Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Abercrombie & Fitch targets skinny shoppers,

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#136    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

If only it were as easy as "not shopping" there. No, the moral outrage, the teaching of children it is OK to make fun of the old (ageism) and for their looks (plastic surgey) have to be part of the lessons these adults are passing on to the children. Hypocritical? Satisfying?

Whatever the case the CEO has more in common with the bullies who are now bullying him. The world would be better off without any of these example.

But hey I would never suggest anyone shop at A&E or get plastic surgery, I would discourage both. But for those who do either that is their choice and no need to make fun of them.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 26 May 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#137    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,215 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

The reality here is the CEO of A&F has brought criticism squarely/rightfully upon himself by his own policy of elitism and marketing choices that showcase A&F as catering to elitist snobs. I won't even go into the marketing that sexualizes clothing to be sold to young adolescent girls. My pointing this out does not make me a "bully".

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#138    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 15,141 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

lol@LBA I am glad I do not share your smug moral superiority.

"You cannot pass," he said. … "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

#139    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostLilly, on 26 May 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

The reality here is the CEO of A&F has brought criticism squarely/rightfully upon himself by his own policy of elitism and marketing choices that showcase A&F as catering to elitist snobs. I won't even go into the marketing that sexualizes clothing to be sold to young adolescent girls. My pointing this out does not make me a "bully".

Pointing that out is not bullying, agreed. We agree there.

(:

Making fun of how someone looks kinda is...

:/

Those doing so on twitter and tumblr are being counterproductive.

Unsure or not if what is being said here is that A&F shoppers are "elitist snobs"? That is who is being catered and marketed to. Maybe I missed something because I don't think anyone actually thinks that here.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 26 May 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#140    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,215 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 26 May 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Unsure or not if what is being said here is that A&F shoppers are "elitist snobs"? That is who is being catered and marketed to. Maybe I missed something because I don't think anyone actually thinks that here.

If the shoe fits:

“A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

Sounds rather elitist and snobby if you ask me.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#141    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,243 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

absolutely ...

Posted Image

~ kid says "I am going to be a CEO of a fashion empire"

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#142    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,777 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 26 May 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Posted Image
As long at the kid saves 1 cent for Social Security, 1 cent for Federal Tax and 1 cent for State Tax, he'll do fine.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#143    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 26 May 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

If only it were as easy as "not shopping" there. No, the moral outrage, the teaching of children it is OK to make fun of the old (ageism) and for their looks (plastic surgey) have to be part of the lessons these adults are passing on to the children. Hypocritical? Satisfying?

Whatever the case the CEO has more in common with the bullies who are now bullying him. The world would be better off without any of these example.

But hey I would never suggest anyone shop at A&E or get plastic surgery, I would discourage both. But for those who do either that is their choice and no need to make fun of them.

All stores traget groups. Hot topic goes after certain people, some stores target younger people some target older. Radio stations target diffrent groups. Tv channels target diffrent groups. Car advertisements target diffrent groups.

Your making a big deal out of nonething. Should we make laws forceing stores to sale all size cloths? no its dumb. All products try to produce a image around their product.

The store does not have signs up saying "fat people cant shop here", So no kid is picking up name calling from a store. They just choose to not sale that size

Edited by spartan max2, 26 May 2013 - 11:03 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#144    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,243 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Its not just about what they sell as much as what they're saying they're selling which is not selling what they're suppose to be selling when they says they are selling what they are selling now, which by the way is not what selling is all about.

If its just about a sweater and how much it costs, feel or looks on you ... no one gives a crap, this here is a fashion, lifestyle culture war for the minds of the younger/future generation.

Posted Image

you people decide ....

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
~

#145    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 26 May 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Its not just about what they sell as much as what they're saying they're selling which is not selling what they're suppose to be selling when they says they are selling what they are selling now, which by the way is not what selling is all about.
(THAT part gave me a headache 3i)

Posted Image

you people decide ....

(THAT part cured it!)
:-)

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#146    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,243 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Postshrooma, on 26 May 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

(THAT part cured it!)
:-)

proper planning my firend ... its all in the planning ... there's no 'off' switch up here you know ... *taps noggins*

~

#147    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 26 May 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

proper planning my firend ... its all in the planning ...
setting my alarm clock to get up on time for work is about the extent of my planning 3i, the rest, I just kinda wing it and hope for the best!
(LOVE the new profile pic by the way!)

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#148    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,243 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

th

View Postshrooma, on 26 May 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

setting my alarm clock to get up on time for work is about the extent of my planning 3i, the rest, I just kinda wing it and hope for the best!
(LOVE the new profile pic by the way!)

then is you that tells the clock or is it the clock that tells you ?

~best is as best will do
:)

{ isn't it ? I was digging in my back ups, I remember it but had a hard time finding it, glad I found it, positively loving it, }

she's my soul mate :blush:  - art by Julien Houssard if I'm not wrong ....
the folders got all messed up when I last moved things around ... I gotta go dig to be sure

~

#149    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,493 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 26 May 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

lol@LBA I am glad I do not share your smug moral superiority.

I don't think she's been smug at all.  She is one of the few to keep his/her head on this whole thing.     The guy said some stupid stuff, but nothing was wrong with what he said.  Maybe the company will suffer, we'll wait and see.   LBA has done nothing but speak out about people's "mob" mentality.

#150    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 26 May 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

th

then is you that tells the clock or is it the clock that tells you ?
I dunno 3i, i'm always awake 5mns before the alarm goes off, just in case the damn thing's lying to me & decides to stay silent instead of waking me!

she's my soul mate :blush:  - art by Julien Houssard if I'm not wrong ....
it's got a slightly geigeresque quality to it, a little unsettling, but people with three eyes probably would be, but an excellent picture nontheless!

-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users