Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Abercrombie & Fitch targets skinny shoppers,

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

My wife told me about this story. Apparently it is making the rounds on Facebook....

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1339454

“He doesn’t want his core customers to see people who aren’t as hot as them wearing his clothing. People who wear his clothing should feel like they’re one of the ‘cool kids.’”

While Abercrombie didn’t respond to the Daily News’ request for comment, Jeffries admitted in a 2006 interview with Salon he only wants the popular people to wear his clothes.

“We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends,” he said. “A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely.

Just another millionare a-hole, or Genius???

Edited by DieChecker, 23 May 2013 - 07:49 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

I only buy his stuff if I can get it at the thrift store. does that make me a second hand popular person? Does that make me cheap?  Absolutely.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#3    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

after a trip to the states around 15yrs ago, I bought some A&F gear (had to. I was in new orleans, my luggage was in chicago), inc. a t-shirt with 'abercrombie' emblazoned across the front. back home in the UK, people thought abercrombie were the name of a band (a&f were unknown over here then), and all the 'cool kids' thought they were missing out on some new, underground band! at an ian brown gig, one guy actually asked me what I  thought of abercrombie's latest album!
glad i'm not one of the cool kids if they're that pretentious & stoopid, and i'm even considering getting fat so they'll hate me!

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#4    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Only people like Ahmed Angel should wear that poxy brand.

#5    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,406 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Plus sizes...heck, A&F doesn't even carry anything larger than a size 10 or 12. Plus size doesn't even start until size 16.  The average American woman is a 12 to 14. And what about taller women, are they supposed to be able to wear the tiny sizes that short women wear? I could probably squeeze into their largest size...but I wouldn't give them my business on principle alone. Not only that but they're way over priced as well.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#6    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

Many fashion houses (which Abercrombie is not one but is apparently taking cues from) do not make plus size clothes.

It is more expensive to make and does not sell as much.

Also, whoever thinks plus size is the new regular, are just encouraging unhealthy lifestyles that will cost society more with healthcare costs later on.

It is no secret that 50 years ago people were thinner in general. Trying to hate the fashion companies is silly when it is the fast food and beverage companies that profit on unhealthy misery.

The article mentions a 10 year old who is a size 12...

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 23 May 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Well I would boycott them, except I can't since I've never bought anything from them anyway and they aren't in my fashion league.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 23 May 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Many fashion houses (which Abercrombie is not one but is apparently taking cues from) do not make plus size clothes.

It is more expensive to make and does not sell as much.

Also, whoever thinks plus size is the new regular, are just encouraging unhealthy lifestyles that will cost society more with healthcare costs later on.

It is no secret that 50 years ago people were thinner in general. Trying to hate the fashion companies is silly when it is the fast food and beverage companies that profit on unhealthy misery.

The article mentions a 10 year old who is a size 12...
Let's make being fat stylish; all you have to do is make food expensive so that eating becomes something only the well-off can afford.  I guess that's the way is was in the past.

#9    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,609 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

It is like that way in some places still.

They did a study, men from certain African countries like larger women, it does signify healthiness there. In fact most of the diets in America in the early 1900s were for a woman to gain weight not lose it.

Today with the overabundance of food, something we never had while evolving, being thin shows discipline and health in some regards. So men are going to be attracted to both discipline and health for a potential mate to pass on genes to their children.

Now the study surveyed the men from the same African country when they immigrated to New York. It was shown their tastes had changed, they still did not like the thinness ideal of America but they no longer especially favored larger women, their tastes fell in the middle.

The bottom line is the ideal figure will change from time to time depending on the context of the culture and what is happening.

#10    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 23 May 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

It is no secret that 50 years ago people were thinner in general.
people like-
marilyn monroe?
diana dors?
gina lollabrigida?
raquel welch?
jayne mansfield?
mama cass?
bette midler?
zsa zsa gabor?
or-
alfred hitchcock?
raymond burr?
dom deluise?
mel brooks?
fred flintstone?
oliver hardy?
chubby checker?
bill halley?
demis roussos?
peter lorre?
fats domino?
50yrs ago people PREFERRED people with curves, and while there's always been thin people, it's only fairly recently, amongst the shallow, that it's become an imperitive.

if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#11    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,609 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

So when people in the future talk about our society today some will claim we were all thin and trump out a list of waifish celebrities while ignoring the many people on motorized scooters which cost tax dollars?

The ideal is not always the norm. Not then or now.

Curvy doesn't have to mean thick either. Some try to claim the word exclusively but there are plenty of thin women with curves.

The ideal for thinness is nothing new either as it can appear and fade throughout diffferent eras. Compare the more curvy Gibson girl ideal of the late 1800s to the more waifish flapper of the 1920s. The ideal of the '50s (Marilyn)  is also not that of the late '60s (Twiggy).

What is certain, beyond ideal figures, is that those in the past did not have to deal with astronomical rates of juvenile obesity or debilitating diabetes in adults. People in the past were normally thing, gained a small amount of weight in their 30s then began to lose it in their 50s, but today that is not the norm anymore.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 23 May 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#12    shrooma

shrooma

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

dunno where you live LBA, but here in the UK, until recently, having a bit of weight about you was always a sign of prosperity, and was usually lauded and envied.
and in the interests of impartiality, the flipside of the modern obesity argument is the alarming rise of anorexia & bulemia, in some cases before they've even reached their teens. and not to mention the teenage suicides brought on through body issues.
even amongst gay men it's an issue- if you're a fat homosexual, you're a single homosexual.
people who aren't as thin as racing snakes are villified, especially in the media, who might throw in the odd fat guy as a token, but as a rule, the media treats them as lepers.
see if you can find a copy of 'my mad, fat diary' if you want to know what it's like growing up in a plus sized world these days, it's not nice at all.
(even though the book DOES have a very positive position on being a large teenager)

#13    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

For all those people making certain comments about plus size people (You Know Who You Are...) why don't you step outside your little world, and walk in someone else's shoes for a little bit. Save me the "unhealthy lifestyle" BS....People who are skinny or not overweight can get diabetes, and high blood pressure also.
Some people are just beyond shallow.....

#14    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postshrooma, on 23 May 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

dunno where you live LBA, but here in the UK, until recently, having a bit of weight about you was always a sign of prosperity, and was usually lauded and envied.
and in the interests of impartiality, the flipside of the modern obesity argument is the alarming rise of anorexia & bulemia, in some cases before they've even reached their teens. and not to mention the teenage suicides brought on through body issues.
even amongst gay men it's an issue- if you're a fat homosexual, you're a single homosexual.
people who aren't as thin as racing snakes are villified, especially in the media, who might throw in the odd fat guy as a token, but as a rule, the media treats them as lepers.
see if you can find a copy of 'my mad, fat diary' if you want to know what it's like growing up in a plus sized world these days, it's not nice at all.
(even though the book DOES have a very positive position on being a large teenager)

:tu:  I really hate it when people vilify overweight people. Just because some people were blessed with skinny genes doesn't mean everyone else is.....
I'd like to point out also it's because of this overweight BIGOTRY (which it is) also is what is causing eating disorders to go through the roof. I almost lost my sister to an eating disorder. I blame the media and culture. It needs to stop. People should be able to fat without being ridiculed.
You don't like fat people? Don't look....

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,270 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Abercrombie & Fitch targets skinny shoppers

You don't say...

Apparently Jacamo target bigger people, poor skinny people not being able to buy clothes at Jacamo.

If you are shallow enough to believe there is some advantage to shopping at Abercrombie & Fitch and big people are missing out on something I think it is your mental state that needs addressing rather than your waistline.

Edited by Junior Chubb, 23 May 2013 - 12:08 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users