Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Merged -Tornados Rip Through Midwest

weather tornado

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#16    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,218 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostKowalski, on 21 May 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Taken from http://news.yahoo.co...-205548879.html

Wow. Just wow. The devastation is terrible. My heart and prayers go out to everyone affected by this.

Also, did the school not have a storm cellar? You would think for schools in "tornado alley" they would have a storm cellar for students and teachers....

Only there where people are willing to pay taxes, everywhere else: where are they going to get the money from?

That said: my feelings go out to all those who suffered a damage.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostTaun, on 21 May 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Few houses here in Oklahoma have basements - I am told that the soil (largely red clay) is not suitable for them as water leakage is high... Many people however have put in small tornado shelters...

I have always disagreed with the no basement situation, but builders here are pretty adamant against them for structural/water damage reasons...
Some of the houses have basements. If the builders can build concrete foundations, then they could build a concrete basement.
The tornatoes are not new, everyone know thats, what is new is the amount of new homes being build. Anyone building a home in that area know the risks, and it down to the people to tell the builder to put a basement in.
If the builders can build a home quickly and use cheaper materials, then they will, again this is not news! But it seems there are people who will take their chances on a cheaper built home, wonder if they can actually get insurance? Does anyone know?
On the news today one of the guys was saying there are many more homes now than before, makes you wonder why some of these people do not have their houses protected, by having basements. Did they not see what happened in 1999?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

We are discussing this on the other thread.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#19    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,322 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

Such a shame for the good people of Moore. :cry:   A good friend of mine lives close to there, but escaped any harm.

91 dead rather puts Boston into perspective in some weird way.

#20    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 21 May 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Such a shame for the good people of Moore. :cry:   A good friend of mine lives close to there, but escaped any harm.

91 dead rather puts Boston into perspective in some weird way.
It shows or rather...is a reminder, that nature is far more dangerous than anything else on this planet. Man may one day wipe himself out, but we can never wipe out the forces of nature, but the forces of nature can wipe us out and quite easily too.

#21    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,318 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Merged topics.

My heart goes out to the people of Moore and all of the Midwest affected by the tornado(s).

iheartsugarbear

#22    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,325 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Today the storms are headed my way.  Don't think, hope, they will be as deadly as they were there.  We have had our share.  Feel sorry for the people that have lost their homes and lives because of it.

#23    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,325 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

51 dead and 20 children among them.  So sad.

20 children among at least 51 left dead by Okla. tornado

#24    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,318 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostHilander, on 21 May 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Today the storms are headed my way.  Don't think, hope, they will be as deadly as they were there.  We have had our share.  Feel sorry for the people that have lost their homes and lives because of it.

Stay safe Hilander. I've got friends out there who I'm concerned about too

iheartsugarbear

#25    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Witnesses describe deadly Oklahoma tornado: ‘All you could hear were screams’

http://news.yahoo.co...-111345116.html

#26    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostHilander, on 21 May 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Cricky, I truly hope you are safe.

Same to DOTNM, hope your friends are safe.

#27    BFB

BFB

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

My thoughts goes out to everyone who lives in Oklahoma.

Doug keep safe!!

"Its not true, before my brain says so" - BFB

#28    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

President Obama declared several Oklahoma counties disaster areas and pledged to support the area's rescue and recovery.

============================

And I should think so too ! Not sure if he needed to declare them disaster areas, the pictures and video footage show the devastation and seriousness of the situation.
Has he got his ass there yet?

#29    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,382 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostTaun, on 21 May 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Few houses here in Oklahoma have basements - I am told that the soil (largely red clay) is not suitable for them as water leakage is high... Many people however have put in small tornado shelters...

I have always disagreed with the no basement situation, but builders here are pretty adamant against them for structural/water damage reasons...
We are building an in-law suite for my father in law who is 86.  It is the inside of a big metal building and we decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and make it a concrete storm shelter as well.  Hurricanes here every few years....  but the price of a modest little one bed one bath apartment for him DOUBLED to make it storm proof.  They are about to pour the concrete any day.  But as Taun said, some soils you just cannot put a basement in.  Water table is too high here.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#30    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,345 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

This is a pic of a hailstone from the edge of this same storm...

Posted Image

Also tagged with weather, tornado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users