Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

FL teen charged for underage relationship

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,769 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1348422
Florida girl, 18, arrested and expelled after relationship with 15-year-old female classmate

An 18-year-old Florida student’s senior year has become a nightmare — all because she was in a same-sex relationship with a 15-year-old, her family says.

Kaitlyn Hunt was arrested Feb. 16 for having a physical relationship with a younger classmate, who was her girlfriend at the time, mom Kelley Hunt Smith wrote on Facebook.

Under Florida law, Hunt could see up to 15 years in prison and must register as a sex offender. A plea deal, however, remains on the table that would give Hunt two years' house arrest and one year of probation, her family said.

“Does my daughter deserve to lose her life for 15 years, or 3 years, or to have no life, because of one choice she made in high school, absolutely not!!” Hunt Smith wrote Friday, adding, “This is a mother’s nightmare.”

So apparently the parents of the 15-year-old filed charges against Kaitlyn Hunt as soon as she turned 18 even though the relationship had been going on for quite some time.  It's my understanding that while Florida does have a "Romeo & Juliet" law, that the 3 year age difference is too great for that to apply in this case.

It appears the Hunts have taken to social media to play the gay card and make this all about hate and homophobia when, in fact, the same thing has been happening in male/female relationships for years.  I wonder how many thousands of young men are on sex offender registries throughout the country for this very same reason?

Edited by Rafterman, 20 May 2013 - 06:38 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#2    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

This sounds ridiculous. When I was 16, I had a relationship with somebody who was 15. So one of us was legal and the other wasn't (UK law) but what's important is it's what we both wanted.

Sex offender register to me should be used for cases of rape and cases of underage activity whereby consent couldn't really have been given ie: adult and a minor who is not sexually mature or barely. 18 and 15 is nothing.

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 20 May 2013 - 06:54 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#3    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Regardless, it's completely unfair to that young lady.  I think it's less about the 'gay card' as you put it, than it is just about injustice.

Just because injustice has been perpetuated in the past, doesn't make this any less wrong.

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,769 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 20 May 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

This sounds ridiculous. When I was 16, I had a relationship with somebody who was 15. So one of us was legal and the other wasn't (UK law) but what's important is it's what we both wanted.

Sex offender register to me should be used for cases of rape and cases of underage activity whereby consent couldn't really have been given ie: adult and a minor who is not sexually mature or barely. 18 and 15 is nothing.

But that's the point, under US law, there is a minimum age for consent.  In Florida, if you're 15, you cannot legally give consent.

The situation you describe of being 16 and 15 would be covered under the Romeo & Juliet clause in most states.  A 3 year age difference is beyond the age range.

View Postsupervike, on 20 May 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

Regardless, it's completely unfair to that young lady.  I think it's less about the 'gay card' as you put it, than it is just about injustice.

Just because injustice has been perpetuated in the past, doesn't make this any less wrong.

Would you want your 15 year old daughter dating an 18 year old boy?  How about 19 or 20?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

If you are 18 or over don't be seeing a minor.

I think she was railroaded since the affair had been going on for some time.

#6    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

But that's the point, under US law, there is a minimum age for consent.  In Florida, if you're 15, you cannot legally give consent.

The situation you describe of being 16 and 15 would be covered under the Romeo & Juliet clause in most states.  A 3 year age difference is beyond the age range.

There's a minimum age of consent here too. By law, my partner wasn't legally allowed to give consent but as you say...nothing would have been done if anybody reported it anyway (both our parents knew and didn't mind). My point is...what's the difference between me and her then, and say me being 2 years older and being 18 instead? None whatsoever that I can see. If it was now and she was 15, me being 25, then I can see why there'd be a problem because we'd be completely different generations and at 15, you're easily influenced and it could be argued against me that I'd be taking advantage of that. When it comes to 18 and 15 though? I can't see it being a relationship built on the older taking advantage of the younger.

I would be perfectly happy for my 15 year old son or daughter to date somebody 18 but +3 years at that age would be about my limit. Though, it probably helps form my view that UK legal age is 16 and obviously..15 isn't far off it.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#7    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

I think the parents of the 15 year old probably got what they wanted and manage to kill the relationship between these two girls, if it was case of the parent's view of actually thinking upon the relationship as a "hey, that girl is too old for you" mentality. But, if the parents of 15 year old did this because they are ignorant enough to think that this will stop the 15 year old's attraction to other females (and I say surely not, they can't be that naive), well...I think they got another thing coming; and they just ruined somebody else's life for nothing.

Because the 15 year old will more than likely find another female closer to her age or less and hookup with them. Maybe even out of spite, if it's a case of her parents trying to prevent same-sex relationships.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#8    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,519 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

This is a very sad story.  Really, it's none of the state's business what consensual relations people have.

This seems to be another example of the mean-spirited prudes made by our crazy judeo-christian heritage, and how they have wrongly influenced our secular laws. :td:

#9    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,501 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Too many rash judgements.   There is probably more to this story.  Maybe the parents of the 15 year old have told the 18 year old to stay away numerous times.   There is no way I would allow my 15 year old to date an 18 year old(I actually presently have a 15 year old daughter).  We also do not know much about this 18 year old.   Maybe she is a low life loser.    Maybe she has a reputaion that is not very good.   This may have been the parents last resort.

#10    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostMyles, on 21 May 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Too many rash judgements.   There is probably more to this story.  Maybe the parents of the 15 year old have told the 18 year old to stay away numerous times.   There is no way I would allow my 15 year old to date an 18 year old(I actually presently have a 15 year old daughter).  We also do not know much about this 18 year old.   Maybe she is a low life loser. Maybe she has a reputaion that is not very good.   This may have been the parents last resort.
Why not? What is so wrong about that? Would you rather want them to meet secretly, which they will be doing for sure?

I'd rather invite the guy/girl, and try to get to know him/her. Might be a very lovely person.

#11    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,501 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 21 May 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Why not? What is so wrong about that? Would you rather want them to meet secretly, which they will be doing for sure?

I'd rather invite the guy/girl, and try to get to know him/her. Might be a very lovely person.
Because I am her parent and need to protect her.    Believe it or not, parents get a say in the raising of their children.   It's our responsibility to lead them in the right direction.  This is done through talking with your child.

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,769 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 21 May 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

This is a very sad story.  Really, it's none of the state's business what consensual relations people have.

This seems to be another example of the mean-spirited prudes made by our crazy judeo-christian heritage, and how they have wrongly influenced our secular laws. :td:

Again, that's the point - a 15 year old cannot legally give consent in the State of Florida.

#13    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,501 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostRafterman, on 21 May 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Again, that's the point - a 15 year old cannot legally give consent in the State of Florida.
I agree with this.   My 15 year old is not ready for what an 18 year old would bring.   She's concentrating on her studies and has her sights set on the Air Force Acadamy (her choice, not mine).

#14    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostMyles, on 21 May 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Because I am her parent and need to protect her. Believe it or not, parents get a say in the raising of their children.   It's our responsibility to lead them in the right direction.  This is done through talking with your child.
But kids often do not follow their parent's advice. This should be taken into consideration

#15    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

She's being treated equally. Isn't that what everyone wants?

Until it affects them, of course.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users