Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 1 votes

Abercrombie & Fitch targets skinny shoppers,


  • Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#31    rashore

rashore

    Telekinetic

  • 7,639 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Womens clothing sizes is a joke... Has been for ages.
Like for me, I'm 5'3", about 130 pounds. I can go into one store, buy jeans that are size 2 and they fit great, in another store a size 8 is snug... Start getting into using patterns to make clothes and I'm a modern size 12, a 50's size 16, and going back further like the 20's, I bounce between sizes 14, 16 and 36 depending on the pattern. Some of the older patterns don't really fit right even when they are made in the right size because they are meant to be worn with undergarments most women just don't regularly wear anymore. Ya get that sometimes a bit too when you pick up a vintage clothing piece at the thrift shops.

A&F creeps me out, their stores are creepy, there's something vaguely disturbing about their advertising too, and I think their general attitude sucks.. That said, I don't see anything wrong in general with a store targeting smaller sized people. Petite clothing has been around for ages, stores for big and tall men and larger women have been around for a while too.


#32    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Check out: http://omg.yahoo.com...20774.html?vp=1

Quote

"Omg! Insider" sat down with Baker, who is fighting back with Abercrombie ads of her own, where she poses topless with a male model and reinterprets the A&F letters to stand for a message she truly believes in, "Attractive & Fat."
"I don't really care what Abercrombie really truly thinks about this, to be honest with you. I don't have the energy to dislike Mike Jeffries," she said during the interview. "There's so much negativity in the world, it doesn't need to be perpetuated."
Baker also included an open letter to Jeffries on her website, the Militant Baker, criticizing the company for its narrow view of what beauty really is and promoting the idea that every size is beautiful.
"The only thing you've done through your comments (about thin being beautiful and offering XL and XXL in your stores for men) is reinforce the unoriginal concept that fat women are social failures, value-less, and undesirable," Baker wrote. "Well, actually, that's not all you have done. You have also created an incredible opportunity for social change."

You GO GIRL! :)

Let's show people that everyone is beautiful in their own way. Let's teach people to love their bodies.


#33    Big Jim

Big Jim

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amelia, Ohio

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

A&F marketing their clothes to skinny or cool people is no different than Mercedes Benz or Rolex marketing their products to rich people.  Have we gotten so far away from the concept of free enterprise that we would even question the rights of buyers and sellers to find each other?  And what's all this talk about fat people being some kind of social pariah that is costing others' money through taxes?  Don't we all have to buy medical insurance under the inaptly named Affordable Care Act?  I'm fat, hence the moniker, and I use the medical establishment far less than the average person, skinny or not.  Those that disdain obese people should keep in mind that obesity is often a secondary condition arising from a lack of normal activity due to other diseases or injuries.  As for scooters, they are just one of many devices used to overcome physical deficiencies, no different than dentures, glasses or hearing aids.  I walk with a cane due to an old injury.  The lack of mobility has contributed to my weight gain but I'm aware that the perception may be that my weight has caused my lameness.  It seems odd to me that in an age where all lifestyles and proclivities are finally gaining acceptance that we can't accept the fact that people come in all shapes and sizes.  We've abandoned a narrow definition of "normal" in almost every other area yet continue to cite certain body measurements and ratios as ideal.  Fat is the new black, time to move on.

Edited by Big Jim, 23 May 2013 - 02:38 PM.


#34    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

View Postrashore, on 23 May 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Womens clothing sizes is a joke... Has been for ages.
Like for me, I'm 5'3", about 130 pounds. I can go into one store, buy jeans that are size 2 and they fit great, in another store a size 8 is snug... Start getting into using patterns to make clothes and I'm a modern size 12, a 50's size 16, and going back further like the 20's, I bounce between sizes 14, 16 and 36 depending on the pattern. Some of the older patterns don't really fit right even when they are made in the right size because they are meant to be worn with undergarments most women just don't regularly wear anymore. Ya get that sometimes a bit too when you pick up a vintage clothing piece at the thrift shops.

A&F creeps me out, their stores are creepy, there's something vaguely disturbing about their advertising too, and I think their general attitude sucks.. That said, I don't see anything wrong in general with a store targeting smaller sized people. Petite clothing has been around for ages, stores for big and tall men and larger women have been around for a while too.

I'm 5' 2" and almost 130 lbs....And I have to tell you, I just can't find a pair of jeans made for SHORT people. Seriously, I have to hem ALL my pants when I buy them, because they are always too long!


#35    aztek

aztek

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,404 posts
  • Joined:12 Nov 2006

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

i'm 6,4 220lb, and i have very hard time finding clothes that fit right. i can't even sit down in most jeans without having the plummers butt. the cuts are horible. why can't they make jeans using same cuts as army bdu pants use. those are so much more comfortable, and never fall, pull, cut in.

you girls think you have problems with A&F, pff. lol

RESIDENT TROLL.

#36    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostBig Jim, on 23 May 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

A&F marketing their clothes to skinny or cool people is no different than Mercedes Benz or Rolex marketing their products to rich people.  Have we gotten so far away from the concept of free enterprise that we would even question the rights of buyers and sellers to find each other?  And what's all this talk about fat people being some kind of social pariah that is costing others' money through taxes?  Don't we all have to buy medical insurance under the inaptly named Affordable Care Act?  I'm fat, hence the moniker, and I use the medical establishment far less than the average person, skinny or not.  Those that disdain obese people should keep in mind that obesity is often a secondary condition arising from a lack of normal activity due to other diseases or injuries.  As for scooters, they are just one of many devices used to overcome physical deficiencies, no different than dentures, glasses or hearing aids.  I walk with a can due to an old injury.  The lack of mobility has contributed to my weight gain but I'm aware that the perception may be that my weight has caused my lameness.  It seems odd to me that in an age where all lifestyles and proclivities are finally gaining acceptance that we can't accept the fact that people come in all shapes and sizes.  We've abandoned a narrow definition of "normal" in almost every other area yet continue to cite certain body measurements and ratios as ideal.  Fat is the new black, time to move on.

Great post. :tu:

Unfortunately, people are bigoted when it comes to the weight issue. Maybe they should walk a mile in someone else's shoes before they speak.
I've seen the looks people give my sister-in-law (who is very overweight, due to a thyroid condition, which is hereditary in her family) and the little comments from people. It makes me SOOO MAD! She is a lovely, sweet person, but all people see his her weight.
My husband is overweight, and I could care less. I love him. His weight could matter less to me. And both of them, don't eat as much as I do, yet I'm not what you would consider overweight, by any means. Not to mention we all eat lots of fruits and veggies around here, and most of our food is organic.
Also, pregnancy weight is awful to work off! I used to weigh less than I do now, but I just haven't been able to work off all that baby weight.... :(
But, my husband just says, "Just more of you to love, baby...."


#37    Myles

Myles

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 5,391 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 May 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

I dunno
I dunno; discrimination by itself is a bad thing.  Capitalism often provides for one group and slights another, such as urban over rural, young over old, wealthy neighborhoods over poor neighborhoods.  It happens as a natural part of a merchant trying to maximize profit, and sometimes regulation can mitigate it a little.  I would not assume however that capitalism will fix it: often the underserved just go without.
But I don't think a company should be forced to market to larger women if they don't want to.   So letting it run it's course is the only option.
If there is a market for it, someone will capitalize on it.


#38    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

View Postaztek, on 23 May 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

i'm 6,4 220lb, and i have very hard time finding clothes that fit right. i can't even sit down in most jeans without having the plummers butt. the cuts are horible. why can't they make jeans using same cuts as army bdu pants use. those are so much more comfortable, and never fall, pull, cut in.

you girls think you have problems with A&F, pff. lol

LOL...:)
My poor hubby has the SAME problem! So don't worry. You can buy shirts that  have really long tails that can hide that!
I like to tell my husband, when he bends over and you can see his crack, "You know crack kills...." lol


#39    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

    Heatseeker

  • Member
  • 10,968 posts
  • Joined:19 Dec 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Avengers Tower

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

As long as these are made by foreign children for 2 cents a day, who cares if they don't make 5x XL?

Posted Image

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#40    aztek

aztek

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,404 posts
  • Joined:12 Nov 2006

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostKowalski, on 23 May 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

LOL... :)
You can buy shirts that  have really long tails that can hide that!
I like to tell my husband, when he bends over and you can see his crack, "You know crack kills...." lol
either that or walk around like that, i'm sure no one will pay no mind to the crack in outfit like this

Posted Image

RESIDENT TROLL.

#41    Myles

Myles

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 5,391 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostKowalski, on 23 May 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Let's show people that everyone is beautiful in their own way. Let's teach people to love their bodies.

I'm on the fence on this one.    I guess it's different at different ages.    I think alot of the issues we see is because the parents accept that their kid is fat and just leave it be.   Kids should not be taught to be Ok with their bodies if the are fat.  They should not be made fun of either.    They should be taught and trained to do what is neccesary to be at a healthy weight.
It certainly isn't easy to lose weight once you have it.   That's why it is so important for parents to do what is right for their children and raise them without letting them gain unneccesary weight.  

It's a little different for adults.   There are a number of reasons they are overweight.    Some is out of their control.   I think it is important not to give up. At least, we should maintain our current weight and not let it balloon any higher.   As I said earlier, I need to drop at least 15 pounds to get to where I will feel good (it was 20).    I'm getting there slowly.   Just avoiding eating some crap I used to.  Today in the office we had donuts and bananas left over from a meeting.    I grapped a banana.  It was a conscious effort on my part to choose fruit over donuts.  
Mainly, I try not to consume more calories than I burn each day.


#42    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postaztek, on 23 May 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

either that or walk around like that, i'm sure no one will pay no mind to the crack in outfit like this

Posted Image

LOL.... :)


#43    Royal

Royal

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined:25 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Omega

  • ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Personally I don't care who a company targets with it's merchandise and advertising. If you don't like what they offer in their store, go somewhere else. I do however have a problem with a CEO, who is responsible for the jobs of his employees, making assinine statements that will drive away potential customers. The stockholders of A@F should demand his resignation!

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#44    lightly

lightly

    metaphysical therapist

  • Member
  • 6,546 posts
  • Joined:01 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan U.S.A.

  • "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

I can't believe how much money people spend on clothes (especially women) .      The sweat shirt i'm wearing cost 25¢  at the local resale shop  ( sort of a clearance sale rack )
    other than socks and underwear.. i buy almost all clothes  Resale .    I'm not frugal.. i'm CHEAP!    I get a kick out of the jeans at the mall that are pre-faded  and tattered etc.  LOL too funny.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#45    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 21,284 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Personally, I find the fact that A&F does not want to sell to larger people to be fine... It is the CEOs attitude that bothers me.

Reminds me of the new Star Trek movie... Khan: "I AM better then you."

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users