Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Rods- making a comeback?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,309 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostWatchingTheStars, on 21 May 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

Rods are just insects (and maybe birds too). This has been proven so many times it's actually ridiculous that people still cling to the belief that rods are unknown creatures.
except it hasn't been proven 'thousands of times' WTS. it's been speculated thousands of times that they're insects, but speculation isn't proof. there's been tests that have tried to emulate rods by filming insects, and none of them have captured a single, convincing image that looked like a rod.
i'm not actually a believer in them myself, but I wouldn't class myself as a disbeliever either, as there's not enough information to formulate a definite answer one way or the other.....

"The 'great' British public, they don't understand- 'why should there be riots in this 'civilised' land?'
'why is this country being brought to its knees?'
because ignorance, is the British disease."

#17    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

Even the coveted History Channel has debunked this, as well as Fact or Faked on the syfy channel, and numerous other paranormal and crypto groups since they first became the rave in the mid 90's. If link doesn't work either Google or YouTube "rods debunked", I'm on a phone so not sure if link will work.

#18    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

I was a big disbeliever, and am not still convinced.

The odd thing is I expected them to disappear by now.  They were being picked up of digital camera's with a fairly slow frame rate hence why it could make a common flying insect looked longer and joined.

The thing is digital camera technology has come along millions of miles over the last 10 years and they still are being picked up.  Even at a consumer level the frame rates are massively higher, they shouldn't look like rods but they do.

Think of 10 years ago, cameras had about 2 megapixels with 5 megapixels on the highest end cameras.   For £60 you can pick up a Nikon nowadays with 16 megapixels and frame rates have risen from around 30fps to 120fps.

Edited by skookum, 21 May 2013 - 10:06 AM.

Posted Image

#19    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• Im so happy I bleed it.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PosttheSOURCE, on 20 May 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

Here's a partial list of some of the replies I thought up.

1) Large rods exist! I've seen them in movies! Well, certain kinds of movies...
2) Did I hear someone asking to see a large rod? nudge nudge
3) Maybe you're not doing it right...?
4) I'll show you a large rod as soon as the tattoo artist is done tattooing the Declaration of Independence on it.
5) Too much whiskey, perhaps?
6) If only it wasn't against forum rules...

But since they were all lamer than a one legged horse I decided not to post them.

Oh wait, I just did.

Hang on a second, this doesnt seem to fit in with the context regarding paranormal phenomenon.

Other life in the universe?, you dare to imply there are entities possibly far greater than us almighty humans, creators of canned ham and reality tv. Nonsense. Absurd.

The reality that stupidy exists in abundance doesnt bother me. Its the fact that theres still no cure.

#20    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

It might be some sort of insect or other natural creature.They have probably been around for ages,it's just only with the advenbt of photography and video cameras have we been able to capture them on film.If they do manage to capture any rods,it will be interesting to see  what they turn out to be.

#21    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,259 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

View Postshrooma, on 21 May 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

except it hasn't been proven 'thousands of times' WTS. it's been speculated thousands of times that they're insects, but speculation isn't proof. there's been tests that have tried to emulate rods by filming insects, and none of them have captured a single, convincing image that looked like a rod.
i'm not actually a believer in them myself, but I wouldn't class myself as a disbeliever either, as there's not enough information to formulate a definite answer one way or the other.....

They're bugs. I've seen them with the naked eye.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#22    _Only

_Only

• 6,487 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 21 May 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

They're bugs. I've seen them with the naked eye.

You've seen a camera created effect with your naked eye? Or are you implying you've seen a bug in the shape of those seen in 'rod' pictures with your naked eye?

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#23    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,259 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

View Post_Only, on 21 May 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

You've seen a camera created effect with your naked eye? Or are you implying you've seen a bug in the shape of those seen in 'rod' pictures with your naked eye?

Second part.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#24    _Only

_Only

• 6,487 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 21 May 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Second part.

So it was sitting still, or flying slowly?

#25    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,259 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

It was flying but it certainly wasn't slowly. I only caught it for a few seconds before it went into shade, out of sunlight.

#26    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,309 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 21 May 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

It was flying but it certainly wasn't slowly. I only caught it for a few seconds before it went into shade, out of sunlight.
so, would that put you in the believer's camp then sweet?
I mean, if they DO exist, then being some kind of insect makes sense, a lot more sense than trans-dimensional alien entities anyway!
take hummingbirds for example, we all know they have wings right, coz you can't see the little flames coming out of their jetpacks, but because their wings beat extremely fast, they're practically invisible, but nobody thinks they're fitted with anti-grav units, so why couldn't there be insects that move quicker than the eye can process?

"The 'great' British public, they don't understand- 'why should there be riots in this 'civilised' land?'
'why is this country being brought to its knees?'
because ignorance, is the British disease."

#27    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,259 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

View Postshrooma, on 21 May 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

so, would that put you in the believer's camp then sweet?

A believer in really fast flying bugs? Yes.

#28    _Only

_Only

• 6,487 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 21 May 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

A believer in really fast flying bugs? Yes.

That wasn't quite the question. I think he meant a believer in a species of insect that has never been identified, except in high speed flight. It's like you're trying to push people into calling these things aliens or demons or something. Or maybe I'm wrong. Your extremely short answers leave much to interpretation.

#29    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Rods, again,... Seriously?? :lol:

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#30    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,568 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

There you go:
Posted Image
:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users