Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

FL teen charged for underage relationship

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,528 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 21 May 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

She's being treated equally. Isn't that what everyone wants?

Until it affects them, of course.
That is correct.   I don't agree with being put on the sex offenders list, but this has happened to many, many boys who are 18.

#17    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,964 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

I've read some horror stories of young boys being ruined for life because they've been put on that list.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#18    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,528 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 21 May 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

I've read some horror stories of young boys being ruined for life because they've been put on that list.
It is bad. I'm not sure what the happy median could be.

#19    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostRafterman, on 21 May 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Again, that's the point - a 15 year old cannot legally give consent in the State of Florida.

I understand your point, and that is true.

But the logical extension of that seems to be that a 15 year old must have permission from the State to be friends with any given person.  To display affection to any given person.  That's crazy.

#20    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

• Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

So I guess the question for me is this... if 18 is the age of consent in Florida, yet freshmen can be 13-14 and a senior can be 17-18 why are they attending the same school if legally there is a problem in the difference in age dating? Why aren't  the 13-16 year old kids in junior high and then the 16-18 year old kids at another (high) school wouldn't that solve part of the age dating issues? How often does this pose a problem or is it as the article intimates it's because it was girls dating?

I've always said if the difference in age is close under a couple of years (especially when the parties involved are at the same school) they are dating and it clearly isn't rape then people have got to get it through their heads that sex and teenagers go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Most kids don't think about age and dating. Was there some kind of don't date or have sex with someone if you're 18 and they are younger informational lectures at the school? The school board at the behest of the parents should give lectures and flyers to all students on their first day of class so that no one is surprised by this law.

Mabon.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson

#21    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,935 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

When the relationship was ingoing before she turned 18, it seems to me to be a dirty trick the younger girl's parents pulled.  Anytime there is a relationship before the older partner turns 18 and then the parents charge them it seems for spite IMO.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#22    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• 1,749 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

I agree Glorybebe, I've said this about heterosexual relationships as well. It has always made me angry that parents do this and it just looks like a p***y maneuver because they can't or won't do anything about the relationship until one of the partners turn18, then they file a rape charge, ruining that persons life.

Mabon.

One need not be a house;

#23    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 21 May 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

I understand your point, and that is true.

But the logical extension of that seems to be that a 15 year old must have permission from the State to be friends with any given person.  To display affection to any given person.  That's crazy.

Well you can be friends, you just can't have sex.

It may seem crazy, but look at the other side of the equation - there are a lot of sexual predators who are experts at convincing young children that they are in a "consenting" relationship.

And frankly, after reading the affidavit in this case, Katilyn's alleged comments sound a lot like some of the stuff I've heard convicted sex predators say over the years.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#24    Heru

Heru

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

If they were dating before she turned 18 then I'm sure they were dating before the other person was 15.  While i wouldn't call the 18 year old a pedophile I doubt it was a shock that the 15 year old's parents didn't approve of the relationship.

I have sons but if my son was 15 (I am assuming the relationship probably started when she was 13 or 14) and was dating another person who was a upperclassman I would feel that he was being "seduced"  into a sexual relationship.  I would probably say focus on your school and get into a good college after that if you both want to continue your relationship that's your choice.  

And maybe the 15 year old's parents did say this but the older girl continued. We don't know. So we shouldn't assume the parents acted all nice and supportive and then droped a bomb shell when she turned 18.

#25    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostRafterman, on 22 May 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Well you can be friends, you just can't have sex.

It may seem crazy, but look at the other side of the equation - there are a lot of sexual predators who are experts at convincing young children that they are in a "consenting" relationship.

And frankly, after reading the affidavit in this case, Katilyn's alleged comments sound a lot like some of the stuff I've heard convicted sex predators say over the years.

Of course this is not about sexual predators, is it?  Though the system may very well classify the older girl as such, once this case is ever resolved.

By what authority can the state say "you can be friends OK, but you cannot have sexual relations"?

#26    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

The only reason this case is getting so much attention is because it is girl/girl.  If it was an 18 year old boy and 15 year old girl, you would never hear about it.

Hopefully though, this will shed light on these silly laws.  If what they were doing is legal one day, when they older girl was 17 but suddenly becomes illegal the next
day because she turns 18, there is something wrong with the law.  Personally I don't think the law should be so black and white when it comes to kids around
those ages.  Those are not cases of someone being a sexual predator, those are cases of us trying place our unatural ideals onto what is a pretty natural thing.
Of course parents do not want their kids having sex at that age but nature does not care about that :w00t:  Nature makes them sexually mature and full
of hormones around those ages.

They really need to stop wasting tax payer dollars with cases like these and go after the real sexual predators.

#27    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 22 May 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

Of course this is not about sexual predators, is it?  Though the system may very well classify the older girl as such, once this case is ever resolved.

By what authority can the state say "you can be friends OK, but you cannot have sexual relations"?

We don't really know that at this point.  We can speculate, but that's it.

As for what authority - well, the same authority the state has for all of its laws.  I'm 43, by what authority can the state say that I cannot have sexual relations with a 12 year old girl?

But the main point (and this addresses Razer's comment as well) is that you can't have two sets of laws - one for "real" sexual predators and one for popular girls with high school crushes.

Edited by Rafterman, 22 May 2013 - 08:04 PM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#28    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Rafterman

I'm pretty sure we agree that the (generic) state cannot pass just any old law it wishes.  In the case of the Federal government, for example, according to the Constitution, the government can pass laws ONLY "for carrying into execution the foregoing powers".

So can the state legitimately criminalize relations between consenting persons?  If so, by what authority?

And whatever the answer, we must keep in mind that criminal laws do not really stop the targeted behavior, they simply allow a civilized framework within which such behavior might be punished.  Further, we must remember that MOST laws have far more unintended consequences than successful achievements.

#29    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• 1,749 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Actually it's illegal for the persons in question to have sex because their minors. It becomes a different 'more serious' legal matter the day the one turned 18. Stupid, because like I said earlier most kids don't even know these laws they're breaking exist. It's not because they're dumb but because they've never been told underage sex is a crime.

Mabon.

One need not be a house;

#30    dmurdock36

dmurdock36

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

I knew there was another side of this story the other parents are speaking out saying there daughter was 14 and the other girl 18 and they felt it was inappropriate for them to be dating she was warned twice, but wouldnt listen so they had no other choice but to go to the police.

Their comments are intriguing, as WPEC-TV claims that the Smith family’s revelations include a “bombshell that will likely turn this investigation on its head.”

And here it apparently is: “Our daughter was 14, and this girl was 18,” Jim told the outlet, clarifying previous inconsistencies surrounding the teens’ ages at the time of their relationship (previously, Hunt’s mother, Kelley, had written in a Facebook post that her daughter was 17 when the relationship began).

According to Laurie, she and her husband told Hunt that the relationship wasn’t right and, by their account, the older teen refused to listen. The “Free Kate” mantra, the Smiths maintain, hasn’t been an accurate one thus far.

“It’s not the way it was. It was quite different,” she said. “We had actually told Miss Hunt that this was wrong.”

The high schooler was allegedly warned twice.

http://www.theblaze....eged-bombshell/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users