Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Bringing back all your dead ancestors?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Past/future=now (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you bring back your ancestors and collect your descendants?

1. Yes, family tree party! (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

2. No, even if everyone else in my line decided to, leave me out. (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. Other (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostAmalthe, on 28 May 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

there is a bit of mathematical problem in this drudgery necromicon business. One person has 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 grandgrandparents, 16 grandgrandgrand parents and so on. Take back 20 or so generations, and all their possible minglings, from causual affairs, infidelity, widowing, divorce, all up to incest, rape, who knows? Then you would have a terrible mess of sorting to do. Better leave things as they are.

I want to meet Mitochondrial Eve.

There is also the related diamond theory where each one of us could go back and find a whole host of ancestors but then it would narrow back down to just a few which we all share.

#77    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,609 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

So, ya, there were less people long ago than now. Less people 100 years ago than now.

#78    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

Just thought of another reason. All those who have lost loved ones early would be able to recapture that lost time and more. Mothers who lost children would have them back. Children who lost parents too. Friends who lost friends.

#79    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,045 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

This theme is close to being the wildest, furthest "out" hypothetical I have seen.  There is no prospect of a general resurrection on the technological horizon -- no way to achieve this.

The theme nevertheless hypothesizes that it were possible and we had to choose who to resurrect and who not to.  

There are practical issues that have been raised that strike me as a bit silly -- what to do with the extra population, acculturation problems, and so on.  With so advanced a society, I have no doubt they could be easily handled.

Then there is the moral issue of whether or not to resurrect "evil" people.  Over and above the issues of judgment needed here, there is a moral mandate we all have (although a lot of people do manage to avoid thinking about it) to preserve sentient life.

#80    Zargoza

Zargoza

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• groovin...on a Sunday afternoon.....

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:04 AM

So being the math nerd I am I sat down and figured out that due to world population growth you are only able to go back 29 generations (assuming a generation at 25 years) before the entire world's population is related to you.  the number of ancestors at the 29th generation is 536,870,912.  This correlates to the year 1298, at which point the earths population was approximately 500 million.

So if you were to do this for one individual, and assuming that person was the last human on earth, the human population would be 1,073,741,822 plus the "Sample Human".  Which is about 1/7 of what it is today.  I wish I had an algorithm that could account for the entire worlds population (somehow excluding overlap) and I wonder what that number would be.....

Edited by Zargoza, 25 June 2013 - 01:04 AM.

Don't you understand, this is Greek to me! Except I read Greek. This is Aramaic to me! Not the western dialect, I do speak that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users