Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Record-breaking 128lb Python,18ft & 8in long

python florida everglades jason leon

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

Thats a gator eater for sure.its a shame they have to kill these snakes

#17    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:23 AM

View PostSundew, on 21 May 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

Some of the releases were no doubt from pet owners, but not necessarily on purpose, snakes are master escape artists. I had a native yellow rat snake for a year or so before it managed to escape its cage and a workshop and got outside, which was okay since they are local anyway, but you would be surprised how strong a constrictor can be.

My understanding is that most of the pythons were released by Hurricane Andrew when it leveled a breeding facility of snakes for the pet trade. A large number were released at once near the Everglades and formed the nexus of a breeding population. There is some thought that the hurricane was also was responsible for the release of Lionfish into the Atlantic as well as supposedly a tropical fish importer on the ocean was damaged as well, but that seems a bit more unlikely.

Maybe snakes shouldn't be kept as pets if they want to be free so badly.  I've had birds escape only to come back home to me, preferring to live the pampered life.  They get to fly around the house and will not go outside anymore unless it's with me.

View Postjules99, on 21 May 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

Python Steaks (2 in a 250g Pack) - MPYWHFP51

Posted Image

Price: £22.31

Supposed to taste a bit like calamari

I hope they are making use of the animals that have to be culled.  Seems like a waste to just kill it and walk away.  I would want my dead body put to use somehow after death.  Maybe turn me into some soylent green or plant me under a fruit tree to fertilize the earth.  I'd even prefer to be rotting in the open on that FBI body farm in Tennessee than preserved in embalming fluid and sealed in a box.

Might be too garish to use my skin for shoes and purses though...

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#18    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,257 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 22 May 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

~snip

I hope they are making use of the animals that have to be culled.  Seems like a waste to just kill it and walk away.  I would want my dead body put to use somehow after death.  Maybe turn me into some soylent green or plant me under a fruit tree to fertilize the earth.  I'd even prefer to be rotting in the open on that FBI body farm in Tennessee than preserved in embalming fluid and sealed in a box.

Might be too garish to use my skin for shoes and purses though...

Posted Image

Gunther von Hagens ... Body Worlds ... not for the faint of heart ... link

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#19    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 22 May 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

Posted Image

Gunther von Hagens ... Body Worlds ... not for the faint of heart ... link

Which I am but these came to Hawaii a few years ago and are actually really cool and interesting.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#20    YukiEsmaElite0

YukiEsmaElite0

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

• "If we were blind and had no choice, would we hate each other by the tone of our voice?" - Anthrax, Schism

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

it's a snake, so it must be pretty boney. I've never tried it, but I may. Any suggestions?

#21    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,257 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostYukiEsmaElite0, on 22 May 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

it's a snake, so it must be pretty boney. I've never tried it, but I may. Any suggestions?

take them out on walks softens them up ...

Posted Image

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#22    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

why didn't One just put it to sleep?I mean authorities are killing these animals and yet humans go into their territory and its okay?but when they come no no no lets kill it.lets reverse this scene on humanity think about That!!!

#23    msmike1

msmike1

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

These snakes are invasive species plain and simple. Yes, they were imported for the pet trade, but so are a lot of other animals. The hurricane released most of them. A few careless pet owners didn't release enough of these snakes to support a breeding population as vast as is present. These snakes, once they reach a certain size or top of the line predators. The alligator is no longer the top predator in south florida anymore and that is the problem. The everglades are one of the most fragile ecosystems on earth, and introducing another top predator into the mix can be devastating. They have already seen a drastic drop in numbers of native species, and by drastic I mean up to 90% for some species. I love snakes, and hate that these animals need to be eradicated, but unfortunately that is the hard truth. I don't believe florida is doing enough to eradicate these animals though, and they are probably here to stay. As far as them being man eaters, well, that is mostly TV hype for ratings. Could an 18ft python eat a small human? Yes, but the reality of it happening is very slim.

Mike

#24    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,631 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostAndromedan Starseed 333, on 22 May 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

why didn't One just put it to sleep?I mean authorities are killing these animals and yet humans go into their territory and its okay?but when they come no no no lets kill it.lets reverse this scene on humanity think about That!!!

"Their territory" is S.E. Asia, they don't belong in a Florida ecosystem. The most humane way to kill an ectothermic (cold blooded) creature is to put into a freezer, at least according to some authorities. That could have proven difficult when it is wrapped around you and ticked off. Also, that would be a big freezer!

#25    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

If you want to eradicate it start telling people how delicious it is barbecued.

#26    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

the bigger a snake is the tougher they are, barbequed they might be real tough but they are great in a stew or as chili where they have been simmered for a few hours before serving..

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 26 May 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#27    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

They look like they would have bones like fish, the kind you have to be careful to pick out otherwise they get stuck in your throat.

#28    Mys-terious

Mys-terious

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 20 May 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

The Burmese Python, an invasive species to the Florida Everglades, was found and killed by Jason Leon in a rural area southeast of Miami.

This upsets me.

I understand that this particular breed of Python asserts the populations of a select number of mammals (native to South Florida). However, the slaughter of an endangered and perfectly able Python cannot be justified by deeming its breed 'an invasive species'.

Edited by Evening Star, 31 May 2013 - 09:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users