, as we all know this is not the case and every force has it's share of bad apples, however in this situation I believe the officer was in the right to discharge the firearm when the suspect pointed the weapon at him.

~Thanato

That's what he's supposed to do (above in bold).  What he did was panic and start popping off.

Look, I'm not calling for the cop to be arrested or thrown in jail.  I'm also not going to accept people justifying his misconduct just because he's a police officer.  The guy who shot and killed the teenage intruder was crucified here because he killed him (and was completely legal), whereas everyone is trying to give this officer a pass because he was in a 'difficult decision'.

He messed up, and a criminal and a victim are dead from it.

#17    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,500 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Why shouldn't the cop be arrested?  He killed someone 'accidently'.  I think that calls for a real investigation, not a hidden from the public internal affairs one.

#18    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

View Postsupervike, on 22 May 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Why shouldn't the cop be arrested?  He killed someone 'accidently'.  I think that calls for a real investigation, not a hidden from the public internal affairs one.

I agree, it should be reviewed.  I just don't want to make the accusation of criminality until more facts come out.  I also don't want a 'free pass' granted to this man just because he's a police officer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users