Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Merged -Tornados Rip Through Midwest

weather tornado

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#91    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,388 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostTaun, on 02 June 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

(glad you made it through Doug)
Had a garden-variety thunderstorm up here last night.  TORCON4 warning for this afternoon and tomorrow.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#92    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

View Postlightly, on 04 June 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

Wow Taun! and kittykat ! Glad your both ok.   ( great news   .. and sort of funny that everything was fine at home when ya got back )

It wasn't quite as funny at the time... <_<
:)

@Doug... Yeah some nice thunder-boomers early this morning, and some heavy rain - like we need more of it right? I think they said we are about 10" (25 cm) over our normal yearly amount of rainfall so far...

Edited by Taun, 04 June 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#93    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostTaun, on 04 June 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

It wasn't quite as funny at the time... <_<
:)

@Doug... Yeah some nice thunder-boomers early this morning, and some heavy rain - like we need more of it right? I think they said we are about 10" (25 cm) over our normal yearly amount of rainfall so far...

Isn't that kind of a good thing though? I mean, after last years drought, and some areas are still considered in drought.. Isn't the extra rain a good thing? Or is it more like the crops are already getting set in and heavy rain now is a bad thing?

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#94    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,388 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

View Postrashore, on 04 June 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Isn't that kind of a good thing though? I mean, after last years drought, and some areas are still considered in drought.. Isn't the extra rain a good thing? Or is it more like the crops are already getting set in and heavy rain now is a bad thing?
Western Oklahoma is still a little below average.  Here and east are above.  Some smaller reservoirs are full up, but most are still well below capacity.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#95    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

View Postrashore, on 04 June 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

One thing I noticed about farmers, they are never happy with the weather... I think right now the rain is interfering with the harvest of some crops, and wheat is highly susceptable to being "beaten down" by heavy rain... Not to mention mold on the grain if it is harvested and not dried properly...

#96    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thank you Doug and Taun... That's what I was wondering.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#97    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,410 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

I saw this when I was checking my local weather.

El Reno Tornado Rated EF5, Widest on Record
http://www.weather.c...130601?pageno=1

"The National Weather Service in Norman, Okla. has upgraded the May 31 tornado near El Reno, Okla. to an EF5.  In addition, the width of the tornado has been given a "conservative" estimate of 2.6 miles. This is a new record for the widest tornado in history, beating the previous record of 2.5 miles near Hallam, Neb. on May 22, 2004.

The El Reno tornado is the same one that killed three storm chasers on Friday and injured the crew of our own Tornado Hunt team.

This is the second EF5 rated tornado in Oklahoma in a matter of weeks. An EF5 tornado devastated nearby Moore, Okla. on May 20, 2013."

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#98    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 05 June 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

I saw this when I was checking my local weather.

El Reno Tornado Rated EF5, Widest on Record
http://www.weather.c...130601?pageno=1

"The National Weather Service in Norman, Okla. has upgraded the May 31 tornado near El Reno, Okla. to an EF5.  In addition, the width of the tornado has been given a "conservative" estimate of 2.6 miles. This is a new record for the widest tornado in history, beating the previous record of 2.5 miles near Hallam, Neb. on May 22, 2004.

The El Reno tornado is the same one that killed three storm chasers on Friday and injured the crew of our own Tornado Hunt team.

This is the second EF5 rated tornado in Oklahoma in a matter of weeks. An EF5 tornado devastated nearby Moore, Okla. on May 20, 2013."

That's the one that was headed straight for my place, when I "bugged out" in my story earlier...  My main gripe is that the weathercasters never announced that it had lowered in intensity, and actually went back up into the clouds - so tens of thousands of people were still jamming the city streets (myself included)... Had I known that it had gone back up I would have stayed put (and not gotten so wet, cold and battered by hail)....

#99    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,286 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostTaun, on 05 June 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

That's the one that was headed straight for my place, when I "bugged out" in my story earlier...  My main gripe is that the weathercasters never announced that it had lowered in intensity, and actually went back up into the clouds - so tens of thousands of people were still jamming the city streets (myself included)... Had I known that it had gone back up I would have stayed put (and not gotten so wet, cold and battered by hail)....

they thought there could've been a slight chance it might come back down again maybe >?

Posted Image

:tu: and smelling of roses ....

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#100    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 05 June 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

they thought there could've been a slight chance it might come back down again maybe >?

Posted Image

:tu: and smelling of roses ....

~

Thinking back on it, I think they just got so swamped with the other storms that kept cropping up (several at the same time) that they didn't want to spend time on one that was no longer a major threat... But there could be something to what you wrote as well...

(like your diamond pic :tu:  - though my favorite "Stress" quote is the OTHER Law of Thermodynamics: "Things get worse under pressure.")

#101    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,286 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostTaun, on 05 June 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

~snip

(like your diamond pic :tu:  - though my favorite "Stress" quote is the OTHER Law of Thermodynamics: "Things get worse under pressure.")

you'll like this too ...

Posted Image

keep aiming ... :yes:

Edited by third_eye, 05 June 2013 - 02:17 PM.

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#102    Taun

Taun

• 7,570 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Oklahoma TV weatherman vilified for tornado advice

By Alice Mannette
(Reuters) - An award-winning Oklahoma television meteorologist has been criticized as "irresponsible"
for telling viewers on Friday to get in their cars and flee approaching tornadoes, and some are blaming
him for putting people in grave danger on clogged roads.

Mike Morgan, chief meteorologist for Oklahoma City television station KFOR, told viewers during a tornado
warning to get in their cars and drive away from a threatened storm.

Some people said they followed his advice and ended up stuck in traffic jams on major central Oklahoma
highways as a massive storm bore down on the Oklahoma City area.

The result was a "nightmare" on the roads, Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin said, exacerbated by some
employers letting people off early from work to beat the rush hour on Friday.
Tornadoes and flooding from the Friday storms killed 20 people, the chief Oklahoma medical examiner's office
said on Wednesday in its latest update of fatalities. Fallin said some people were sucked from their cars and
some vehicles tossed from the roads.

It was the second wave of deadly tornadoes in the area in two weeks. A monster twister flattened whole sections
of the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore on May 20. One Oklahoma tornado on Friday was the widest ever
recorded in the United States at 2.6 miles, the National Weather Service said.

Morgan, an 11-time weather broadcast award winner in Oklahoma, where meteorologists are admired for timely
forecasts about tornadoes, gave viewers the standard advice to seek cover in a storm cellar, shelter or other
safe place below ground.

But some critics said Morgan then went too far when he told viewers: "If you can leave South Oklahoma City
and go south do it now." He repeated similar advice several times.

Morgan was not the only local forecaster to give such advice as the storm front threatened to hit the major
population center of Oklahoma City.

'IRRESPONSIBLE REPORTING'
Ernst Kiesling, research professor at Texas Tech's National Wind Institute, said it was wrong to advise people
to get in their cars and try to outrun a tornado.

"Irresponsible reporting of that kind is unconscionable in my mind. You have the responsibility to give more than
your off-the-cuff opinions."

Cassandra Donnelly of Oklahoma City was one of those people who headed south on the advice of newscasters
and got stuck in traffic.

Donnelly said she saw cars driving the wrong way and through stop signs on one of city's major arteries. She
eventually pulled off the road into the bushes.

"I told my mom and my sister to keep praying. The rain was horizontal," Donnelly said. "We were pushed forward
twice."

Morgan has not appeared on the network since Friday, and the station said he is on vacation and would be
back on Thursday. He could not be reached for comment.

But a statement from KFOR on Wednesday said: "After every major storm, we review our coverage and the many
things that make each weather event unique, for the purpose of improving our coverage and our ability to forecast."

Greg Carbin, Meteorologist for the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma,
said a car is a more dangerous place to be than a well-constructed home in a tornado.

"You will more likely put yourself in more danger by leaving your house," he said.

Some people defended Morgan. David Barfield of Oklahoma City said he believes Morgan's advice two weeks
ago during the monster tornado in Moore saved his daughter's life.

His daughter was in an above-ground closet but Barfield, following Morgan's advice to go underground, kept
telephoning her to urge her to leave. She eventually did and survived.

"She would have died if she had stayed there," Barfield said.

http://tv.yahoo.com/...-052413546.html

#103    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,388 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostTaun, on 05 June 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Thinking back on it, I think they just got so swamped with the other storms that kept cropping up
Or maybe legal liability.  If you tell somebody it's all clear and then a tornado hits ....
Doug

#104    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm not sure a weather forecaster can be held liable for their forecast.

#105    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,388 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostHilander, on 06 June 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

I'm not sure a weather forecaster can be held liable for their forecast.
Probably not the forecast (unless they live in Italy).  But when you tell someone what they should do, then they do it and come to grief, that's different.
Doug

Also tagged with weather, tornado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users