Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

Ex-soldier told to repaint his St George's

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#16    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,038 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 20 May 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

That some are willing to personally call others names shows anger, coupled with the demonstrated intolerance toward Muslims, it all leaves little doubt that such measures as described in the OP are necessary.

In a more tolerant climate where traditional symbols are not perverted and where others would reclaim such symbols for more traditional uses by confronting intolerance instead of contributing toward it then things would be different.

For now the need is definitely established.

And what's your national flag?

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#17    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,352 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 20 May 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

And what's your national flag?

I'm guessing it's all white.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#18    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,038 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 20 May 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

I'm guessing it's all white.

:yes:

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#19    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,050 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

I think its the landlord that is being offended

#20    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,697 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think there should be an outcry against this, and people should petition the Housing Association to get rid of Ms Hardy!! The Labour Party totally distance themselves from Ms Hardy, but it would appear that Ms Hardy can do whatever she wants without fear of Censure!!

In her letter Ms Hardy said the flag design fell foul of rules tackling unruly tenants who caused 'a nuisance, annoyance, disturbance or harassment' of others.

Ms Hardy also said his conduct breached tenancy conditions concerning those tenants who were 'injurious to the interests of neighbours' and those who 'cause distress, alarm or interfere with the peace and comfort of any other person'.

It doesn't even appear that his neighbours had any problems with this... just some extremist Contractor. Even her citation of rules appears to be have entirely based on her own, bizarre, views.

Edited by keithisco, 20 May 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#21    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,697 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Apologies to anyone who might be offended, but I felt moved to email the Preston office where this woman works. This is the email that I sent...

"Sack Ms Hardy!! She is an Uber Political Correctness Officer that should not be in any position of Authority. She vilifies ex- forces tenants with her own Personal Agenda. She is a hateful Quizzling."

Should anyone else feel sufficiently moved to send an email to the Housing Society then this is the Link: http://www.placesfor...es/preston.aspx

#22    shrooma

shrooma

Needs an exorcist, not a shrink....

• 3,405 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 20 May 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Some of us are glad this symbol of hate will be removed. Good marks to whoever reported it and hopefully it will inform others to do the same whenever symbols of intolerance are encountered, however well disguised or claims of innocence proclaimed.
let's not forget that the swastika used to be a symbol of peace, but you don't seem to find many people 'reclaiming' it and flying it outside their houses, do you....?

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
b¡t¢h due to your lack of understanding.

#23    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,038 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 20 May 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

I think there should be an outcry against this, and people should petition the Housing Association to get rid of Ms Hardy!! The Labour Party totally distance themselves from Ms Hardy, but it would appear that Ms Hardy can do whatever she wants without fear of Censure!!

In her letter Ms Hardy said the flag design fell foul of rules tackling unruly tenants who caused 'a nuisance, annoyance, disturbance or harassment' of others.

Ms Hardy also said his conduct breached tenancy conditions concerning those tenants who were 'injurious to the interests of neighbours' and those who 'cause distress, alarm or interfere with the peace and comfort of any other person'.

It doesn't even appear that his neighbours had any problems with this... just some extremist Contractor. Even her citation of rules appears to be have entirely based on her own, bizarre, views.

This is very similar to the case in Swindon (i think) recently where somebody was instructed to remove a similar flag lest it offend the local muslim popluation.
It transpired that the muslim population numbered 17 and when asked none of them had a problem with it & none had complained. As with all these sorts of disputes it usually starts when some petty official with a little bit of power takes it upon themselves to be offended for some imagined others.

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 20 May 2013 - 10:47 PM.

― Groucho Marx

#24    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,339 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

View Postealdwita, on 20 May 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

I know how he feels. I have the 'privilege' of owning a 'Listed' Building, and I can't as much as change the front door knob without consulting the Parish Council!

I just knew there'd be one! In that case, in view of all those "Behead those who insult Islam" And "Kill the Kafir" demonstrations, please get all the crescents removed from the tops of mosques in the UK! (Or is it only the English who aren't allowed to be proud of their heritage?)
None of those near where I live.  I expect that if they start appearing they will soon learn to gather quietly and respectfully.  southerners tend to target practice on things that upset them.  No bloodshed mind, just a few strategically placed holes in a facade :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#25    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,697 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 20 May 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

This is very similar to the case in Swindon (i think) recently where somebody was instructed to remove a similar flag lest it offend the local muslim popluation.
It transpired that the muslim population numbered 17 and when asked none of them had a problem with it & none had complained. As with all these sorts of disputes it usually starts when some petty official with a little bit of power takes it upon themselves to be offended for some imagined others.

What can you say??  Ms Hardy seems to be fanning the flames of Religious Hatred (wrongly) because she does not understand religious sensitivities. I have NEVER had problems with Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu neighbours when celebrating St Georges Day (every year in Spain). In fact, I always invite them and they really enjoy learning about the different traditions. What this tells me is that the Lib - Dems, are so removed from reality that they should never be trusted with Political Power.

#26    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,038 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 20 May 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

Apologies to anyone who might be offended, but I felt moved to email the Preston office where this woman works. This is the email that I sent...

"Sack Ms Hardy!! She is an Uber Political Correctness Officer that should not be in any position of Authority. She vilifies ex- forces tenants with her own Personal Agenda. She is a hateful Quizzling."

Should anyone else feel sufficiently moved to send an email to the Housing Society then this is the Link: http://www.placesfor...es/preston.aspx

Nice one. :tu:

― Groucho Marx

#27    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 20 May 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

That some are willing to personally call others names shows anger, coupled with the demonstrated intolerance toward Muslims, it all leaves little doubt that such measures as described in the OP are necessary.

In a more tolerant climate where traditional symbols are not perverted and where others would reclaim such symbols for more traditional uses by confronting intolerance instead of contributing toward it then things would be different.

For now the need is definitely established.

For someone who is putting the case for a more tolerant society so strongly, I find your intolerance of those who dare to hold views differing to yours quite amazing!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#28    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

I don't really have a problem with them asking him to do it.  In some ways for the safety of him and people living around him.  

There are groups of all ethnic origins that have extreme groups.  Something little like this may be all the provocation they need to vandalise, terrorize or even in extreme cases commit arson.  Or it could be mistaken as the premises of an EDL or BNP member or group.

It is not like it is something that he really needs, you don't need a whacking great flag to be patriotic.  Most housing associations carry out their own exterior painting.  If they have paid or budgeted for it then he has repainted it without permission he is not exactly going to please them much.

Edited by skookum, 20 May 2013 - 11:49 PM.

Posted Image

#29    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,745 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

View Postand then, on 20 May 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

None of those near where I live.  I expect that if they start appearing they will soon learn to gather quietly and respectfully.  southerners tend to target practice on things that upset them.  No bloodshed mind, just a few strategically placed holes in a facade :w00t:
So, if you are upset or ofended by something you guys just shoot? Looks like the terrorists have a good teacher in the southern rednecks.

#30    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

Its amazing that the EDL is labelled a hate group because they openly oppose everything everybody else hates, (assuming everyone reading hates them anyway) Terrorists, Muslim grooming, Muslim hate speech, Sharia Law, The EDL call it the Islamification of the UK, and its easy to see their point when in places like Radstock Somerset from a population of over 5k the councillor decides to remove the national flag because 16 Muslims complained due to its ties to the crusades, she only added the reason "it had been hijacked by the far right" from her own opinion and not from complaints, the BNP and even UKIP are being labelled racists now, the BNP use the Union Jack so why hasn't that been removed ?

This whinging about overt National symbolism ie flying the George cross has been around longer than the EDL here we have a forum dated Feb 2008 discussing this very issue http://www.talk-uk.c...hp/t-22750.html the EDL formed in March 2009 http://en.wikipedia...._Defence_League

The BNP who are also labelled fascist and racist adopted the Union Jack but no ones whinging about that yet....and I stress yet as it will happen,

Edited by ciriuslea, 21 May 2013 - 12:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users