Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The White Palace of Potala in Tibet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,580 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:44 AM

As a history major it suprises me I have never heard of this. I am going to research it further to learn more about it. However, what can anyone here, (if fimiliar) with it, tell me about it? Im guessing its not being used today? Or is it still a place of worship? I know the Dhali Lama used to live there... and the current one fled to India. Im just trying to figure out why its so damn huge and what they use(d) it for.!

Thanks!

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#2    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

Any link?

#3    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,744 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Potala_Palace

#4    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,580 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

i just wiki'd it... if anyone has not seen this, its pretty interesting, highly recommend you guys looking at it. But, let me know if you can answer any of those questions.

=)

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,233 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Wiki says it is currently a Museum. But, I'd not be surprised if the Chinese are not using it for other purposes... government, storage, research center... who knows.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,564 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Norbulingka, the Dalai Lama's former summer palace constructed in the 18th century, is located on the bank of the Lhasa River about 2km west of the Potala Palace in a lush green environment.  It comprises a large garden with four palace complexes and a monastery as well as other halls, and pavilions all integrated into the garden layout to create an exceptional work of art covering 36ha. The property is closely linked with religious and political issues, having been a place for contemplation and for signing political agreements.
The Historic Ensemble of the Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple and Norbulingka embody the administrative, religious and symbolic functions of the Tibetan theocratic government through their location, layout and architecture. The beauty and originality of the architecture of these three sites, their rich ornamentation and harmonious integration in a striking landscape, contribute to their Outstanding Universal Value.

Criterion (i): The Historic Ensemble of the Potala Palace is an outstanding work of human imagination and creativity, for its design, its decoration and its harmonious setting within a dramatic landscape. The three-in-one historic ensemble of the Potala Palace, with Potala the palace-fort complex, Norbulingka the garden residence and the Jokhang Temple Monastery the temple architecture, each with its distinctive characteristics, forms an outstanding example of traditional Tibetan architecture.

Historic Ensemble of the Potala Palace, Lhasa link

Sites everywhere seems to place the historical, architectural and artistic context higher than its function, and all sites I've found seems to repeat this criteria.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users