Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Gun Control News

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 21 May 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

The top line: Indeed.

Second line: Do you have an example for what you have in mind? Do you have a general distrust towards your lawmakers?

I hope so.    The trust of the public has certainly not been earned in recent years.

#17    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,906 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Same question to you then: Any examples?

(I am not trying to prove anything here, but being in Germany, and thus pretty far away from everyday lawmaking in the US, I'd just like to get some arguments)

#18    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

examples?? if you don't see them, (and they are, right in your face), than i don't see any point for anyone to waste their time on that, buddy.
but in case you missed the train that hit you. how about jump in home brake ins in uk after heandgun ban, same for australia, how about highest murder\brake in rate in dc during handgun ban.  the links are like in dozens of threads, i'm not reposting them, if you debate on the subject you should have read them before, but than again, if you ask these questions, you pbly just ignore inconvinient facts, and play ignorance.

and also just in case you mised it too, almost entire american population, has a general distrust towards lawmakers, i would think it would be pretty clear for someone that is on this board and posts (and one would hope reads as well), would be cristal clear.

Edited by aztek, 21 May 2013 - 02:11 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#19    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,906 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postaztek, on 21 May 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

examples?? if you don't see them, (and they are, right in your face), than i don't see any point for anyone to waste their time on that, buddy.
but in case you missed the train that hit you. how about jump in home brake ins in uk after heandgun ban, same for australia, how about highest murder\brake in rate in dc during handgun ban.  the links are like in dozens of threads, i'm not reposting them, if you debate on the subject you should have read them before, but than again, if you ask these questions, you pbly just ignore inconvinient facts, and play ignorance.
I wasn't talking about gun control, but this:

View PostBabe Ruth, on 21 May 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

(...)
Most of the time any given law creates more unintended consequences than it does achieve its stated goals.
But thank you for being in attack mode again.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 21 May 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#20    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 21 May 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Same question to you then: Any examples?

(I am not trying to prove anything here, but being in Germany, and thus pretty far away from everyday lawmaking in the US, I'd just like to get some arguments)

There are scandles uncovered almost every week in which elected officials have been involved in.   I assume even more are not uncovered.   Questionable decisions are made that benefit the lawmakers.   Of course we try to vote someone else in, but it's more of the same.   When hundreds of elected officials vote straight down the party lines, you know there are many unethical among them.   When un-related stuff is added to bills to get it passed, you know there is corruption.   There are not many reasons to trust our lawmakers.

Edited by Myles, 21 May 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#21    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,906 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostMyles, on 21 May 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

There are scandles uncovered almost every week in which elected officials have been involved in.   I assume even more are not uncovered.   Questionable decisions are made that benefit the lawmakers.   Of course we try to vote someone else in, but it's more of the same.   When hundreds of elected officials vote straight down the party lines, you know there are many unethical among them.   When un-related stuff is added to bills to get it passed, you know there is corruption.   There are not many reasons to trust our lawmakers.
I see, thank you. That is at least something. :)

View Postaztek, on 21 May 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

(...)
how about jump in home brake ins in uk after heandgun ban, same for australia,
Not quite: Property crime in the UK

how about highest murder\brake in rate in dc during handgun ban.
Well, of course. Insular laws are destined to fail.

#22    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 21 May 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

yes, quite abit.
The Government's latest crime figures were condemned as "truly terrible" by the Tories today as it emerged that gun crime in England and Wales soared by 35% last year.

Criminals used handguns in 46% more offences, Home Office statistics revealed.

(NOW WHERE DO THEY GET HANDGUNS,?? IF NO ONE HAS THEM, ALL LAW ABIDING FOLKS, SURRENDERED THEM, I GUESS THAT PUTS A HUGE HOLE IN THE ARGUMENT, IF LAW ABIDING CITIZENS DON'T HAVE THEM, AND NONE ARE FOR SALE LEGALY, CROOKS WONT HAVE ANYWHERE TO STEAL THEM FROM.

ANOTHER FALLACY FALLS APART LIKE HOUSE OF CARDS.)

Firearms were used in 9,974 recorded crimes in the 12 months to last April, up from 7,362.

It was the fourth consecutive year to see a rise and there were more than 2,200 more gun crimes last year than the previous peak in 1993.

Figures showed the number of crimes involving handguns had more than doubled since the post-Dunblane massacre ban on the weapons, from 2,636 in 1997-1998 to 5,871.

Unadjusted figures showed overall recorded crime in the 12 months to last September rose 9.3%, but the Home Office stressed that new procedures had skewed the figures.
http://townhall.com/...banned-n1464528

After the ban, more than 160,000 law-abiding citizens gave up their handguns. The idea was to stop gun violence. But ironically, crime-related gun violence jumped a whopping 40 percent in the two years after the ban. And since then, gun crime has continued to soarat an alarming rate.
http://frontpagemag....sh-gun-control/

ALSO THIS

7 Gun Control Facts That Are Actually Myths

Edited by aztek, 21 May 2013 - 02:25 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#23    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Dr. Suzanna Hupp Testimony Before Congress on the 2nd Amendment
Luby’s Cafeteria Massacre survivor Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp testifying to Congress on why good Americans obeying bad gun laws leads to death and suffering. The former Texas House Representative shared her story about her parents being killed before her eyes by a shooter in a Luby’s Restaurant. Due to gun restrictions, she had left her gun in her car that fateful day. Ever since, she has been spreading the word about a right-to-carry law would have probably saved her parents’ lives.

How can that be, when guns kill almost 30,000 Americans a year? Because while we hear about the murders and accidents, we don't often hear about the crimes stopped because would-be victims showed a gun and scared criminals away. Those thwarted crimes and lives saved usually aren't reported to police (sometimes for fear the gun will be confiscated), and when they are reported, the media tend to ignore them. No bang, no news.
This state of affairs produces a distorted public impression of guns. If you only hear about the crimes and accidents, and never about lives saved, you might think gun ownership is folly.
But, hey, if guns save lives, it logically follows that gun laws cost lives.
Suzanna Hupp and her parents were having lunch at Luby's cafeteria in Killeen, Texas, when a man began shooting diners with his handgun, even stopping to reload. Suzanna's parents were two of the 23 people killed. (Twenty more were wounded.)
Suzanna owned a handgun, but because Texas law at the time did not permit her to carry it with her, she left it in her car. She's confident that she could have stopped the shooting spree if she had her gun. (Texas has since changed its law.)
Today, 40 states issue permits to competent, law-abiding adults to carry concealed handguns (Vermont and Alaska have the most libertarian approach: no permit needed. Arizona is about to join that exclusive club.) Every time a carry law was debated, anti-gun activists predicted outbreaks of gun violence after fender-benders, card games and domestic quarrels.
What happened?
John Lott, in "More Guns, Less Crime," explains that crime fell by 10 percent in the year after the laws were passed. A reason for the drop in crime may have been that criminals suddenly worried that their next victim might be armed. Indeed, criminals in states with high civilian gun ownership were the most worried about encountering armed victims.
In Canada and Britain, both with tough gun-control laws, almost half of all burglaries occur when residents are home. But in the United States, where many households contain guns, only 13 percent of burglaries happen when someone_s at home.

Taken from http://www.realclear...ves_106057.html

On his Tuesday evening broadcast, Glenn Beck hosted a special guest panel comprising people who have survived the unspeakable atrocity of rape. What’s more, these guests maintain that their attack might have been prevented if they had been equipped with a means of self-defense. Many of the attacks occurred in gun-free zones, underscoring the reality that people of goodwill were left defenseless, while those with an intent to do harm still found a way to wreak their havoc.
Included on the panel was Amanda Collins, who was raped at gunpoint in a garage situated on her college campus. Her attacker, James Biela, had already raped two other women and murdered a third. He is now serving his sentence on Death Row.
It can and has certainly been argued that Collins, who was trained in the proper use of guns from childhood, could have stopped her attacker had she been carrying a weapon, and perhaps even saved other lives Biela would target next. According to Beck, Collins did in fact own a gun and had a concealed carry license but it was illegal to carry the firearm on her college campus.
“I was denied the one equalizing factor that I had,” she said.
Another panelist, Kim Corban Weeks was attacked and raped in her own home by an intruder. She escaped after convincing her attacker that she would not report the crime, but eerily, he remained at her residence to speak with her for an hour after the incident. Eventually he was apprehended and is now serving 24 years to life. Weeks is now an avid supporter of gun rights and is married to a police officer.

Taken from http://www.theblaze....tor-that-i-had/

#24    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,906 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

@aztek:
That is completely different from what you have claimed before. You were talking about a raise in break-ins, now you have changed the subject, and also posted a very biased article. The rate went up, and is now steadily declining. All your articles fail to mention that. I have to leave the house now, so I will elaborate more on this later on. For now, I leave this link of a pdf by the UK House of Parliament. Please have a look at the chart on page 5.

http://www.parliamen...n01940.pdf‎

Edited by FLOMBIE, 21 May 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#25    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

and brake ins did rise. so proves my link. read it again.
so my links are biased but yours are not?? lol, of course.
So are gun-related crimes, domestic burglary, retail burglary, (from the article), those are brake ins, and armed robbery.

don't waste your time trying to elaborate more on this later on. there is  nothing you can show me, that i have not seen before.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#26    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,906 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Well, I posted only statistics, and an unopinionated parliamental paper, which prove the opposite. I qualify them as unbiased.
There are also lots of other countries for examples of working gun control.And of course, nothing is perfect.
But alright, I'll stop arguing with you about this. You have seen it all. :unsure2:

#27    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 21 May 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

. I qualify them as unbiased.

lol, they are  more biased than anyone, since it was their law, that banned handguns. so it is not in their best interest to show how it failed.
hundreds of sources say the opposite, from that one, and you consider all those biased, but yours speaks the truth, lol.
got it.
oh yea guns control sure works, Mao, Stalin, Hitler proved it, that is why we are against gun control.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#28    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,906 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

View Postaztek, on 21 May 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

lol, they are  more biased than anyone, since it was their law, that banned handguns. so it is not in their best interest to show how it failed.
hundreds of sources say the opposite, from that one, and you consider all those biased, but yours speaks the truth, lol.
got it.
oh yea guns control sure works, Mao, Stalin, Hitler proved it, that is why we are against gun control.
You see, that's what happens when two smartasses clash :D
The gun control these muppets installed is way different than the one we have here now. And that one does work.
Do you think the British fake their statistics? Where do your articles get their figures from? Right, same sources. They interpret them, what my links do not do; they are raw numbers. That is the difference.

Besides, I would never suggest a gun ban like in the UK. There are much better models.

Edit: I hope you have read the comments on the first article you have posted. And for the sources: A daily mail article!

Edited by FLOMBIE, 21 May 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#29    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostThanato, on 20 May 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

There is a drastic difference between a Gun Ban and Gun Control.

Gun control can be just as easy as screening people who purchase guns, ensuring that they do not have a history of violent tendencies.

Yes criminals don't care, but the person who has snapped and will snap again they more then likely will go through the proper channels.

The guy at newtown hadn't snapped before.  All of the new laws, state or national, proposed or passed would not have kept the weapon out of this man's hands.  Further limiting the size of the magazine would not have slowed him down.  He never emptied a magazine during the shooting.  He was changing them almost as fast as he was shooting.  The onle thing that would have stopped him was another gun.  Which when one showed up he killed himself.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#30    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,080 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

View Postdanielost, on 21 May 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

The guy at newtown hadn't snapped before.  All of the new laws, state or national, proposed or passed would not have kept the weapon out of this man's hands.  Further limiting the size of the magazine would not have slowed him down.  He never emptied a magazine during the shooting.  He was changing them almost as fast as he was shooting.  The onle thing that would have stopped him was another gun.  Which when one showed up he killed himself.

No one shot up a school? where have you been living.
Kept out of his hands? Certainly would have.
Magazine size? Certainly would have slowed him down.
Another gun? Seriously?!! you want bullets flying back and forth with CHILDREN present. More would have been killed.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users