Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Bringing back all your dead ancestors?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Past/future=now (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you bring back your ancestors and collect your descendants?

1. Yes, family tree party! (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

2. No, even if everyone else in my line decided to, leave me out. (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. Other (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 May 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

What if your posterity has the save thoughts about you?
That's fine. Why wouldn't it?

#32    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 21 May 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

So one decides the question should be answered on who they would get along with, who might benefit them, who they deem as worthy contributions to the world, yet let us hope those in the future who do get to decide to bring us back have risen past these simple biases.
Well, bringing back intolerant people would not really help. I am not biased; I accept that people from different places and time are different, and might not get along. A utopian world where everybody is living together in peace and harmony is very unlikely, due to the vast differences in human beings.

Edit: Alright, I am biased towards my Nazi great uncles. And I am fine with that.
There are also a few I would really like to meet, but you were talking about resurrecting ALL of my ancestors, and that I would not want.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 21 May 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#33    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

Of course it is easier to get along with someone from our own era, even if they live across the world and speak another language, than to get along with our own ancestors from 200 years ago who might speak the same tongue as we do. We simply would not be able to relate with the old timers.

That does not mean it won't be possible one day. If it is, most will opt to bring everyone back, at least that is my view.

No one claimed it would be a utopian society either. There would be problems as with any new technology. New technology is introduced blind to the problems that will ensue. There is always a lag time between the introduction, to the recognition of issues, to the solving of those issues and using the technology in healthier ways.

It seems in this scenario the only intolerant ones are those who would choose to not bring others back and remain separated. Intolerance takes many forms. SS can be forgiven. Denying others eternity seems a graver form of intolerance. That too can be forgiven.

We at least know how each of us will decide by discussing it.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 21 May 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#34    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 21 May 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Of course it is easier to get along with someone from our own era, even if they live across the world and speak another language, than to get along with our own ancestors from 200 years ago who might speak the same tongue as we do. We simply would not be able to relate with the old timers.

That does not mean it won't be possible one day. If it is, most will opt to bring everyone back, at least that is my view.

No one claimed it would be a utopian society either. There would be problems as with any new technology. New technology is introduced blind to the problems that will ensue. There is always a lag time between the introduction, to the recognition of issues, to the solving of those issues and using the technology in healthier ways.

It seems in this scenario the only intolerant ones are those who would choose to not bring others back and remain separated. Intolerance takes many forms. SS can be forgiven. Denying others eternity seems a graver form of intolerance. That too can be forgiven.

We at least know how each of us will decide by discussing it.
And what if they dont change? What if they keep on spreading their hate? Does being tolerant mean to accept intolerant ideologies?

#35    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Ideologies and ideas are a product of their time and environment. If we each had a thousand years it is imaginable we would all change.

In fact I don't expect to be the same person in five years, I expect to change, and if I don't something is wrong. As is I am not the same person now that I was five years ago.

How many SS went on to change? We don't hear their stories. We also villainized a whole group because they lost the war. The Americans who conquered the Indians did horrible things, imagine if they had they the benefit of industrialization they could have used industrial methods of pushing others off their own lands and taking it for themselves as living space to settle farmers. This is the plan Hitler had, he lost, but the Americans won, and they are heroes. Should Americans not be allowed to bring back their ancestors? Who they consider heroes.

The logic employed breaks down when we see it through another lens. All deserve a chance to come back, in a new environment, to grow.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 21 May 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#36    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,273 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 21 May 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

We are all information and it cannot be destroyed. Cremation is not the end of life. Death is not the end of life.
So how would they bring them back and what will they look like? Will they look the same, have the same body and have the same personality as when they were alive?

I just want to know how this would be achieved if the body had been cremated or is now just bones?

#37    Glenville86

Glenville86

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

What if your Dad was the milk delivery man and not the Dad who you thought was your Dad.  Which ancestors would you get?  Genetic ancestors or what?  :yes:

#38    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,273 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 21 May 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

The Americans who conquered the Indians did horrible things, imagine if they had they the benefit of industrialization they could have used industrial methods of pushing others off their own lands and taking it for themselves as living space to settle farmers. This is the plan Hitler had, he lost, but the Americans won, and they are heroes. Should Americans not be allowed to bring back their ancestors? Who they consider heroes.

yes, if they could bring back their dead ancestors then they have as much right to do so as the Indians who lost their ancestors to them. That should be fun if they all came back again at the same time!

What do you think would happen is all those in the ss came back at the same time as the Jews who were murdered in the concentration camps? do you think they will all meet up and discuss a truce?

#39    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 21 May 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Ideologies and ideas are a product of their time and environment. If we each had a thousand years it is imaginable we would all change.

In fact I don't expect to be the same person in five years, I expect to change, and if I don't something is wrong. As is I am not the same person now that I was five years ago.

How many SS went on to change? We don't hear their stories. We also villainized a whole group because they lost the war. The Americans who conquered the Indians did horrible things, imagine if they had they the benefit of industrialization they could have used industrial methods of pushing others off their own lands and taking it for themselves as living space to settle farmers. This is the plan Hitler had, he lost, but the Americans won, and they are heroes. Should Americans not be allowed to bring back their ancestors? Who they consider heroes.

The logic employed breaks down when we see it through another lens. All deserve a chance to come back, in a new environment, to grow.
Could you elaborate on that? I think i am misunderstanding you (hopefully).

#40    cmhough461997

cmhough461997

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

idk but I had a previous life. I was a b**** then and im a b**** now

#41    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,903 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postcmhough461997, on 21 May 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

idk but I had a previous life. I was a b**** then and im a b**** now

Welcome to UM, b****!  :)

#42    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 21 May 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

I would hope that once I'm dead that I would be brought back were that option to become available. That being said, I can only say yes I would sign the waiver.  Kinda hypocritical for me to do otherwise.

From a moral perspective, of course one would be obliged to bring them back, both those one loved, and those one did not love.  Some acculturation help would be needed though.

I'd rather the opposite :P

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#43    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 21 May 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

What if science could bring back all your dead ancestors and collect all your ancestors? Would you sign the waiver?

I can think of a very easy experiment which would show if the mind is produced by the brain.

Take a corpse which has been rotting for two weeks. Recover a stem cell (some survive that long). Remove the rotten flesh and regrow fresh tissue using the stem cell to 'resurrect the person.'

If the mind is eternal then when the brain has been completely regrown the persons memories and personalities will be intact. Hence the predicted biblical resurrection after judgement day may actually come true.

Of course those who are afraid of what I've just said will try to rubbish whats written above despite no evidence existing to show it might be wrong.

#44    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Alien Abducter

• 4,616 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Nope, with the exception of Edgar Allan Poe.

#45    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,569 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostGiant Killer B, on 21 May 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

I can think of a very easy experiment which would show if the mind is produced by the brain.

Take a corpse which has been rotting for two weeks. Recover a stem cell (some survive that long). Remove the rotten flesh and regrow fresh tissue using the stem cell to 'resurrect the person.'

If the mind is eternal then when the brain has been completely regrown the persons memories and personalities will be intact. Hence the predicted biblical resurrection after judgement day may actually come true.

Of course those who are afraid of what I've just said will try to rubbish whats written above despite no evidence existing to show it might be wrong.
I thought cases of brain damage affecting memory and personality would be much more within our reach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users